GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,707 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games that slipped through your fingers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CC
United States
flag msg tools
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
badge
The Shadow knows!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been looking for a copy of Unhappy King Charles! for a long time (at least one under $100) and I finally won a copy on Ebay. But, just my luck, the seller cancels after I win (I won it for about fifty bucks so I assume he didn't get as much as he wanted for it).

Has anyone else had a game that they really wanted slip through their fingers? Or maybe a game that you found for a great price that you waited too long to pull the trigger on (I do that all the time)?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, early last year my wife & I are perusing a local comic book store looking at their very limited selection of board games (but hey, they're a comic book store, I'm just grateful they have ANY board games) when I pick up a board game called Village for $10 (red sticker with the word "reduced" on it.)

Never heard of it, put it back on the shelf and never gave it a second thought until I saw a review of it on YouTube.

d'oh!

Not sure I would've liked it but it seems like a good price for the game in retrospect.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had ordered a copy of Schwimmer in der Wüste from Boulder Games when we was going out of business. Well, the package went missing in transit. But, he was willing to replace the package, unfortunately that and other items were no longer available.

So, he gave me credit and I put in an order for an order that included Morisi. That order did make it, but had another game thrown in instead of Morisi. I tried to e-mail him, but it was about a week before he closed for good and never got back to me.

I've never seen either when I was out looking and had money to spend. (The later I see sometimes, never the former).

As a second story:
I've always wanted to see a game by Spielteufel GmbH.
I was part of a large 'trade' with a friend. He had this usge list of European board games. And was very exited there was a copy of Welt der Winde that I could get. When the package finally got to me and I excitedly opened it, inside was [geekurl=https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14989/world-wines]Welt der Weine[/geekurl]
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I won a copy of Ships Deluxe verion on Ebay. Right after I won, it was cancelled. Found out from the seller that his young daughter had opened the game and glued the ships to something she was "making". They were ruined. Fortunately, I was able to get another copy a few days later.

Oh, and Village is an awesome game. $10 is a steal.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered a copy of Spellbound from one of Funagain's sales. After waiting a week with no word, I emailed them. Turns out they'd munched the inventory count and ended up taking one more order (mine) for the game than they actually had.

I was bummed because it was a great price for that game.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Popsicle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I've been wanting Kaigan for a long time now. It's OOP and not currently at prices I'd like to pay, but I may break down one day.

In 2014 just after my son was born someone posted in the Marketplace a copy (ended up being "copies") for ~$20, shipping included(!!). Having just had a child, and needing at least three people to play, I didn't think I should lay out the cash, even that little, at that time to use the money elsewhere, and my time would be at a premium. Also, I thought it's a fairly obscure game that those copies would last a bit.

A user here put it upon themselves to list it in the Hot Deals forum (I believe that's against policy..at least for the one listing the game. The post certainly came under some ire by others). Needless to say, the copies went quickly (check the Price History).

Kicking myself ever since.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vegtam wrote:
the seller cancels after I win (I won it for about fifty bucks so I assume he didn't get as much as he wanted for it).


This kind of nonsense is part of why I completely gave up on eBay many many years ago.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor

and

Ra - Which I now have(but for a lot higher cost).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
So, early last year my wife & I are perusing a local comic book store looking at their very limited selection of board games (but hey, they're a comic book store, I'm just grateful they have ANY board games) when I pick up a board game called Village for $10 (red sticker with the word "reduced" on it.)

Never heard of it, put it back on the shelf and never gave it a second thought until I saw a review of it on YouTube.

d'oh!

Not sure I would've liked it but it seems like a good price for the game in retrospect.


At that price, you could have played it once, hated it, and still gotten your money's worth.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Macao in my hands at the FDGS (D for distant) awhile ago...before it was OOP...before I knew who Feld was...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago (before it went out of print forever), I had my eye on the Glory to Rome black box. It happened twice.....

-Where I used to live there was a game store that had a 20% off everything sale, and I almost picked up Glory to Rome for...what....twenty something bucks? But I was about to move, so I passed it up. Damn.....

It gets worse.

-After I moved, I was at a all day gaming event at my new gaming store, and they had a door prize drawing all day. Like every couple hours, the would draw a ticket and you could choose from a couple prizes that various game companies had donated.

One of those in the group I put my tickets in was Glory to Rome. That is what I wanted, that was my goal. Yeah, there were dozens (hundreds? I don't know, but let's say hundreds because that increases the drama) of tickets in there, and I had like five. My chances were low, but I had a goal. I had a dream.

The first ticket was someone who picked something I didn't care for. I still had a chance!

The second ticket was someone who didn't know what to pick. He was going to get something else, but someone told him "Get Glory to Rome! That's a good game." So he did.

It was gone. My dream was burst. Nothing could make it worse.....

...the next ticket pulled was mine.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CC
United States
flag msg tools
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
badge
The Shadow knows!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
A few years ago (before it went out of print forever), I had my eye on the Glory to Rome black box. It happened twice.....

-Where I used to live there was a game store that had a 20% off everything sale, and I almost picked up Glory to Rome for...what....twenty something bucks? But I was about to move, so I passed it up. Damn.....

It gets worse.

-After I moved, I was at a all day gaming event at my new gaming store, and they had a door prize drawing all day. Like every couple hours, the would draw a ticket and you could choose from a couple prizes that various game companies had donated.

One of those in the group I put my tickets in was Glory to Rome. That is what I wanted, that was my goal. Yeah, there were dozens (hundreds? I don't know, but let's say hundreds because that increases the drama) of tickets in there, and I had like five. My chances were low, but I had a goal. I had a dream.

The first ticket was someone who picked something I didn't care for. I still had a chance!

The second ticket was someone who didn't know what to pick. He was going to get something else, but someone told him "Get Glory to Rome! That's a good game." So he did.

It was gone. My dream was burst. Nothing could make it worse.....

...the next ticket pulled was mine.


Wow. I think the gaming gods are trying to tell you something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A game I didn't buy?

Pete (struggles to remember one)
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Albright
Canada
flag msg tools
When I was a kid, my sister and I were competing to build the best sand castle, and I ran out of water and my sand was too dry, slipping through my fingers.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I saw Queen's Gambit on the shelf at Target and thought, 'yeah, it's Star Wars, but what kind of decent game can you get at Target? Pass.'

Also passed on Epic Duels and Buffy. Same reason. So mad at myself - both for being a snob and because those are fun games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Washington
msg tools
badge
That's no moon....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone had a complete set of Descent: Journeys in the Dark 1st Ed. with all of the expansions and minis on offerup for $15. I messaged him saying I could pick it up right away. Didn't hear back from him for about 2 weeks and he sent me a message saying he didn't see my message until just then, when he logged in to delete the listing because he had just sold it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I was pulling power grid down from my shelf the other day and it slipped from my fingers and spilled all over the floor. It was awful.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Banta
United States
Coffeyville
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not think that a seller could cancel a sale after it had been won by someone.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CC
United States
flag msg tools
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
badge
The Shadow knows!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mbanta12 wrote:
I did not think that a seller could cancel a sale after it had been won by someone.


They sure can. I mean, if they aren't going to send it what other choice do they have then to cancel?
It happens more often than you might think unfortunately.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I have been wanting a copy of Sakkara for a while (Egyptian-themed, Kosmos 2p are things I like). Not particularly well-reviewed so not too keen on paying OPP prices but I also haven't been able to even find many copies for sale or trade in general.

So a few weeks ago, a post goes up, Boards & Bits -- The Sad Tale, and I had used to order from the site so I start taking a look at what turned out to be a fantastic time capsule of games for sale. Instead of going for the obvious games, big game games I look for more obscure items in my wishlist, including Sakkara. And he had a copy!!!! For retail! In the cart it goes, I go ahead and add World Without End since the shipping would have basically been the same for both.

So I start the process but since the site had *just* gone live there were all of these technical issues. So I would do something, have to post about the issues, do one more step, next issue, etc...and it was basically me and this one other guy doing this. Only he was doing a MO and I was paying by card, so he finishes his order before me since he just has to say he's going to mail payment in while I had like 3 more bug-filled steps. I think nothing of it. Until my order goes through. And I was charged for Would Without End, but no Sakkara cry cry cry I start joking with the other guy in the thread that he must have taken 'my' game (there were lots of other people at the same time also buying) thinking 'who the hell else is looking for this other, kind of obscure and random game when there were copies of Roads & Boats and Black Box Glory to Rome to be had?? So he emails me and said he looked of my WL and didn't see anything there they we bought. So then I say "yeah but who who the hell else is looking for Sakkara, a kind of obscure and random game when there were copies of....." you get the idea. And he was like 'Oh wait! Yeah, that was me! We collect kosmos 2p games' GAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! He did offer to let me know if they decided to not keep it after playing but, alas, he let me know that, at least for now, they were going to keep it and the seller actually looked for another copy in the warehouse he felt so bad about it but *poof* gone.

So while I did get the retail price on another game I wanted (and was thinking of getting on Amazon anyway because I suspect it will go OP sooner than later), I didn't actually get the much harder to get game I really wanted. Boooo!

TL;DR: lost out on a mini-grail on my list at a great price because money orders took less time to go through than credit card orders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a)Half price for Concordia at my FLGS. "Maybe later..." I said.

b)"I am cleaning out the attic" my sister said from the other side of the continent 20 years ago. "What do you want me to do with this wargame you left here? ...it's called Up Front" "Toss it, I guess. I doubt I will ever play boardgames again."

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift Marlo wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
So, early last year my wife & I are perusing a local comic book store looking at their very limited selection of board games (but hey, they're a comic book store, I'm just grateful they have ANY board games) when I pick up a board game called Village for $10 (red sticker with the word "reduced" on it.)

Never heard of it, put it back on the shelf and never gave it a second thought until I saw a review of it on YouTube.

d'oh!

Not sure I would've liked it but it seems like a good price for the game in retrospect.


At that price, you could have played it once, hated it, and still gotten your money's worth.


Yeah, just about any real game is worth $10 minimum
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico Limited Anniversary Edition

&

Napoleons Triumph

On 2 different occasions had them in my hands knowing they where OOP at my local store.

I was stupid back then blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy D
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
I was pulling power grid down from my shelf the other day and it slipped from my fingers and spilled all over the floor. It was awful.


Well done sir, well done. You made me actually lol.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.