Alhambra» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news of what the upcoming expansion will contain? All I know is that there will be an expansion this spring/summer.

If you don't know what will be in the expansion, feel free to make an educated guess (or wish).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
Doomfarer (#27274),

Check oout this update on Gamefest:

http://www.gamefest.com/news/gonecardboard_detail/483_0_7_0_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
They didn't say anything there. To me it just looks like a reprint of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer (#27449),

Sorry about that. Take this link to the Nurnberg preview page. Scroll down to the listings for Queen games. There are details about the expansion (including photos) there.

http://www.gamefest.com/news/feature_detail/306_0_3_0_C/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Expansion?
The expansion appears to be several small additions to the game, each of which can be used together or indepenedently. The four additions would then allow 16 different ways of playing the game. Personally, from the description, I think one will either use them all or none at all. This is what was said about the additional game materials;

Wolfgang Panning has also moved into the Alhambra and has co-designed the expansion with Dirk Henn. The publisher is calling this the 'first expansion', which hints at more to come. The expansion, called "The Grace of the Vizier" consist of four expansion modules in a single box, each of which is playable on its own or all together:

- Die Gunst des Wesirs (The Grace of the Vizier) This appears to be a special tile in each of the six player colors, which can be turned in to take a turn out of turn order. This will probably be a one-shot ability, although I imagine that all players could get these tiles back after all have used them, too. It will be interesting to see if this is used.
- Die Bauhütten (The Site Offices) permit scoring of all adjacent buildings of the same colour. These appear to be tiles in the picture, but I am not at all sure how these will be used. Unless the bonus is substantial, I think this will be an underutilized variant, as most people will choose in favor of a long wall.
- Die Bonuskarten (The Bonus Cards) double the value of the building they are on. Okay, these are cards, so how are they going to be on the tiles? And will these be shuffled into the money deck? Distributed at game's beginning? I definitely need more information.
- Die Wechselstuben (The Changing Rooms) make it possible to pay with two types of currency. Not sure how these cards are going to make it into play, but they could be either very useful or potentially unbalancing. This seems a lot like the one special ability in Taj Mahal, which can only be used by one player, until another player takes it away. Here, it looks to be considerably more luck-driven, especially if these cards are simply shuffled into the money deck.
My guess? Yes, the special cards in these expansions will be shuffled into the money deck and a player may either take money as usual OR take a special card. This would put it in line with a similar mechanic in several of Alan Moon's games.

Oh, and this is billed as the first expansion for Alhambra. Does this mean more down the road? This could get interesting. Any other thoughts or comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RandallPeek (#27556),

I'm a little disappointed by the descriptions of these add-ons. They sound more like 'frills' than novel integrated mechancis. Still, I'm hopeful that these add-ons will play better than they sound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor ywt
Hong Kong
HK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion news

The expansion consists of 4 modules which may be combined - in any combination - to successfully expand the basic game. It is fully colour-compatible with all "Palace of Alhambra" editions of the game. With earlier editions, it is fully compatible -- if a trifle confusing due to the colour combinations.

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS EXPANSION REQUIRES THE "ALHAMBRA" GAME. IT IS NOT A STAND-ALONE PRODUCT. This English expansion, is fully compatible with the German Alhambra "Die Palast von Alhambra" edition, they are produced in an identical manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erika H.
United States
Bath
Maine
flag msg tools
Just a quick testimonial about the Alhambra expansion:

My partner & I just picked up the Alhambra expansion set in Zurich last week, and tried a game with it (we always play with just 2 players). Obviously, it's in German so I had to rely on him to translate and explain. It took a while!

I found the 4 different modules a bit confusing to add all at once, particularly because two of them have similar functions.

The most useful module was the currency exchange cards, which allow you to pay in, say, dinars for a building that's on a differency currency spot.

The two overlapping modules are cards and tiles that boost your total building count (in each category).

The fourth module was so silly that I insisted that we leave it out: a small wooden token that gets flipped over to extend play.... or something. Like I said, it was too overwhelming to add all 4 modules at once -- but the nice thing is being able to pick & choose which to play with.

Perhaps my opinion will change as we play more, but my immediate impression was that beyond the currency exchange, the expansion set didn't take the game to a much higher level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yoginizora (#32069),

Any chance to get an English translation of the rules?

I just got the expansion and i'd like to try it but i don't speak German

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.