Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, Zach here. This was supposed to go out Friday night, but BGG decided to be stupid and not post it for some reason. So I am going to keep this brief. We are reviewing Unfair tonight. Any comments and concerns you have can come here, especially if you don't want Jeff took read it out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Unfair!
I've only played it once so far, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but the game took too long to set up, play and break down.

The set-up reminded me of Legendary or Millennium Blades (and many other card heavy games) in that you have to sort out and shuffle many piles of cards. Then the game took over 90 minutes to play with only two players, and then re-sorting the cards into their respective decks took a few more minutes.

The game was fun, and I love the theme, and the "take-that" aspects didn't bother me, but I don't think I liked it enough to make it the center piece of a game night, and anything that is going to eat up two hours is going to be that for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing off of the title of the reviewed game, have you ever felt that a game mechanic or power was so...unfair that it ended up breaking the game? The Emergency Room in Quarantine can easily be abused if you know what you're doing (very good at mitigating the luck of drawing 'bad' patients that you could instead push into the emergency room to keep your patient queue neat and tidy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed review of Unfair guys. Very entertaining

Unfair is certainly more thrill ride than leisure ride, and as you identified, events can and should be used to mess with leaders. But each blockable attack effect is opportunity costed against its top unstoppably beneficial half, so it really only pays to attack someone ahead of you if it will put you further ahead of them than the positive effects would. When you consider that all other players will continue to move ahead of the attacker and victim with their positive event plays then you start to see more circumspect event play that tends more to going for big combos over attacks. Of course there are still key times to try to pull back the leader. See more detail about Unfair's event play here.

Re setup and packdown time... when all players help it should literally take 3 or 4 minutes to setup. There are only 6 core types of cards and 4 core decks to shuffle them into. You can see co-operative setup in this video. They did it in 3 minutes 30 seconds. Pack down should take 5 minutes max with all players helping to sort cards.

Re game length we have a suggested first game setup that removes some complexity and reduces rounds from 8 to 6. This should give you a 90 minute first game at 4 players or 40 minutes at 2. But yes game play time significantly reduces with familiarity with the game. The full 8 turn demo game above took 4 players just 80 minutes including setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At GAMA they announced a second edition of Evolution with a lower pricepoint (40 now) and changing out the feed bags with shields. But agreed, they should make the actual expansions more readily available instead of the expandalones (As in, make Climate Add-on more available than Evolution: Climate the expandalones).

Also, Germany is more based off of the German exclusive Deutschland than Marklin. It's coming with the 1902 expansion built in. The passengers in 1902 and Germany adds another set to collect instead of moving them around on the map. To collect the passengers, you get them from the cities you connect that turn. It makes some cities more competetive than others. At the end of the game, you score who has the most of in each color, kinda like scoring who has the most shares of a company at the end of the Pennsylvania map.

Kinda leaning more Agricola than Caverna, but more because of availability (and the family edition seems like a good family weight game for my family/grandma). But yeah, Agricola's expansions are out of print like the old art style expansions for Carcassonne. Unlike the OAS Carc expansions, it doesn't seem that the old 'Gric expansions are compatable with the new edition thanks to the player count changes (Old Gric: 1-5, New Gric: 1-4, 1-6 with a Catan style extension). Well, outside of the cards (which was said by Uwe that they would work with the new game), but it's going to be 45 bucks if you can find an Agricola expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
But agreed, they should make the actual expansions more readily available instead of the expandalones (As in, make Climate Add-on more available than Evolution: Climate the expandalones).

This is a great name and will definitely be using it from now on.
Thanks for the clarification on TtR:Germany, I only really have experience with the base(and deluxe) game, and hearsay from reviewers like The Dice Tower. It is good to get a better picture of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyantsunami wrote:
lomdr wrote:
But agreed, they should make the actual expansions more readily available instead of the expandalones (As in, make Climate Add-on more available than Evolution: Climate the expandalones).

This is a great name and will definitely be using it from now on.
Thanks for the clarification on TtR:Germany, I only really have experience with the base(and deluxe) game, and hearsay from reviewers like The Dice Tower. It is good to get a better picture of it.

Never touched Germany myself, but I played the 'intro' Marklin game (Standard T2R without using the passengers, you can choose to draw tickets from the long or short deck in any combination still. Also, it was the ONLY T2R set that had plastic discs instead of cylinders for scoring, but Marklin was meant to be a limited edition T2R game (like Catan and Carcassonne's anniversary editions, Machi Koro: Deluxe, and Pandemic Iberia)). They do have the rules already posted on the website as well as you can play Germany on the T2R App as an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.