GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,705 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

High Frontier (Third Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Werner's Star Solitaire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andro Hsu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Has anyone won the Werner's Star scenario in the specified time limit? I'm still getting the hang of all the requirements to attain a Future, but I'm not seeing a path to do it.

Possibly industrializing a synodic comet so that there is a nearby lab? That seems to be the only way to promote all the cards you need in the allotted time.

Don't get me wrong, I am loving the 3rd edition. Just not sure how Werner's Star can be completed in 36 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
No, to be honest. But the pacing isn't all that fun for me.

I believe you need to get your Bernal to a dirtside right quickly and get as many colonists into space as possible. Hazardous Wages lets you buy a lot of cards for "cheap" and you can get a lot of actions in. Maybe getting a Venus lab is the way to do it. Probably getting the best promoted colonist is important, too.

Makes me want to give it a shot, again, though. Every time I've tried it, it makes CEO Solitaire feel like a stroll on the beach, while this game has Werner beside you with a gun to your head: GO FASTER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
Every time I've tried it, it makes CEO Solitaire feel like a stroll on the beach, while this game has Werner beside you with a gun to your head: GO FASTER!

The directory board would never resort to gunpoint techniques. It is too crude and draws too much bad PR. Rather, the CEO receives a tidy, crisp memorandum:

"We see you are enjoying your much-earned vacation at the Europa subaquatic station. The directory table looks forward to our next meeting and has the highest expectations for your increased productivity after using the company's facility for personal recreational use."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andro Hsu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
CthulhuKid wrote:
I believe you need to get your Bernal to a dirtside right quickly and get as many colonists into space as possible. Hazardous Wages lets you buy a lot of cards for "cheap" and you can get a lot of actions in. Maybe getting a Venus lab is the way to do it. Probably getting the best promoted colonist is important, too.

Hazardous Wages seems to me to *nerf* colonists' extra actions. Having to pay 2+ WT to have the ability to pay 2 WT for a card and then have to pay 2+ WT to sell that card for 5 WT seems like a slooooooow way to make a WT—and then your colonist gets cancer and dies.

If only Werner's progeny were prodigies and could perform extra actions for their age in WT before turning 24...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
neandrothal wrote:

Hazardous Wages seems to me to *nerf* colonists' extra actions. Having to pay 2+ WT to have the ability to pay 2 WT for a card and then have to pay 2+ WT to sell that card for 5 WT seems like a slooooooow way to make a WT—and then your colonist gets cancer and dies.

If only Werner's progeny were prodigies and could perform extra actions for their age in WT before turning 24...

Well yeah, true. Though if you're getting 2 supports for said card, you're making out in the end.

And maybe only getting colonists by the parenting action so you can use their action when they're 12?

I dunno, it definitely requires more play. The next time I get a chance to get this out (this weekend if the fates allow) I'm going to give this scenario a whirl or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andro Hsu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
And...I just realized that it says right below the Hazardous Duty Wages rule that "If you pay Hazardous Wages, you obtain cards during Research or Recruit at no extra cost."

Time to try again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neandrothal wrote:
And...I just realized that it says right below the Hazardous Duty Wages rule that "If you pay Hazardous Wages, you obtain cards during Research or Recruit at no extra cost."

Time to try again!

Yeah, that's a big deal (which means that the poor engineer colonists are devalued.) Also, robot colonist ops only cost 1WT and they don't count against your colonist limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So I gave it a shot Friday night.

I did not win, but I made a pretty good run at it.

I started by grabbing the Calypso-2 Seed Sail colonists. I used them to Research every tech that came with 2 supports. That maximized their cost usage. I also bumped them to the Wet Nano seed sail when I had a free moment. Because of their special ability, I was able to build a factory on a 'V' class Synodic comet.

That was my major failing. I didn't realize there was only one 'V' class Gigawatt thruster. I thought I was doing pretty well since 'V' class goods are pretty useful, and I was selling what I didn't need and making nice rockets and such out of what I could. I didn't bother making other factories since I was laser focused on the GW Thruster future. When I finally got the Levitated Dipole Fusion GW Thruster and looked at the back, I saw that the Future involved building factories on Mercury, Venus and Io. A tall order. I was able to get one on Mercury and was on the way to build one on Venus when Werner died.

I had my Bernal at the comet as a dirtside so was able to have 2 colonists. That was enough to really do what I needed to each turn. Once they were both promoted, I was able to handle a ton of things I needed (my second colonist ended up being the Renaissance Man, a big advantage).

So really, if I had gone for a different comet or a 'D' site, I may have won.

Lesson learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andro Hsu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Very nice! I decided to try out CEO Solitaire before returning to Werner's Star. After two attempts where pad explosions decommissioned my crew in my unpromoted Bernal before the very first directory meeting--requiring 3VP within 12 turns and needing to boost my crew--I'm now doing pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
To me, that's the joy of CEO: You either lose so quickly you can restart without trouble, or you get hours of entertainment.

Though I have been mulling over how to win Werner's ever since this playthrough. I just need to find the time to do it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andro Hsu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'd love to read through a log of your solitaire plays and/or post my own. I think I saw someone else log their CEO Solitaire run (was that you? can't remember). Great way to exchange stories and strategies and also get any errors pointed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yup, that was me.

I occasionally blather on about my solo plays, but don't do it often as I get Very Wordy. I also don't want to fill the blog with nothing but High Frontier plays.

However, merely the process of writing everything down and putting down the "why" of all of my actions really helped me develop strategies and concentrate on the nuts and bolts of play. Also made those fall into the background during later plays and made it a heck of a lot more fun.

I recommend anyone to get into the very wordy model with this game. It really helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Astyaro
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My head hurts after my second attempt. It is Imposible to do it in just 36 turns . This last time I made some some changes. First I randomly chose a Gigawatt Thruster to start with and had it in my hand from the Begining. This way I read the Future and started to plan my strategy. I had to get a TNO LAB an the Aerostats in Saturn and Uranus. So I went to LUNA (S) and built my factory there.
I compleated the mission at the age of 78. I am sure in High Frontier univers people have a much higher life expectancy. I don't see how to do it faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Nerd
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
I did win a Werners Star Solitaire, but that was back in 2nd edition. Winning strategy was "cheating" on the lab via either Calypso Seed-Sail or Microgravity Pantrophists.

In 3rd the epic hazard roll rules have changed dramatically to nerf that strategy. Its MUCH less feasible; having your winning chance reduced to 1/6 of a die roll is not fun.

Nevertheless, there are way easier and and way harder Starship futures.

Easy: Antimatter creation, Protium Fusion, Mini-Black hole creation

Maybe easy: Lithiated Ammona Ice starship, Enzmann Starship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werner's star is harder in 3e, but definitely winnable. You just have to figure out a few tricks, it's like a puzzle with a few solutions that work well. Here's one:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Make a factory on Mars asap, get your bernal in mars orbit, produce the C black robonaut with isru 0, a solar sail and lots of WT. Use those black cards to industrialize Mercury and Venus, making a lab in Venus and/or Mercury. Then industrialize Io for the push factory future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Booker
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I’ve tried this twice now. Very new to the advanced game. I seem to spend all 36 turns just getting the right combo of cards together to build my first factory. I haven’t succeeded building a factory in 36 turns yet. WTs seem so difficult to get hold of. Plus getting the right combos of supports together.

Let alone getting a gw thruster and building that!

I hope to get the hang of it one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Booker
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mbooker wrote:
I’ve tried this twice now. Very new to the advanced game. I seem to spend all 36 turns just getting the right combo of cards together to build my first factory. I haven’t succeeded building a factory in 36 turns yet. WTs seem so difficult to get hold of. Plus getting the right combos of supports together.

Let alone getting a gw thruster and building that!

I hope to get the hang of it one day.

I’m reading the rules again and discovered that radiators are not needed for factories and can be used for thrusting and operations in the same round. That will speed up the acquisition of combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.