Popular Tags: [View All]
Denny Lau
United States
Shelby Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Available for preorder on Miniature Market for a whopping $8.00 less than the Kickstarter price. Take that Kickstarter backers!

I like the 1st edition way better. Except for the coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but do you get the awesome dust sleeve that always gets in the way? cool
Oh well, I supported the cause and got the game a month ago and have been enjoying it quite a bit since then. If anyone's on the fence I highly recommend this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xmanden wrote:
Available for preorder on Miniature Market for a whopping $8.00 less than the Kickstarter price. Take that Kickstarter backers!

"NOTE: This version does not come with the Kickstarter exclusive box sleeve."

It's not the same thing that backers got (I did not back this game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed. The "exclusive" is literally just a sleeve that goes over the box. If you keep it on you have to remove it every time you play the game. It's kinda neat, but sometimes more of a nuisance than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xmanden wrote:

I think that's the general consensus - this version's artistic design is inferior in every way except for the coins but it plays the same, so if you want to play it and don't want to pay ebay prices, this is your ticket.

I've had trouble getting the game to the table with players who have seen the original DoW version. They see those cartoonish meeples and the weird, garden-like board you inexplicably build coliseums on and they bail.

Probably goes over alright with players who never played the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denny Lau
United States
Shelby Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In comparison with the new version.

As I noted above,I like the metal coins better in the new edition.
I like the cover art on the first edition better.
The insert for the components is just awesome in the first edition.
There is no contest for the pawns. I love the first edition much better.
The chart of all the shows is better in the first edition, although it lacks the two new shows.
The layout of the first edition game board is better.
The colors of the new edition game board are clearly more vibrant. This actually allows the tiles, pawns and arenas to stand out better on the first edition board.
The first edition show tiles are much clearer with what is required to complete them. I like the size of the icons, especially the one which shows the required size colosseum you need.
Star Performer Tokens- first edition, I like the dark +4 better, and the background color matches the asset tokens.
Event Asset Tokens- first edition, bigger size and color.
Event Asset Bag- first edition, the plastic drawstring holder is awesome.
Emperor Medal, Season Ticket, and Emperor's Lodge Tiles- first edition, larger and easier to read.
Arena Tiles- first edition, the tiles are printed on both sides with the cost of the expansion right there.
Scoring Markers- new edition, I like the columns much better.
First Player Tile- first edition, larger and better looking.
Dice- new edition, I'm not a fan of wooden dice, the new ones are easier to see.

The bottom line is this. This version is not what I would call the Emperor's Edition. But it's the only edition available at a reasonable cost. It's a fantastic game to play and you should give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.