United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea for helping to bring some balance to the "Game of Fleets":
Place a "Storm" token on a sea zone that is either predetermined or randomly chosen. At the beginning of each turn this token rotates to an adjacent sea zone.
Whenever certain cards are drawn, a storm arised in the sea zone containing the "Storm" token. Any fleet in this province is reduced by half, rounded up (ie lose 2 of 3 ships).
The cards associated with the storm are: Storm of Swords, Rains of Autumn, Sea of Storms, and Feast for Crows (4 cards from Westeros Deck III). As such, there is a forty percent chance in one of 11 sea zones that a storm may destroy half your fleet (whatever the total odds are, I'm not sure but it increases along with naval dominance as it should).
This should make fleet buildups a little more risky and recreate some of the naval difficulties found in the books.
Not a necessary fix, just one to think about and tinker with. Let me know your thoughs/objections/improvements, especially if you try it.
Thanks,
Daryl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
Re:Fleet equalizer
I think there are some problems. First it doesn't really fix the sea power problem, as it is more like a random event. Ships will still be as powerful, if they aren't affected in that one area.

Also, if there is only one storm and it is moved to adjacent sea zones, it could possibly stick to one side of the board, meaning one player could be very affected, whereas others not at all, creating an inbalance.

There has been many suggestions to diminish the fleet power. I still feel that reducing ships effectivness of support against land would be the best way. Some suggested that ships should only be able to add 1 point of support to land, which I though sounded like a good house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Spierenburg
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Pantera (#27384),

Umm, ships already add only one point of support to land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
spierepf (#66983),
Ships add one point per ship. What has been suggested is to limit ship support to one total, no matter how many ships are supporting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.