GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems based on the how to play rule book that the only two other rules for a full game are the advanced setup and action cards. This led me to believe this had all the rules.

But when looking at the rules reference book it has additional things I don't remember in the how to play book (ex: discard all tactics cards at end of combat or rebel transports during retreat). I'm really confused. It seems like there is actually two steps recommended before a full game....? And that it's not truly a "reference" book since reference books aren't meant to be read in their entirety. But if you don't do this then it seems you'll miss certain rules.

Is FFG to be trusted with their suggestions here? I remember trying xwing with the basic rules and this screwed up how we thought to play a full game and my wife kept needing to be reminded of crucial things like range bonuses and actions. We wished we would have just went with the full game from the start.

I guess I'm wondering three things.

1: is there in practicality 2 steps before a full game if you follow the rulebooks?

2: would you recommend using action cards first game? I would like it to be somewhat close to an actual full game but maybe Doing everything in the reference book is too much?

3: why did FFG do the rules split up but confusingly seem to indicate the how to play contained everything in the reference book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
The first book gets you set up to play. The second one explains things in depth as you get to them.

Action cards and advanced set up are not complicated at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce McKay
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
There are some points on which I agree with you, and some points I don't. Personally, I think that the "learn to play" guide does sugar-coat and over-simplify to some extent. On the other hand, I never really got the impression that the learn to play handbook was the end-all, be-all of the rules. It seemed clear that Learn to Play was the basics of the game and when question arose - for example, at the end of a combat, what do I do with all these tactics cards? Well, let me pull out that rules reference and see what it has to say on the subject.

The Learn to Play game is to give you the broadest possible strokes of the mechanics of the game. As far as your questions -

1.) I don't fully understand this question. The Setup should be followed in the "Advanced Game" section - whatever steps are listed there should be followed.

2.) Personally, I don't think it matters overly much. The Action Cards just add another piece of complexity and the fact that you don't know what your opponent's action cards do (unless you've both reviewed them all in advance, which isn't my favorite idea) seems to needlessly complicate the issue. But obviously, you do you.

3.) This is pretty standard fare for FFG rulebooks. In my opinion, you need to go into it understanding that the learn to play game brushes over some things that get fleshed out as you go. If you want to fully read the rules reference first, it's not a bad choice, but I don't think it's fully necessary if both (or all) players realize that it's a learning experience the first time through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think anyone who has sufficient interest in board games to be posting here should go straight to the advanced set up and rules! The action cards add a lot to the game and we played with them first up. We used the suggested setup in the learn to play rule book for our first game and then the advanced setup for variety.
The rules reference contains a few rules that come up for specific situations with more clarity the learn to play but they dont contradict it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools

I advice to follow the 'basic game' for your first game.

In essence only two things change:
1) You don't have to decide where to deoply the start units. This is good because you are clueless about the whole combat anyway so you'll probably do it wrong.

2)You don't use action cards. Which is good because most action cards break rules. Learning the rules while breaking them is not very good.

You do want to read the rules reference. It's not ' extra ' rules for advanced play, it's just the second part of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebard8 wrote:
It seems based on the how to play rule book that the only two other rules for a full game are the advanced setup and action cards. This led me to believe this had all the rules.

But when looking at the rules reference book it has additional things I don't remember in the how to play book (ex: discard all tactics cards at end of combat or rebel transports during retreat). I'm really confused. It seems like there is actually two steps recommended before a full game....? And that it's not truly a "reference" book since reference books aren't meant to be read in their entirety. But if you don't do this then it seems you'll miss certain rules.

Is FFG to be trusted with their suggestions here? I remember trying xwing with the basic rules and this screwed up how we thought to play a full game and my wife kept needing to be reminded of crucial things like range bonuses and actions. We wished we would have just went with the full game from the start.

I guess I'm wondering three things.

1: is there in practicality 2 steps before a full game if you follow the rulebooks?

2: would you recommend using action cards first game? I would like it to be somewhat close to an actual full game but maybe Doing everything in the reference book is too much?

3: why did FFG do the rules split up but confusingly seem to indicate the how to play contained everything in the reference book?

FFG split their books into a Learn to Play book (which gets you started very fast but which chooses to ignore more detailed rules) and a Rule Reference book (which gives all details but without examples or a story structure that is easy to follow).

For your first game or two, follow the Learn to Play book and play 4-5 turns until you get the hang of the turn phases, combat, missions etc. Focus especially on the terminology used by the game when it refers to things (Assignment Phase, Command Phase, Leaders, units, Missions, Recruiting, Deploying etc) and how it fits into the game.

After that, read the Rules Reference book start to finish. The setup rules are clearly documented as a step-by-step process but are not the same as in the Learn to Play book (there are more choices to make and more things to do).

All in all, I personally like this way of learning the more complex FFG games; their older Rulebooks were convoluted things with both ALL the detail as well as a large number of examples and were very difficult to learn the game from.

In the end, the best way to learn this game is by having someone experienced explain it to you, but this goes for a lot of the complex games I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
I'm not a fan of their split rulebooks. Reading through the rules reference from front to back when it's organized alphabetically is frustrating. One improvement they could make is when they are obviously leaving out or glossing over rules in the Learn To Play, it could say "for full rules, see XXX in the Rules Reference". This would at least indicate when something is missing or simplified and give you a stepping stone to the full rules.

Sorry, I don't have any specific examples of this, as it's been a while since I've read the Rebellion ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Watson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
One improvement they could make is when they are obviously leaving out or glossing over rules in the Learn To Play, it could say "for full rules, see XXX in the Rules Reference". This would at least indicate when something is missing or simplified and give you a stepping stone to the full rules.

Awesome idea. This seems so simple to implement but potentially so useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.