Power Grid» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A 4 player session unlike our others rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
flag msg tools
My game group at work got together to play Power Grid, as we occassionally do. However, the pace of this session was like no other we'd played. We were playing the US map with the southeast and northwest excluded. Everyone else started their network in the north and north central leaving me to start a choke point in Oklahoma City. Over the next few turns the rest of the players built into their easily reached cities while I cemented my barrier to the southwest, stopping at six cities (Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, Dallas, Houston and Oklahoma City). For a couple of turns we stayed way, no one else wanting to pay the high cost to connect through to Santa Fe and open up the cheap second city options for everyone else. The exception was one player who was trapped in the Northwest and had to pay the connection costs to Santa Fe to expand. He broke through and built up to six, where we sat again for several turns just collecting money. When the same player finally decided to build into a couple more cities it was immediately followed by the 'Step 3' card turning up. The next turn was the last as one player, erroneously thinking he had it sown up, built into 11 more cities, triggering the end. The victory, however, went to the player who had been trapped in the northeast as he had the better power plants and was able to build and power 14 cities, besting the miscalculating player by one.

In the end it came down to what power plants you bought 6 turns previous when we only needed to supply 6 cities. In the last auction I had plants that powered 1, 2 and 5 cities, and with no 6 or 7 plants available in the auction I didn't have a chance.

Edit: typos
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.