GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Chess comparisons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Star Wars: Rebellion and it felt to me like a thematic, more advanced version of Chess. Obviously the mechanics are different, there are cards and characters in Rebellion, board arrangements are different -- I acknowledge all the differences between the two. My statement focuses more on the feelings being similar; the tension and long term strategies, movement restrictions, winning conditions, etc.

My question is, can a comparison even be made? Or, is Chess only comparable to other abstracts? If you stripped Rebellion of its theme, is a comparison possible?

I am a newb to the hobby, so wondering if anyone more experienced has a similar thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The kind of comparison you're talking about can be worth making when trying to express how playing the game made you feel, but doesn't really hold up in any other way.

It's a bit like how Jiu Jitsu is often referred to as "human chess." The mind games and strategic depth of both create similar emotional reactions, but the games themselves aren't really comparable. I wouldn't tell chessmasters to go train in Jiu Jitsu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
weesh ful
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
just because a game is old doesn't mean it is immune to comparison.

I used to (with a bit of hyperbole), tell people that "Curling is like chess on ice".

And then I'd explain some of the basic strategy behind it. Those short 6 words were intriguing to people, and often broken their preconceptions enough that they'd be open to hearing what the deal was, and often coming to the club to try playing.

Were those 6 words accurate?
Only a tiny bit.
But the comparison served it's purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The comparison seems very apt in your case. It's a game of cat and mouse, of variable powers and strategies, of feints and sacrifices. Honestly, for all the debates about theme (or lack thereof) every game is an abstraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I haven't played Rebellion, so I don't know how apt the comparison is, but Summoner Wars is far from an abstract game and it gives me a feeling of chess. You have units with different abilities that you move around a grid and attack your opponents' units with in order to "take out" one very special unit for the win.

The mechanisms that each game uses for those features is different, but I see a similarity at the core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory in the Pacific feels more chess-like than most wargames because of the move-countermove situation and the "If I make this move, my opponent can do X, but if I don't make this move, my opponent can do Y" reflexive thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is it that all strategy games have a Chess feel or is it certain distinct characteristics of a game that make it feel similar?

In Rebellion, the game definitely has a "check"/"checkmate" situation where the Empire can eliminate places for the Rebels to hide. Also, pieces on the board are sacrificed like pawns to setup others.

Don't most strategy games have aspects of this? I would say yes, but many just don't have that Chess feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think all of them do. Twilight Struggle does. War of the Ring does not. Both are excellent strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I haven't played Rebellion, so I don't know how apt the comparison is, but Summoner Wars is far from an abstract game and it gives me a feeling of chess. You have units with different abilities that you move around a grid and attack your opponents' units with in order to "take out" one very special unit for the win.

The mechanisms that each game uses for those features is different, but I see a similarity at the core.

+1. And the common units are comparable to pawns in my mind. I like chess but am not nuts on it. I really like Summoner Wars.

Also I kinda like that is has dice rolling, unlike chess. It feels like it makes me less AP-prone, as the dice roll can save your skin or scupper your most cunning plans. I play it more relaxed than chess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dirk
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often feel that Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game feels very chess-like when played solo. Each action the Marines take has an order number. Now when playing co-op each player DOSE NOT reveal the actions they have chosen and then all players reveal them at once. The actions are then executed in the order of the order numbers going from lowest to highest. BUT in a solo game when the player controls all the Marines this is ignored. So the player can do a lot of forward-thinking in choosing his/her action to get the best results by choosing which action should be executed first, then next. So on and so on. This is something you can't do in co-op and if you choose to do something and another player, who's action executes first, does something that negates what it is you wanted to do, well then too bad. This is where the chess aspect comes in for me while playing solo.

As a side note (not related to this topic) this is why I feel like this is one of the very few games I can think of that feels like it was designed as a solo game with a multi-player rule tacked on at the last minute. Usually it's the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.