GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,855 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the best way to minimize the disparity vis a vis the 2 items mentioned in subject. Not only can the USA bring in more SP's each turn (and that is only exacerbated as states and ports fall.

but the worst is that even at the beginning, the USA has over 2x as many strategic movements so they can load up their armies with 7 SPs each, every turn. and they still have 1 other one.

I was able to stop gap this for a bit but even with winning every medium battle but one over the first 3 turns, there was just too many losses and i can't transfer my SP's fast enough to even replace losses. how do I counter this disparity?

Also, how do I counter trail of SP's strategy where they just leave 1 SP at each point all over KY or North VA for instance? I can take them back easily but as they are all on medium battle scale, it is guaranteed 1-1 losses each battle which is an amazing trade for the USA.

maybe my mistake was trying to be defensive in most areas and trying to maintain my SP supply as long as possible and I only went on offensive to gain KY and therefore DC reinforcements have gone every turn to his Army of the Missouri.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember the rule exactly but leaving 1sp should be easily punished. There are odds where the 1sp goes away without a fight.

I think the answer is go back to turn 1 and play differently.

How many times have you played?

The CSA has to keep the ratio fair by eliminating USA units, not by conserving his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Clark
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert on this topic but it seems to me that the CSA has to go on the offensive and make some risky plays by the Summer of 1862. Above all it's got to do its utmost to take Washington DC as soon as it can, if it can.

If it doesn't, the writing is on the wall. It will lose the advantage it has in better generals, including cavalry generals, as greater USA resources shift the balance even more in its favour. With its greater troop reinforcements, the USA can afford to take losses while the CSA can't. As the USA blockade level climbs, it starts to choke off blockade running CSA reinforcements, increases its river control as CSA forts fall, and then better USA generals start to make an impact.

Presently I'm just finishing off Summer 1862 and as the CSA I took Washington DC with the aid of Lee, Nathan Bedford Forest and the AoNV in the Spring of 1862, but even so the USA has invaded the south with the aid of its navy and destroyed three CSA resource spaces, destroyed the Army of Tennessee once and nearly a second time. Jeb Stuart went down fighting Burnside and the Army of Cumberland in Franklin. Currently, even with the capture of DC I'm about ten SW points behind. Nevertheless this has been a game of pure drama and I'm enjoying it - maybe because it is tough for the CSA. You have to be ready for a rough ride with the CSA. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lowe
United States
Forest
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The CSA needs to be able to project some sort of offensive threat in 1862. If they play a purely defensive game, the USA will eventually be able to find a weak point and exploit it. They just don't have the manpower and strategic moves to defend all points.

As far as your strategic movement goes, try to arrange your reinforcements so that you can place an incoming general in such a way that in one move he can gather them up and bring them to the front line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
I can't remember the rule exactly but leaving 1sp should be easily punished. There are odds where the 1sp goes away without a fight.

I think the answer is go back to turn 1 and play differently.

How many times have you played?

The CSA has to keep the ratio fair by eliminating USA units, not by conserving his own.

I have probably been too defensive but I have sought targets of opportunity wherever I could find places to strike and get a kill-death ratio of 2-1 to help keep some parity.

There is a rule for overruns with 10-1 unit ratio. The problem is getting 10+ units into the CSA in the first place if the union is being even half way aggressive they will bleed a couple SP's from you each battle even with poor leadership. The other fact is that if you build a really nice army in NOVA through using bulk of strategic movements there then you leave yourself extremely vulnerable in defending Mississippi, Ohio and Cumberland/Tennessee rivers. Once those lines started falling in my game my resource spaces started getting eaten up and my reinforcements and SW plummeted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to concede and try again.

It sounds like you are on the right track. 10:1... If the USA is going to leave a trail of 1SP... I'll find a way to get 10:1. It is possible. And to eat up some SP, it might be ok to give up something else.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

It sounds like you are on the right track. 10:1... If the USA is going to leave a trail of 1SP... I'll find a way to get 10:1. It is possible. And to eat up some SP, it might be ok to give up something else.

thanks...it was my first game against a real opponent after going through a couple play through of others and the playbook 1861 turn. I know James Pei has perfected the art of creating Terror with Army of NOVA in the early years but it seems like I am so far behind on troops and the union will take much heavier losses but he can always come in behind me and cut my supply/LOC as i don't have enough forces to guard my lines back to Richmond and keep enough troops to suffer the losses that inevitably come with bludgeoning through each space of union hordes. I need to find a way to get to 10-1 even if it costs me elsewhere just so I can see how if it pays off. I think the USA player also did it becuase then if I get that many troops together, I am in the 2 SP attrition zone and he is in 0 attrition. plus as soon as I drop below 10 I am trading 1 SP for 1 SP the whole way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

I am trying to do this in the new game but so far it has been pretty so-so. by focusing so many SPs on my army to get to 10 SPs, 2 things happen:

1. I have to neglect my Western and Central Theaters quite a bit and I am being bludgeoned there.

2. 1 simple frontal attack against my army with at least 10 SPs in A of P which isn't hard is guaranteed to knock down at least a few SPs off my army and now I am back to not having that 10-1.

One final issue is that my armies are so slow with only 6 MPs and I can't use Corp's who are more mobile which limits number of SPs I can eat up to the ones that are close to my army. The US does a great job of dispersing these SPs in the central and west theaters where I have neglected with some SPs in order to beef up my Army of NOVA.

I guess the solution is to build another army in the West even if I can't maintain it at a very strong level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real answer is to join the next BPA tournament online and get your clock cleaned by a confederate player who knows what he's doing. That way you will learn very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dieroll Honker wrote:
The real answer is to join the next BPA tournament online and get your clock cleaned by a confederate player who knows what he's doing. That way you will learn very quickly.

Just quoting this to give it more attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
Dieroll Honker wrote:

Just quoting this to give it more attention.

sounds good... i am in the process of reading through the ACTS logs of some of the BPA games and it is very insightful. i think i just am not aggressive enough with army in VA and need to put more pressure there for them to use cards. I went more aggressive in the last game turn and managed to score 3 large battle victories which was amazing but now i'm almost bled white although my opponent certainly took a large number of casualties as well.

unfortunately, northern VA is now full of forts along the way (what he did with most of his 1 OP cards of which there were not many) so to actually advance and cut off DC is pretty much hopeless now. But the SW swings were very huge for me as well as making it so he can no longer break up his armies into a sizable flanking corp and still have a huge force in the main army. but i'm also in the same boat with my army hovering around 4 SPs due 3 large clashes with the same army. i wouldn't even have been able to continue if not for Religious revival card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a Bill Pettus game when he's the CSA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I heard James Pei is the master of aggressive CSA strategies but I haven't been able to find anything other than a very high level AAR of his games. Would love to find one of his games with play by play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I heard James Pei is the master of aggressive CSA strategies but I haven't been able to find anything other than a very high level AAR of his games. Would love to find one of his games with play by play

Go to ACTS, they are in the semi finals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.