GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,332 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Shanti Massey
msg tools
From the Legend of Five Rings with Fantasy Flight Games AMA:

Quote:
Dueling involves a challenge between two characters based on those character's stats (military or political). Each player will make a bid on their honor dial to add to their participant's stat. This works just like the bid in the draw phase: the higher bidder gives honor equal to the difference to the lower bidder. The character with the higher total stat at the end wins, with consequences determined by the card that started the duel. -ED

Quite interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of me feels like they are leaning way too hard on the Honor bidding mechanisms between the Conflict draws and Dueling buffs, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanti Massey
msg tools
Danwarr wrote:
Part of me feels like they are leaning way too hard on the Honor bidding mechanisms between the Conflict draws and Dueling buffs, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually play it.

It does have the vibe of "where else can we use this?" but I too want to see it in action before I make the call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know how to feel about that... Seems like Duel should have its own resource instead of recycling honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Metcalf
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
badge
You must be, or you wouldn’t have come here.
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me of combat resolution in Scythe. Power on cards + a dial. Not the same, but reminiscent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Norairo wrote:
Don't know how to feel about that... Seems like Duel should have its own resource instead of recycling honor.

I hear that, but at the same time I'm kind of glad we are limited the different types of resources in play.

I'm pretty interested in the economy for this game now because there are a lot of factors in play here. Tying duels to honor and by extension card draw seems like it can open up some interesting plays to gain an advantage.

It kind of reminds me of the link/trace mechanic from Netrunner. Again not the same thing but similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanti Massey
msg tools
If anything, I'd say that the honor bid mechanic is much more at home in Dueling. Trading Honor for Force seems super thematic to a Swordfight or Debate. Especially in the Political Duel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
I hear that, but at the same time I'm kind of glad we are limited the different types of resources in play.

Can't argue with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying very hard not to let my nostalgia get in the way of my enjoying this, but none of this "feels" right just yet. I will buy into the game, of course, and I'll still play it, but I find myself compromising on what I wanted/expected and what FFG is doing far more than I had hoped.

For reference, I hate Arkham Horror LCG, and I hope this doesn't remind me too much of that game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanti Massey
msg tools
Jacovis wrote:
For reference, I hate Arkham Horror LCG, and I hope this doesn't remind me too much of that game...

I seriously doubt that it will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purgatus wrote:
Jacovis wrote:

I seriously doubt that it will.

I'd hope so, but all the weird flowery tokeny stuff is starting to irritate me. I remember when Star Wars LCG came out, the placing combat cards for force icons thing reminded me of dueling in L5R, and I was really hoping for something that felt like that for this. The duel (heh) use of Force values and the cards with tactics and duels was one of the more interesting deck-building elements.

The honor dial thing does seem to be over-used. Not necessarily in this case, but who knows. I'm going to wait, buy it, and play it. I'm really going to try and like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanti Massey
msg tools
Jacovis wrote:
Banter

I mean, game-wise, Arkham LCG is extremely removed in experence with its co-op, bag o tokens and campaign experience. I can only assume you mean it in another way.

How do you worry it will be similar? Production value? Distribution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on where in the game turn the duels take place, this seems like a good way to balance out having to spend honor for card drawing. If you drew a bunch of cards and are low on honor, fight a duel to get it back! Nice balancing mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also kinda thematic having to reclaim your honor by declaring duels. I'd like to see some of the card effects that trigger duels to get a good feel for how useful it will be in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purgatus wrote:
Jacovis wrote:
Banter

I mean, game-wise, Arkham LCG is extremely removed in experence with its co-op, bag o tokens and campaign experience. I can only assume you mean it in another way.

How do you worry it will be similar? Production value? Distribution?

It's nothing I can quantify, so it's not worth debating really.

It's more that I was excited for AH, and it ended up being the first LCG FFG released that I didn't just dislike - I hated it. It wasn't fun. I tried and have retried to enjoy it, it's just not the game for me.

L5R is different because I played the CCG for years, and after becoming invested in it, the story, the characters, and the lore, I am worried now that they will change mechanisms that worked for the sake of new and shiny.

I knew they would be changing it, obviously, but the changes so far don't feel like L5R anymore - they feel like something different, and I'm not sure how that will translate into my enjoyment of the game.

As I said, I'll buy it and try it. I hope it's not too watered down and different, even though I know it would need to be trimmed a bit to reach a more mainstream audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel for you hardcore L5R players.

You guys had a game you loved, but unfortunately it died.

To bring it back from the dead, obviously changes needed to be made (in an attempt) to get a strong, long-lasting player base.

So now you got a game you don't like as much but...at least people are playing it?

Bittersweet at best, either way.

Like I said, I feel for ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Honor-bid system is very similar to the edge battle mechanic from the Star Wars LCG; not surprised they took one of the fans' favorite parts of one of their other games and are recycling it.

That said, I do love that mechanic. It's part of the reason the Star Wars LCG is my favorite game. It creates a lot of tension and excitement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.