My wife and I are playing with a friend and her 9 year old daughter on a semi-regular basis. Sometimes another adult (the girl's aunt) will join in. Naturally, what we play depends largely on what the girl likes. We have a few games we play regularly, but we could use some more recommendations, for sure
So far, her favorite games are Dixit and Machi Koro.
Games she liked: Spinderella, Loony Quest, Cockroach Poker.
Games she did not like, though I thought they might fit: Sushi Go! (the theme did not do anything for her, I guess?), Camel Up (I guess she would have rather played a racing game with the camels instead of the betting thing), Hanabi (Looked boring to her; also, if we only play against the game, why shouldn't we be allowed to cheat?), Bucket King 3D (just did not click for some reason).
For me, the parameters for the recommendations would be:
- Plays 4 and preferably also 5 players
- Plays in 20-30 minutes
- Not too thinky
- Nice, colorful art. Looks like fun, not like homework
- Some take-that is okay (she loves the red cards in Machi Koro, the spiders in Spinderella, etc...)
I'm looking forward to your recommendations!
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
Good theme, easy to play and can play up to 6.
I have a houseful of children. Some of their favorites are
1. Automobiles- this is a fun little game that is great with 3-4. I haven't tried it with five yet.
2. Carcassonne-or any of the smaller variants like Hunters & Gatherers or South Seas.
3. Dog- this is a light game that is really fun when played in teams.
4. If she likes Machi Koro try Dice City.
5. Crokinole- this one can be cost prohibitive. A good board + Mespi dust is essential for fun play. I built my own and it was well worth the effort. I am an amateur woodworker but used some internet instructions. PM me if you decide to pursue this project.
6. Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise- in my opinion this is the best game in the Tales series. Easy to play and the "no way" moments at the end are priceless.
7. 6 nimmt!- 11 nimmt is also another option here. A pretty light game but the kids like "getting Dad"
8. Flick 'em Up! or Ice Cool are great dexterity games.
9. Forbidden Island-this is the lightest of the coop games but I still enjoy playing it. I like watching the kids discuss the various options before we come to a consensus. If she likes Machi Koro try Dice City.
10. Wildlife Adventure- there are newer versions but this is the one we have.
I was going to keep it at 10 but thought of just one more
11. Coloretto- the card game version of Zooloretto. The board game is slightly complicated. We started with Coloretto and moved to Zooloretto after the kids enjoyed the card game so much.
- Last edited Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:42 pm
I play with an 8 year old girl. Games she likes that we play with her and can play up to 5 are:
Dr. Eureka (great game, lots of fun, she's slow at it though)
Love Letter Premium
The Magic Labyrinth (4 player max)
Kingdomino (4 player max)
Games that weren't a hit with my 8 year old but may be different for you are:
Ticket to Ride
King of Tokyo