Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
This is the official FAQ for Zephyr: Winds of Change. If you have any question please check this list first and any further questions we will be happy to answer as soon as possible. We will continue to add common questions as they arise.

Errata:
Missions:
Plane and Simple
The difficulty should be listed as Easy

Enemy Ships
Ju Tanna
This ship does not have a hull that is active in Tier 1. All ships must have a minimum of 1 structure hull.

To'res Shae
1. should have an attack icon.
2. Should have a maneuver icon.

Commander
Tobias
1. should have the attack icon.

Scavenge Exploration Cards
Is That a Bird
The third option where you may play a tech is missing a line. Add "roll once for scrap." if you play 1 tech.

Risks of Leadership
A typo causes some overlap in the dice rolls. The second dice roll should read 4-6.

Regions
The Morley Effect
This card is missing the patrol icon. You can still patrol as normal in this area.

FAQ:
General:
What mission should I start with?
Plane and Simple is the easiest mission. This card does have a typo stating that it is hard but is in fact easy.

Why are my clear cards coming apart?
Each clear card has a clear plastic protective film on it that should be peeled off before playing.

Can I uninstall a system and still keep it?
Yes, you may uninstall a system and place it in your cargo.

If we are on tier 3 and a card says +1 tier what happens?
The highest tier is 3 so these do not modify the tier if you are already in tier 3.

If you get a system for a reward but you've exhausted that deck, what do you do?
If you gain the reward of a system but there are no more of that system type available you must instead take the scrap equivalent. Bronze 10 scrap, silver 20 scrap, gold 30 scrap. If this happens on an epic system you instead take 40 scrap.

If I roll a 1-2 on a critical damage roll and lose my last hull what happens?
If you take critical damage you take one critical damage roll and return to the resupply. If you lost your last hull upgrade you automatically receive 1 free structure hull upgrade for free from the supply. Critical damage rolls never cause additional critical damage rolls.

Battle/Reaction:
Detailed order of a battle.
Phases A and B are repeated until no ships remain on either the enemy side or the player side of the battle. Once this has happened you may proceed to Phase C.

A. Attack
1. Declare targets
2. Draw Cards/Player Actions
3. Resolve Enemy Actions
i. Roll for and use enemy abilities
ii. Apply damage to affected enemy and player ships
iii. Destroy ships
a. Destroy player ships
b. Destroy enemy ships
B. Regroup
1. Other players in the same area may join your battle
2. Discard any number of cards from your hand
C. Salvage

Can I salvage and join another battle on the same phase?
If you want to join another battle on the same regroup phase where you completed your battle you must sacrifice the salvage of your battle to do so. Otherwise, you enter the salvage phase and cannot join others until the next regroup phase.

Can I do anything during the regroup phase?
You may activate any ship abilities or crew abilities that have an immediate effect.

Can I still use my crew station if my crew is on cooldown?
As long as a crew occupies that station you get one extra play of the type indicated by the icon above that station.

If a crew station does not have an icon what happens?
These stations do not give any extra action deck play.

Can I have my crew members change stations?
You move a crew member to a different station. This can be done at any time except during a reaction phase or attack phase.

When do I shuffle my cards?
You must shuffle all you cards including your discard pile whenever you install a new system or run out of cards in your draw deck.

Can I use the card's ability during a reaction phase?
You may use your card abilities during this phase, however, unless the exploration card states otherwise attacks and evades have no effect and enemy ships cannot be targeted.

Can I keep card in my hand?
No, all cards in play and in your hand are discarded at the end of a battle and the end of a reaction phase.

If I escape a battle do I win?
No. At least not if you are alone. One player ship must survive the battle when all enemy ships are destroyed to claim salvage. Victory is only achieved through this.

Do I have to win a battle at the end of the assignment to finish the assignment?
Assignments have specific requirements so unless it is listed among those or it is a special event such as a commander on the final space of the assignment (marked with a star) you do not need to win a battle. However, you must have 1 ship on the assignment who is still alive in order to claim the assignments rewards.

Can get behind me boost Deflection?
Deflection cannot use Get Behind Me. Deflection uses undamaged armor upgrades. Get Behind Me is an action deck card that acts as an armor it is not a ship upgrade.

Warlord:
If an ability has an effect how often does that happen.
Warlord ability cards with an effect (text above the roll happen once when the card is revealed. These effects do not repeat. The warlord's attacks each phase only come from the rolls on each card.

Elimenation:
What is Standard Elimination?
In standard elimination, during the mission, if you take critical damage you take your roll and apply its results abandoning any battle, event and assignment you are on. If in a final battle you cannot rejoin and are essentially out of the game.

What is Permanent Elimination?
If you take critical damage you are removed from the game and may not rejoin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Elliott
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
The Tobias commander card shows a manuever icon for its 1 roll, but the detail says '1 damage'.

The enemy ship To'res Shae has the same error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Arnold
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stock commander card lists damage effects for 1,2,4,6. What do you do when rolling 3 & 5? (I just figured 2&3 and 4&5 were the same result, but would love an official ruling.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
If there is no number for a roll then it is treated the same as an N/A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Robinson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The special ability of the Greaser Tub (to immediately repair 1 damage) can potentially prevent your ship from being destroyed during a battle because you can time the repair so that it happens immediately after the damage is sustained. So if you would take the final two hull damage in a round of combat you can trigger the ability and say one hull gets immediately repaired, so your ship survives with 1 hull left.

My question is: does the Rapid Repair action card work the same way? If I play it from my hand in the Player Action phase (on an undamaged ship) and then receive just enough net damage during the Resolve Enemy Actions step to destroy my vessel, can I say that the Rapid Repair card I already played repairs one of the damage done as it was done and so my ship limps on with 1 hull? Or is the timing wrong because I had to play the card first, before I had actually sustained any damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bufordbugman wrote:
If I play it from my hand in the Player Action phase (on an undamaged ship) and then receive just enough net damage during the Resolve Enemy Actions step to destroy my vessel, can I say that the Rapid Repair card I already played repairs one of the damage done as it was done and so my ship limps on with 1 hull? Or is the timing wrong because I had to play the card first, before I had actually sustained any damage?

Covered in another post here.

The card can only repair damage taken previously (the effect cannot be delayed until the Resolve Enemy Actions step).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Robinson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! Didn't see that other thread.

And, yeah, as Jon notes there the "immediate" wording seems superfluous on the card given how its timing works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible Errata:
1. Fazzini's ability #6 should have the "attack/evade" symbols instead of just the attack symbol. See Grimshaw's ability #6 for an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlord clarification re how many times they bring in reinforcements is needed, please.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the "plane and simple" mission, if you complete the requisite number of assignments before while on tier 2, can you immediately take on the commander at the end, or do you have to keep patrolling or taking assignments until that comes up on the day tracker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Eraelan wrote:
On the "plane and simple" mission, if you complete the requisite number of assignments before while on tier 2, can you immediately take on the commander at the end, or do you have to keep patrolling or taking assignments until that comes up on the day tracker?

You are supposed to play through each day of a mission. It follows the narrative of surviving as you move deeper into enemy territory where enemies are more dangerous.

Of course, it is always an option as a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eraelan wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd *want* to skip. If you have time left, that's more time to gear up for the tier 3 commander fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if two players have the Magnetic Grapple and they target the same ship? Do they both get 5 scrap?
What if it's a Commander - do you get 5 Scrap plus the Reward roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get a system for a reward but you've exhausted that deck, what do you do? (Trust me, it can happen!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
Eraelan wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd *want* to skip. If you have time left, that's more time to gear up for the tier 3 commander fight.

I know what he's talking about as I also wondered if you have to go to the last day of the mission track if you complete the mission objectives early... nothing in the rules say you do. I talked about this in another thread that I posted about an hour ago, then only afterward discovered this conversation.

Matthew was wondering if you can take on the Commander early, again after completing he requisite number of missions. The event text written on the "Plane & Simple" mission card very clearly implies that you can. So yeah, I get where he's coming from!

It's only after reading this conversation and then going back to the rule about "Mission Events" on page 4, is that rule only now making sense. I certainly didn't get it (that a "Mission Event" is the same as mission goals) from my first reading of that paragraph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
What if two players have the Magnetic Grapple and they target the same ship? Do they both get 5 scrap?
What if it's a Commander - do you get 5 Scrap plus the Reward roll?

Both get the 5 scrap.

A commander will give 5 scrap in addition to the reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
If you get a system for a reward but you've exhausted that deck, what do you do? (Trust me, it can happen!)

If this happens you get the scrap equivalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notacomputer wrote:
Tusken Raider wrote:

But what if you exhaust the Epic deck, as we did? That has no cost value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do Merchant abilities stack? If a player, or team, has two Merchants, can they add 2 to a die roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
notacomputer wrote:
Tusken Raider wrote:

I added this to the faq above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
Do Merchant abilities stack? If a player, or team, has two Merchants, can they add 2 to a die roll?

Merchants do stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notacomputer wrote:
Tusken Raider wrote:
notacomputer wrote:
Tusken Raider wrote:

I added this to the faq above

I see - 40 Scrap. Shame, I was kind of hoping for one million for Epic.
Not having known this, we just went a level down to Gold. 40 is better, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron James
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
The "Repercussions" card has very positive-sounding flavor text, but all of the dice roll outcomes are bad. Is something missing, like a scrap reward to fulfill that last line about "leaving a large hoard of salvage still intact."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Silentlyron wrote:
The "Repercussions" card has very positive-sounding flavor text, but all of the dice roll outcomes are bad. Is something missing, like a scrap reward to fulfill that last line about "leaving a large hoard of salvage still intact."?

Thanks for pointing this one out. I will look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a quick clarification on multiple ship battles. The rulebook says "all enemy ships must attack one player ship, but may otherwise be distributed in any manner." I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this: do all ships have to target one player ship, and the other players are support, or can you break up enemy ships between the players? I've been flip-flopping both ways, with the former making battles extremely difficult, and the latter making them more manageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.