GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A fairly odd request. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Page
msg tools
Myself and my SO are in an LDR at the moment, and both enjoy playing games together. I'd love to play some boardgames with him too so I've come here looking for some suggestions of what to play, I'm looking for a game that

1) Works well being played over skype/hangouts.
2) Not too many components. I want to be able to set it aside if we decide to 'pause' a gaming session.
3) Easy to understand rules wise, I'd like to be able to jump into the game so to speak rather than continually feeling like I have to check the rules.
4) Fantasy themed if possible, but we are not necessarily bound by this.
5) Is a co-op as I feel this would be best for skype.

I do have some android app based board games/Board game arena games to suggest to him, but I know some games have yet to make it to this format and I don't want to miss a good game just because of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and the Cthulhu themed very similar Mythos Tales would work well over Skype. There aren't a ton of components that need to be looked at (you might even be able to find a digital version of the directory / map so you both can look at it), and it's mostly discussion and deduction with your partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mentioned playing over Skype, you might want to check out the Vassal interface at http://www.vassalengine.org/.

I mainly use it for wargames, but there are hundreds of modules, and maybe some the two of you might like. The nice thing about Vassal is you can save a game at any given point, and come back to it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you both have a computer? If so I would suggest checking out tabletop simulator. Its just a physics world that the developer focused on board gaming and through the steam workshop you are able to get any game a user has ported in. I found it an easy one to talk over as since its emulating a world rather than the game, it usually takes some time to play. Its been a while since I've used it though and I can't remember if it have a save or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe think about playing an MMO together? It's fun to run around going missions and helping each other out. That and you'll be able to voice chat while you're playing. Some really fantastic games out there right now, some even free to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
For the past seven years I have lived much of each year apart from my spouse, and we play games over Skype every Saturday night. Since we don't like playing digital versions of games, and we don't want to buy duplicate copies of games, we make the rule that we only use one single physical copy to play over Skype. Here is what has worked well for us:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - Works wonderfully, and allows us to build decks between plays. Each of us has all the cards for two spheres of influence (we split the neutral cards). One person has to run the encounter deck for each adventure, but otherwise it's usually not a problem (we switch off who gets to run the adventure).

Android: Netrunner - LCGs work great for Skype, but they are a huge time and money sink! This one is more difficult to pull off, because the runner needs to be able to look at the corp's cards without the corp seeing them. We still make it work, though, and have grown to like the game (I did not like this game at first).

Cities aka Limes - Probably our favorite game to play over Skype. It's basically a Carcassonne-style tile placement game, but each player has an identical stack of tiles, which makes it easy to play. You can still find it for very cheap, I believe.

Blue Moon aka Blue Moon Legends - Excellent, more balanced, non-collectable "duel" card game that isn't nearly as mean as the others, since you clear the battlefield each round. We like this a lot, and it has lots of replayability with the different factions.

oddball Äeronauts - Also a light "fighting" card game that works well online because you don't need a table. You can even point the cameras at each others' faces rather than having to look down at the cards!

Also, any of the "roll-and-write" dice games work well over Skype. Just split up the scoring pads/boards between you, and it's nice if you can find additional sets of dice for each player to alternate rolling:

Qwinto
Rolling Japan
Rolling America
Noch mal!
Saint Malo
Qwixx

These games also can be played over Skype, but they ended up not being our favorite games:

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game or A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) - Another LCG. We played 1ed a million times, and it works great over Skype since you each have your own deck, but it is a vicious, cutthroat game that still angers us to no end. Maybe not the best couples game for that reason, and we've stopped playing because of how mean it is. Still a good game if you like that sort of thing.

Field of Glory: The Card Game - Kind of like Battle Line but without a communal draw deck: each player drafts their own deck in real time before starting the game (one player will have to make substitutes for the terrain cards, though). It's a good game, but a little... generic, especially if the ancient war theme doesn't interest you.

Pixel Tactics - Again, identical decks make this work over Skype. It's pretty confrontational and sometimes really unbalanced but each match is short and fun if you're OK with extremely swingy games.

Karuba - A very light family game, in the same vein as Cities/Limes, in that one player draws randomly and the other player pulls out the same tile. Unfortunately, this one is a little too light for us, so we're getting rid of it. A lot of people really like this, though, and it works great over Skype, so I'd recommend giving it a try.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to Tabletop Simulator, yes to Vassal. These are going to be your best experiences by far.

As for Skype:

Numerous LCG's have been suggested. CCG's work well also for this purpose. All great ideas if that is your jam. I prefer a different flavor so will suggest based on that.

+1 Karuba Fantastic game that really appeals itself to online play.

Kahuna would work fairly well, as each player would simply imitate what the other does on the board to reflect their choices. Santorini would offer a similar option.

I would also suggest an RPG. Skype is a great medium for RPGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Page
msg tools
I am loving all the suggestions thus far, certainly, has given us a lot to think about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.