1 Posts

Catan Card Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: It Ain't Over 'til It's Over rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chula Vista
flag msg tools
The Settlers of Catan is a really enjoyable game. Dogzard and Twinkles have the card play version since they can always game with each other and I have the travel edition for quick plays. What did you do for the 4th??? Well we gamed...and while we waited for the rest of the crew to show up Dogzard and I took out the card version and gave it a shot.

Play would have been normal but the die rolls were being affected such that those great middle numbers you hope to have show up...don't. I think we rolled two fours in the entire game and the rolls of 3's, 5's, and 6's took the game by storm. Rolls of 2's, and 1's followed for less than five, and of course a four was at the low end of the spectrum. Since my resource card for wood was activated only on a 4, that made progress pretty slow for me from the get go.

Dogzard was in the zone...road...settlement...extra Somewhere in the first half of the game I, with my measly start of game set up pretty much undeveloped asked if there was any way I could concede. Of course, Dogzard was encouraging reminding me that he was only winning by two victory points and I could easily catch up. Of course he said this as he sat on ten resource producing regions, protected by three garrisons, and two ports. Did I mention the bath house and two cities? Still I sort of took comfort in the fact that with all those pieces in play I was only trailing by two. What sort of comfort? Southern Comfort of course!!!!

Well the die rolls were not smiling my way. Brigands sacked me thrice. Commerce rolls took resources left and right. The cards I had were great, and always one resource short of being able to be played. If it wasn't the brigand, it was the commerce token. Years of Progress event cards favored garrisoned settlements...and I got nothing.

While the end did not come quickly, and it was not merciful, it was still a close game. I trailed by two at the beginning, middle, and yes unto the end of the game. The sincere, but vacuous encouragement from Dogzard validated the lucks of the draw, and the rolls of the dice working both ways. It was not over until it was over...and when it was...I was in no worse a position than at any other time in the game.

But having said side of the table looked like a skeleton soon to be ghost town of arrested development ...whereas Dogzards side of the table looked like a full blown Arnold Shwartzneger progressive development. Wow!!! Look at that wheat!!! It is going to pump you up!!!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.