GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Anybody Else Have Problems w/ FLGS marking up Prices? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is why I only shop online. All the FLGSs in my area are way overpriced. One I went to today had Lengendary Encounters (the Alien one) for $70. Compare that to $50 on Amazon. And 7 Wonders for $50 compared to $25. And I've seen similar markups at other stores in the area. I'd love to support local game stores, but not at double price. Anybody else have this issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, keep in mind that the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for 7 Wonders *is* $50, so it's not that the FLGS is marking it UP, it's that Amazon is marking it way DOWN.

Sure, it's just a matter of perspective. I guess nearly every FLGS will look super-expensive if you consider Amazon's prices to be the norm.

Edited to add: MSRP for Legendary Encounters Alien is $60, not the $70 from the FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am OK buying local at local stores at MSRP, but not above MSRP.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If price is your sole criterion for shopping, then you are not in the market segment of the B&M stores.

There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with people not buying online and patronizing a B&M store because they feel they receive value for their dollar.

The hobby is big enough to cater to people with different reasons for deciding where they spend their money. That is a good thing for the overall health of the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Briggs

LYNNWOOD
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmb
I had a B&M store in times past, the cost of space is high and to try and match prices with online stores is a steep curve. My overhead in running just an online is fractional in comparison.
At a B&M you have interaction which you don't have with computer ordering to the most part, in many cases you have space for game play and the chance to get with others to set up game nights which you may or may not have on line.
As was previously said, there is room for both, if price is your prime consideration, or some game availability, then online is as channel.
While I compete with these stores, I would encourage you to support them in some way. There is room for everyone in this market, primarily continue to play games and work toward bringing friends and family together around a game table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
No, I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tarrkid wrote:
Well, keep in mind that the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for 7 Wonders *is* $50, so it's not that the FLGS is marking it UP, it's that Amazon is marking it way DOWN.

Sure, it's just a matter of perspective. I guess nearly every FLGS will look super-expensive if you consider Amazon's prices to be the norm.

Edited to add: MSRP for Legendary Encounters Alien is $60, not the $70 from the FLGS.

Yeah I guess you're right. I just see all these posts on here of people finding good deals at their FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
If price is your sole criterion for shopping, then you are not in the market segment of the B&M stores.

you mean not in the market segment for a B&M store that is unable to handle the 21st century.... there are plenty of B&M's that do compete... most notably (but not exclusively)...

... B&M's that are also online game stores... funagain, coolstuff, minuaturemarket, cardhaus, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
briggs wrote:
I had a B&M store in times past, the cost of space is high and to try and match prices with online stores is a steep curve. My overhead in running just an online is fractional in comparison.
At a B&M you have interaction which you don't have with computer ordering to the most part, in many cases you have space for game play and the chance to get with others to set up game nights which you may or may not have on line.
As was previously said, there is room for both, if price is your prime consideration, or some game availability, then online is as channel.
While I compete with these stores, I would encourage you to support them in some way. There is room for everyone in this market, primarily continue to play games and work toward bringing friends and family together around a game table.

Yeah, if I spent any time at the FLGS I would be more inclined to shop there and pay a little extra, but it and the others are far away from where i live and none of my gaming groups play there, but I see their value. I do, however, shop there for RPG minis because they have some nice locally hand painted ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Mark
United States
Clever
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Margins are also different for the two products so the store may have a flat margin they prefer to make (or are used to making and didn't notice the MSRP) but Upper Deck game are noticeably more expensive than most other publishers causing the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't blame the Game Store. They are probably struggling to get by.

But, I also buy my games on Amazon typically. Now if I was more invested in my game store, like playing there every weekend, participating in their free events, whatever, I might be inclined to be buying games there.

I do regularly buy Fantasy Flight Sleeves there though, and have bought dice and other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted anderson
United States
southington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They likely upped the price of Legendary since Upper Deck's discount for retailers is awful and they have to compensate for their profit margin. I work at a shop where we had to do the same thing (I think we did by $5 though). Most companies offer a reasonable room for markup but UD does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have definitely felt this. I want to support FLGS's even if I don't frequent them very often, but I can't pay a huge premium. I don't mind overpaying some, but most of the prices at my FLGS are too high for me to pay. I wonder if they could increase volume if they'd reduce the prices some. Or maybe they can't acquire the games at the price Amazon does ?

The games in the $15 - $25 range usually aren't marked up excessively so that's what i buy from my FLGS.

And a cold pop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't really something that is unique to board games. Online stores (and Amazon in particular) have cheaper prices than b&m stores in pretty much every genre of consumer product. Heck, online prices are often cheaper than b&m prices even within the same company (e.g. Barnes and Noble, Best Buy). Very large retail b&m chains often have some flexibility to compete with online prices, but small mom-and-pop operations like most games stores just don't have the scale needed to pull that off. I have found a couple of good deals at game stores when stuff was on sale to clear stock, but 95% of products I've ever seen in game stores was priced at MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloGuy wrote:
tarrkid wrote:

Yeah I guess you're right. I just see all these posts on here of people finding good deals at their FLGS.

The only good deals I have gotten at my FLGS is stuff they clearanced out or using their members discount. It helped me save roughly $50 when I grabbed Fields of Arle. Granted I had to buy four games before the discount kicked in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Mark
United States
Clever
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
SoloGuy wrote:
tarrkid wrote:

The only good deals I have gotten at my FLGS is stuff they clearanced out or using their members discount. It helped me save roughly $50 when I grabbed Fields of Arle. Granted I had to buy four games before the discount kicked in.

Now maybe I'm the pot, or tried to be, but the good deals I get at my flgs's (including prior, during, and post... That one store) have been and remain: knowledge, honest feedback and direction, and friendships - both behind the counter and in front of. Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get out that much anymore, but when I did, if I saw something I wanted I bought it. Shipping charges or savings are offset by the gas I've already burned.

Do your research if you're penny pinching and quit whining.

And get offa my lawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
SoloGuy wrote:
This is why I only shop online. All the FLGSs in my area are way overpriced. One I went to today had Lengendary Encounters (the Alien one) for $70. Compare that to $50 on Amazon. And 7 Wonders for $50 compared to $25. And I've seen similar markups at other stores in the area. I'd love to support local game stores, but not at double price. Anybody else have this issue?

You sure those prices on Amazon are legit? Amazon's price is $33. It is quite possible some of those offers below that are counterfeit considering the wholesale price and the status of the sellers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the price is too high, don't buy. That seems like the store's problem, not yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Newton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Do you play at your LGS?

$25 is literally the game store's cost for 7 Wonders. If they sold it for $25 to match wherever you saw it online they wouldn't stay in business.

If you play there and find value in having the store there then just think of the extra cost as helping to keep the place open, rental fee, etc. If you play there every week and buy 1 game a month it's really not all that much considering you probably spend 12+ hours there a week. Hard to find entertainment that cheap these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moremonkeys138 wrote:
They likely upped the price of Legendary since Upper Deck's discount for retailers is awful and they have to compensate for their profit margin. I work at a shop where we had to do the same thing (I think we did by $5 though). Most companies offer a reasonable room for markup but UD does not.

That's exactly it. I make the concious decision to go MSRP, even when the margin is worse. I don't much like it, but don't want to give anyone pause to start thinking I charge over MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CapeFearGames wrote:
Do you play at your LGS?

$25 is literally the game store's cost for 7 Wonders. If they sold it for $25 to match wherever you saw it online they wouldn't stay in business.

If you play there and find value in having the store there then just think of the extra cost as helping to keep the place open, rental fee, etc. If you play there every week and buy 1 game a month it's really not all that much considering you probably spend 12+ hours there a week. Hard to find entertainment that cheap these days.

I don't play there, no, I would be fine paying a little extra if I spent any time there, but I don't. I do buy dice and things there though. And when I played magic I went there more for FNM, but those days are gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
I buy from everywhere but mainly OLGS. Once in a while a FLGS had a better deal though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will usually buy a couple of games at the game store where our game group meets every week since the graciously offer us a free, very nice space to get together and game. aince they aren't charging us to play there, I buy games to support their business. However; I still buy games from online stores as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brogan
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS (Atomic Empire in Durham, NC) is usually good at being under or just a little over online prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.