GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,111 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Jeremy Hansuvadha
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a high school teacher and I wanted to give my students a game design project. However, before they design their own game, they need to learn more about game design.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some game design resources? I have been listening to the Ludology podcast, which is very helpful (the Red Raven Games podcast has a Game Design Tip of the Week which is also helpful, though brief). I'm hoping someone can share links to articles explaining different aspects of game design, especially an explanation of different game mechanics. I'm trying to put together a Game Design 101 type of thing.

Thank you to the community in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest looking at some of the pinned threads in this forum as there is a lot of helpful information to be found there, though I'm sure others (who have actually designed games) will have some good tips for you.

You can also browse all of the 51 different listed mechanics here on BGG. Here's the list. Click each mechanic for a definition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you're missing the step of playing existing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
They were written for a 5th grade project, but Mark Rosewater's articles about things every game needs seem pretty applicable to your situation.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/te...

If I were you, I would not focus so much on game mechanics. Thinking about design goals and how to achieve them in a game is a more valuable lesson, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you reach out to
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
. She's got plenty of experience with high school game design. And while you're at it, don't miss her geeklists on the subject!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of tooting my own horn, I posted a Game Design 101 video about what I wish I knew when I first started designing games:

The textbook Rules of Play does a very good job looking at game design from a variety of different lenses. Also check out the book Characteristics of Games, which has quite a few nuggets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Edison
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
publisher
We have an archive of board game design articles, videos, podcasts, etc. from all around the web. It's also searchable, if you know what topics you want information on: cardboardedison.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.