GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,553 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is range 1 the same as adjacent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hohlier
United States
flag msg tools
What... is your favourite colour? Blue. No, yel...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my cards in front of me but I'm pretty sure I saw one that had range 1. Is that the same as being adjacent?

I know line of sight is traced from Hex corner to hex corner, but the range is counted from middle of the hex to middle of the hex correct? wouldn't that make range 1 the same as being adjacent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, range 1 is the same as saying adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Django
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Correct. Though I believe the only time "range 1" would exist is if you had a range 2 and the pull card was a negative 1 range effect. I don't believe the actual "range 1" is printed on any cards. At least not that we have seen so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tsang
United Kingdom
Claverton, Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I think the only subtlety is that many powers that are not affected by line of sight/targeting are listed as applying to "adjacent" enemies/allies. If they were listed as "range 1" instead, they would be subject to line of sight rules, particularly for invisibility which breaks LOS/targetability which is required for anything with the "range" keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, range 1 means they have to be adjacent, but they do not mean the same thing, as if you are performing an attack against an "adjacent" target, it is a melee attack and you would perform it normally. If you are performing an attack against an enemy at "range 1," this is considered a ranged attack and you would have disadvantage.

I suspect you might be talking about one of the starting characters' range 1 heals, which are performed on adjacent allies with no penalty (since you don't draw modifiers for heals). The only difference here would be if there is an enhancement dot next to the "range 1" line, you could pay to add a +1 to increase the range.

tl;dr - Yes, most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
da5idt wrote:
Yes. I think the only subtlety is that many powers that are not affected by line of sight/targeting are listed as applying to "adjacent" enemies/allies. If they were listed as "range 1" instead, they would be subject to line of sight rules, particularly for invisibility which breaks LOS/targetability which is required for anything with the "range" keyword.

I still have not seen a good argument that line of sight is affected by invisibility. According to the rulebook I don't think it is (line of sight rules don't talk about invisibility at all). Also, it would mean that a ranged retaliate doesn't work against invisible characters since it needs line of sight. But I understand that retaliate is supposed to work against invisible characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Vandermeulen
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, don't "Range 1" abilities include the character themselves as a potential target, but "Adjacent" abilities don't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Chicago
msg tools
Rik V wrote:
Also, don't "Range 1" abilities include the character themselves as a potential target, but "Adjacent" abilities don't?

Yes, that's an important difference for heals.

Also, range can be boosted by f.e. other players' abilities, so a range 1 can be boosted, while "adjacent" can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hohlier
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Yes, range 1 means they have to be adjacent, but they do not mean the same thing, as if you are performing an attack against an "adjacent" target, it is a melee attack and you would perform it normally. If you are performing an attack against an enemy at "range 1," this is considered a ranged attack and you would have disadvantage.

I suspect you might be talking about one of the starting characters' range 1 heals, which are performed on adjacent allies with no penalty (since you don't draw modifiers for heals). The only difference here would be if there is an enhancement dot next to the "range 1" line, you could pay to add a +1 to increase the range.

tl;dr - Yes, most of the time.

You are absolutely correct sir! It was the heal 1 card that I was thinking about. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Is what Rik V asks correct? Could you actually heal yourself with a heal rage 1 card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hohlier
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the quick reply's!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baseman422 wrote:

Is what Rik V asks correct? Could you actually heal yourself with a heal rage 1 card?

Yes, you can heal yourself with Range: 1, unless it has a condition of allies, because you are not an ally of yourself. There are cards like this:

Range: 1 (Affects all allies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hohlier
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
baseman422 wrote:

Yes, you can heal yourself with Range: 1, unless it has a condition of allies, because you are not an ally of yourself. There are cards like this:

Range: 1 (Affects all allies).

That is good news. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baseman422 wrote:
I don't have my cards in front of me but I'm pretty sure I saw one that had range 1. Is that the same as being adjacent?

I know line of sight is traced from Hex corner to hex corner, but the range is counted from middle of the hex to middle of the hex correct? wouldn't that make range 1 the same as being adjacent?

I don't think range is counted from center to center. I think range is counted along the shortest line you can draw between the 2 hexes. It probably makes little difference most of the time. But, for example, 2 adjacent hexes with a wall between them are not range 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.