Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone, for a greak Geek of the Week experience! I valued the opportunity to shamelessly shill for Kirkland brand peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets, now available at a store near you. The questions were fun as well! I’m super stoked to be able to pass the torch now to Michael, who is also board game reviewer and an absolute guru on board game accessibility. Through Meeple Like Us, Michael has led a charge on looking at board games from a few different angles, and I think the perspectives shared there are both valuable and super interesting. Check it out!

Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
Come see us at http://meeplelikeus.co.uk
badge
Persistently controversial. The bad boy of board games.
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Hi all! My name is Michael Heron and I run the board game blog Meeple Like Us. I review games, which is the equivalent around these parts of saying 'I consume nutrients in order to live', but I also focus pretty deeply on the accessibility implications of game mechanics and broader aesthetic design. I work at Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen, Scotland as a lecturer in the department of Computer Science and Digital Media. My research interests include computer ethics; storytelling and narrative; accessibility; games, and accessibility *of* games. Meeple Like Us is an extension of that latter section of that work into the analogue realm - I've been doing it for a bit over a year now (we had our first birthday on the 6th of April) and it's been utterly fascinating to deconstruct this phenomenally rich area of interaction.

My hobbies outside of gaming include prolonged bouts of insomnia, wondering where all the time in the day went, and repeatedly hitting F5 on my browser until something new appears on the Internet. These hobbies may, *perhaps* be interlinked in some kind of subtle way that I’m yet to fathom.

Useful links if you want to find out more about me and Meeple Like Us are:

http://meeplelikeus.co.uk
http://michael.imaginary-realities.com
https://twitter.com/meeplelikeus

Looking forward to chatting with y’all over the coming week!

Poll
Two Truths and a Lie!
I once came fourth in a handwriting competition in which only three people, myself included, had entered.
My (then teenaged) uncle once zipped me up in a sports bag and hung me up in a wardrobe as low-effort alternative to babysitting.
I was once punched in the face by a student's mother because I gave her son a poor grade on his assessment.
      66 answers
Poll created by kalchio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Michael! I was not aware of your blog, but from your synopsis it sounds enthralling. I'm still working on some questions for you, no doubt once I familiarize myself with your blog they'll come thick and fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of life as a college lecturer?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting times! Many thanks to Eric for passing the torch, and I'm looking forward to chatting over the coming week. :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R

Thank you!

1) My experience with war gaming is very limited - in fact, it's probably reasonable to say it's non-existent in any real sense. I used to play old computer wargames on my C64 and Amiga back in the 80s and 90s - the kind that SSI and later companies were putting out on a semi-regular basis. In terms of actual tabletop experiences, the closest I've gotten is to Memoir 44, which is to say 'I've gotten close enough to see the field of battle through some very powerful binoculars'. They certainly look very cool though.

2) As above I'm afraid!

3) Oh dear, this isn't going very well! It's one of my secret shames, but I have never played Risk. I have several versions of it on my shelves, but I've never done more than open them and sniff the insides[1]. I am planning at some point to get around to playing the Game of Thrones version of Risk (one of the versions I have) but for the most part my limiting factor is time, rather than enthusiasm, and there are already more games that I want to play than I have time for.

4) Hey look over there, a three headed monkey!

5) I tend to focus my attentions, simply as a consequence of the intention behind Meeple Like Us, on the games that people are most likely to have heard of. As such, I don't have a deep bench of obscurity to call on. I'd say the best game I know that I don't hear people talking about much is Once Upon a Time, and the most obscure one I have that I actually like (albeit, with caveats) is Billionaire Banshee.

6) Hahaha, best question ever. If I'm feeling in a cynical mood I'd probably say 'Telestrations', because in the transmission time between lecture and application everything I say seems to have gone through half a dozen instances of translation. Dixit too, because things I say often seem to be interpreted in curiously whimsical ways at times. Forbidden Island? We're all working together but we're all barely keeping our heads above water.

Real answer though is probably Concept, which manages to capture both the frustration that goes along with trying to explain something *seemingly obvious* in just the right way for it to click with someone that finds the same thing *completely baffling*, and changing your strategy for that in line with the signals you're getting from the students with whom you're talking.

Thanks for the questions!

[1] For that new cardboard smell. I'm... I'm not a weirdo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Penguinised wrote:
I was not aware of your blog, but from your synopsis it sounds enthralling.

Even a year in I'm still being surprised by how nuanced and subtle the accessibility implications are. It is an ongoing obsession - it's the research equivalent of finding someone left a pot of gold right at your doorstep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Michael!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Michael!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

Thank you. :-)

Mustrum Ridcully from the Discworld series of books. I'm a huge Terry Pratchett fan - his books have been part of my life since I read my first copy of Mort as a tween. Ridcully steals every scene where he's a presence.

Raistlin from the Dragonlance novels would also be a possibility, but the affection I felt for him when I was young has cooled and simmered a bit as I grew older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkos wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:

6) Hahaha, best question ever. If I'm feeling in a cynical mood I'd probably say 'Telestrations', because in the transmission time between lecture and application everything I say seems to have gone through half a dozen instances of translation. Dixit too, because things I say often seem to be interpreted in curiously whimsical ways at times. Forbidden Island? We're all working together but we're all barely keeping our heads above water.

Real answer though is probably Concept, which manages to capture both the frustration that goes along with trying to explain something *seemingly obvious* in just the right way for it to click with someone that finds the same thing *completely baffling*, and changing your strategy for that in line with the signals you're getting from the students with whom you're talking.

Have you played Alchemists? As a former academic myself, no game has come closer to capturing the feel of the academic publish or perish, student grinder of the ivory tower better. It's peppered with CGE's trademark wry humor, and the theme just pops to life for me. Your interactions with students, getting prestige by debunking theories... even if they are your own, and the way you hawk your research to the public, desperate for funding, are all hilarious to me.

On a different note, I'd just to re-iterate how awesome I think it is that you do the work you do with Meeple Like Us. I'm hoping your voice encourages more game developers to pay attention to these issues, because I think we have so much more room to make this hobby more welcoming and accessible to everyone.

I know you have spoken about assembling a body of examples and guidelines and research on the topic, but have you ever thought about offering more of an accessibility consulting? I see a lot of companies that have their hearts in the right place, but still end up missing the mark. Some recent examples are games like Fuse, from Renegade, or the upcoming Century from Plan B - in both cases, the developers cared about color blindness, and tested the colors with people they knew who were colorblind, but I still struggle with the colors in both. I've repeatedly pointed out how easy these things are to fix with shape, iconography, size, etc, yet the message doesn't seem to be reaching the right people. A game like Century that used four shapes (even simple ones) with four colors for the resources could be so much more accessible, and I feel like if game companies were reaching out to someone with experience, like you, they would get this information up front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:

Have you played Alchemists? As a former academic myself, no game has come closer to capturing the feel of the academic publish or perish, student grinder of the ivory tower better. It's peppered with CGE's trademark wry humor, and the theme just pops to life for me. Your interactions with students students, getting prestige by debunking theories... even if they are your own, and the way you hawk your research to the public, desperate for funding, are all hilarious to me.

I have it right there on a shelf, but it's one of a shamefully large number of games that I've not yet managed to find time to play. That sounds like I should definitely move it up the to-do list. I'm not sure though if I'd feel happier being good at that game, or bad at it...

eviljelloman wrote:

On a different note, I'd just to re-iterate how awesome I think it is that you do the work you do with Meeple Like Us. I'm hoping your voice encourages more game developers to pay attention to these issues, because I think we have so much more room to make this hobby more welcoming and accessible to everyone.

I really appreciate that, thank you - and I appreciate that you've posted some of the work to Reddit (with all the accompanying Karmic risk!) to help highlight the effort. I came to this topic from the adjacent area of video game accessibility, and I see a lot of parallels. Board-games, despite being a much more mature medium, are maybe fifteen or so years behind where video games are in terms of accessibility. The good news is that we know this is a winnable battle - it's been done before. Awareness raising is the first crucial step in that. I'm certainly not the first person to raise these issues in tabletop gaming, but every additional voice makes the case heard more strongly.

eviljelloman wrote:

I know you have spoken about assembling a body of examples and guidelines and research on the topic, but have you ever thought about offering more of an accessibility consulting? I see a lot of companies that have their hearts in the right place, but still end up missing the mark. Some recent examples are games like Fuse, from Renegade, or the upcoming Century from Plan B - in both cases, the developers cared about color blindness, and tested the colors with people they knew who were colorblind, but I still struggle with the colors in both. I've repeatedly pointed out how easy these things are to fix with shape, iconography, size, etc, yet the message doesn't seem to be reaching the right people. A game like Century that used four shapes (even simple ones) with four colors for the resources could be so much more accessible, and I feel like if game companies were reaching out to someone with experience, like you, they would get this information up front.

Absolutely, and I would love to do some of this on a regular basis. There are though a lot of (hopefully not impossible) problems though that would need navigated. As someone with academic experience yourself, you'll be familiar with many of them.

The first is that truthfully I'm capacity locked - if I'm honest with myself, I don't have the time to devote to the projects to which I've already committed myself. The result is that some projects that are supposedly on the front-burner just aren't getting the attention they deserve. I've reached the point where I have to be firm with myself - if I take on a new substantial responsibility, I have to give up one of my existing ones. I'd love to offer 'pro bono' accessibility consultancy because I believe in the project, but it's just not possible as it currently stands. I encourage people to drop me a mail or such if they have questions, and I'm happy to give advice and the like whenever I can. But that's a far cry from the kind of detailed 'pre-publication' teardowns I'd like to do. The will is there, but the time isn't.

Outside of offering it as a free service, then it could take the place of some other paid work I do - but I have no idea at all how feasible it is to offer this kind of thing. The best I can say is 'If you're a publisher and would like to explore, with me, whether there is a way to subsidize accessibility consultancy on your games, please get in touch although I don't know whether it's at all possible'.

The most feasible route to this is as an attachment to my academic responsibilities - Meeple Like Us already straddles the line between 'personal obsession' and 'research project'. I don't get formal support from my employer to run the site, but I do get to use it as evidence of research activity and public outreach. I'm currently working on a couple of research grant bids that would provide formal funding for the work, and absolutely that would enable me to work directly with publishers on accessible tabletop design. If any publisher/designer reading would be interested in participating in such a thing they should get in touch to see what we could potentially do together.

TLDR: Yes, I'd love to! But it's difficult to find the time to do it pro bono, and I really have no idea how to make it work as paid consultancy. Hopefully research funding will serve as a way to help bridge those two issues, but fittingly for a game related project the success of such endeavors are a roll of the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Michael and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Michael. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:
Congratulations Michael. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?

It has to be the SR-2 Normandy (from Mass Effect 2 and 3) because I have spent an awful lot of hours on board. I knew her inside and out and she never let me down.

A close second would be the TCS Tiger's Claw, where I served (with distinction) as Wing Commander for many exciting tours of duty against the Kilrathi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Michael!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Jayson
msg tools
Congratulations on Geek of the Week!

Here are my questions for you:

1 What was the first modern boardgame you played, and do you still play it?

2 Do you play video games? If so, what are your current favorites?

3 Do you have a favourite boardgame reviewer that you think should get more notice?

4 What's your favourite book and/or movie?

5 Who would you invite to your fictional dinner party?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mzmeeple wrote:
Congratulations on Geek of the Week!

Here are my questions for you:

1 What was the first modern boardgame you played, and do you still play it?

2 Do you play video games? If so, what are your current favorites?

3 Do you have a favourite boardgame reviewer that you think should get more notice?

4 What's your favourite book and/or movie?

5 Who would you invite to your fictional dinner party?

Enjoy your week!

Thank you!

1) It was Carcassonne, and yes I do still find myself breaking it out now and again. It doesn't come out all that often though, and when I play it it's often on the phone.

2) I do! In fact, I've been enthusing a bit on twitter about a couple of them I finished just this week. The first is Stories Untold, which is a gorgeously atmospheric series of small story vignettes set in the grim darkness of the 1980s. It's really nice, and the first of the stories is available as a free Steam demo.

The second, which I just finished today, is the Sexy Brutale. Full disclosure - I'm friends of old with one of the founders of the company. The Sexy Brutale is so sharp, and so clever, that I'm genuinely amazed my buddy had anything to do with it. ;-P

3) Robert Florence, of Cardboard Children, was a firm favourite of mine until he hung up his dice bag. I hardly ever agreed with any of his reviews, but I loved reading them regardless. These two genuinely made me tear up:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/21/cardboard-childr...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/27/cardboard-childr...

Currently, there are a few. I really enjoy What's Eric Playing - Eric is the one who put me forth for Geek of the Week so you all know him already. I also really like Dicey Exploits, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx5bnIbrSmGsFFhJ9C6SeCg

4) My favourite movie for a long, long time was Casablanca. Of late though it has probably become V for Vendetta. There's something about the bleak aesthetic and world of V that sends shivers down every spine I have. My favourite book - oh god, that's almost impossible to answer. So I'll say 'my favourite book I've read recently' is Off to be the Wizard by Scott Meyer. It's an immensely fun book that looks at what it might be like to find the cheat code to life.

5) I'm a pretty hardcore introvert, so I'd probably send out invitations and then cancel at the last minute. I don't know, really. I'm going to have to think about that. I might edit in a better answer later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkos wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:

If you do decide to take the Axis & Allies plunge, the officially anointed beginner's version, Axis & Allies 1941, can be had for around $20 and plays two to five players in 3-4 hours. I like it, but I'm biased, so there's that.

Happy gaming either way!

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
drakkos wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:

If you do decide to take the Axis & Allies plunge, the officially anointed beginner's version, Axis & Allies 1941, can be had for around $20 and plays two to five players in 3-4 hours. I like it, but I'm biased, so there's that.

Happy gaming either way!

-M_R

I've added it to my big ol' list of games to get. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Michael, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Curtis
United States
Lalaland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Michael! I enjoy your blog very much! So glad someone is focusing on accessibility issues. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want gaming to be more inclusive for everyone!

My question: Since you live in Scotland, who are your favorite Scottish musicians or bands?

Also, what is your single greatest pet peeve when it comes to games accessibility (i.e. common designer/publisher gaffes or missteps)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Analog Lad wrote:
Hello Michael! I enjoy your blog very much! So glad someone is focusing on accessibility issues. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want gaming to be more inclusive for everyone!

My question: Since you live in Scotland, who are your favorite Scottish musicians or bands?

Also, what is your single greatest pet peeve when it comes to games accessibility (i.e. common designer/publisher gaffes or missteps)?

Thank you - I think for the most part it's just that publishers haven't quite realised yet how important it is. I figure that if at least one person is constantly yelling about it, someone might hear!

My favourite Scottish band is probably Texas - White on Blonde is an album that is still easily in my top ten ever. I also think the Proclaimers are marvelous, although that wasn't always the case.

I think the two things that can most consistently be described as 'peeves' in terms of accessibility are poorly chosen colours and defaulting to 'he' in the manual. Those two are so common and so easily fixed that I do grumble a little whenever I encounter them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Curtis
United States
Lalaland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers! Texas made a small splash in the States when they put out their first record some years back but I haven't followed their subsequent career - I'll have to check out White on Blonde! As for myself, I feel Belle and Sebastian are the greatest Scottish band ever, but I'm also quite partial to the Cocteau Twins and Pilot.

The defaulting to "he" and the lack of female representation in characters/roles is also my number one source of irritation with game publishers! It blows my mind that they are essentially shutting out half of the population...just from a financial standpoint it makes no sense.

Anyway, best wishes, and keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Analog Lad wrote:
Thanks for your answers! Texas made a small splash in the States when they put out their first record some years back but I haven't followed their subsequent career - I'll have to check out White on Blonde! As for myself, I feel Belle and Sebastian are the greatest Scottish band ever, but I'm also quite partial to the Cocteau Twins and Pilot.

I somehow always forget about Belle and Sebastian, and I'm ashamed to say I didn't even realise the Cocteau Twins were Scottish! I also think I may have mentally mixed them up with the Thompson Twins (god, I am so old).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Michael!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Jayson
msg tools
Since this thread is pretty quiet, I'm going to ask a few more questions if you don't mind.

1 Have you ever thought about designing a game of your own?

2 Do you have a favourite app version of a board-game? If so, what is it?

3 Do you have any accessibility needs of your own? What's the motivation behind doing your blog?

4 Dogs or cats?

5 You talk a lot about diversity and inclusion in your teardowns. How is that going?

6 How many times do you play games before reviewing them? How many times before you feel like you can do a teardown?

Thanks in advance for your time. I hope double dipping is okay here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.