GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Serenity Custom STAW Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Custom [+] Cartas [+] Regras [+] Naves [+] [View All]
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apologize in advance for the long post and tiny card pictures! I'm not sure how to make them bigger blush

I got into Star Trek: Attack Wing (and Board Game Geek.com) four or five months ago which is (what feels like) relatively late, but as they say, better late then never. I quickly fell deep into this wormhole, and have a new hobby now. Another thing I have done (what feels like) a bit too late, is finally watch Serenity after years of badgering from my friends.
This, along with some photoshop experience and a 3D printer, has led me to try and integrate the Firefly Class Transport Vessel: Serenity and her crew into STAW. Two newfound loves of mine combined! Hope you enjoy seeing what I’ve come up with; I am open to suggestions/edits.

I'll try to get a better picture of my model sometime.

Reasoning
There are a many freaky unexplained things that happen in Star Trek (and I haven’t even watched them all); even multiple dimensions like a “Mirror Universe” where copies of yourself leading a completely different life can exist simultaneously, and the universe is infinitely huge, so… Why couldn’t Serenity and her crew slide into some sort of Quantum Singularity and end up bouncing off of Voyager? (There’s a cross-over episode I’d pay to see)

Serenity
The Firefly Class Transport Ship is a nimble and highly maneuverable ship; hence the 3 EVADE dice. Now, let me address the other stats.
HULL- 3 is considered to be a small ship in STAW. Plus; I don’t want it be get destroyed first attack. Made sense to me.
SHEILDS- “Serenity didn’t have shields!” I know. But I had to make an exception, because mechanically, this ship plays a lot better with shields. For instance, a Boarding Party. Think of the shields as extra maneuverability; or perhaps having to fire warning shots to get the ship to slow down.
ATTACK: “Serenity didn’t have weapons!” Well, a STOCK Firefly doesn’t have weapons. There are a lot of custom ships out there in the ‘Verse. See the mandatory Weapons Slot card for this Ship.
ACTION: The ship’s Action was originally to rotate 90 degrees; this has been moved to the Thruster Mobility Tech. I feel the ability to sensor echo and “dodge” out of the way better suits the quick omni-directional thrusters Serenity has.

Movement Card and Dial

Maneuverable, no?

Weapon: Weapons Retrofit
Although not completely defenseless; Fireflies were not manufactured with any weapons. However; add a couple of Magnetic Accelerator Cannons on the wings beside each thruster that; although small; are ready to tear through some shields? Sounded like the best work around to have Serenity pack a little punch to me!
Perhaps these are here in lieu of transport ships…
Another thing this does is place a focus on Serenity to bounce around and try not to get hit to avoid getting it’s weapons disabled. The taking away of remaining shields is supposed to signify crew attentions being on getting those weapons back online.
(for those who have watched the movie; I considered having to Disable the captain card so he could climb on top of the ship and use the cannon there; but that idea seemed ill-conceived, if canonically accurate☺)

Talent: Crazy Ivan
Yep. It’s the Crazy Ivan. From the show. Spin around, put engines on full burn, emit a shockwave as you blast out of there. Good for getting out of sticky situations or actually dealing some damage if your 3 attack dice aren’t cutting it. Take an aux because you went full burn. This was fun during play-testing.

Tech / Talent: Thruster Mobility
Lets you turn 90 degrees after executing a green maneuver an unlimited number of times, which is fun. Also, if you do a green and bump something, you can choose to turn 90 degrees to “dodge” it at the last second, and avoid the penalty. It’s a talent OR a tech so you can mix it up more. I couldn’t decide on card cost for this one, but since it seems like an inherent ability of the ship, I went with only 4. It can get expensive to run this ship, and then it can blow up quickly. I felt I had to make concessions somewhere.

Tech: Magnetic Grapplers
I know these were on the Reaver Trans-U in the series, but according to http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Firefly_Class, certain Firefly models were equipped with this tool. It’s sort of like the Fina Prime’s Vidiian Grappler, but it’s a single use. Use your maneuverability to get out of their firing arc; then STAY out of their firing arc! Sneaky.

Tech: Transport Hold
Really, Serenity is about the crew. So how about a way to fit more of them on there? That’s pretty much all this is and although it’s not the most technically fun upgrade, it makes the experience of playing this ship feel more pure.

Captain: Malcolm Reynolds
A true inspiration to his crew. Keep those crew abilities firing, keep the ship alive.

Captain: Wash
Also a crew member, he flies the ship when Mal is away. His ability is pretty fun. Also based on the series, he finds a hidden place to set the ship down, they do some repairs, then get back on the road. The… space road. In space. Yeah.

Crew: Wash
I considered making Wash a double sided Crew/Captain card (still am) and when Mal is disabled or discarded Wash could take over by flipping to his captain side.
Anyway, he is the best pilot in the ‘Verse, and wants to keep his lady safe. If his wife Zoe is on the ship, he gives a free evade every other turn.

Crew: Zoe
Synergy with Wash, and gets you a Scan for an action. I figured she’s got great fighting instincts and could identify weak points or tactics for fighting enemy ships. Also, she helps her hubby on the deck running the scanners. They’re a team.

Crew: Simon Tam
Similar to other “doctor” cards, he helps out the crew to perform their actions.

Crew: Inara
Helps with evades because… It seemed like a nice addition to the crew and feel of the ship.

Crew: Jayne
Gets you some rerolls, and provides defense against Boarding Parties and such. What a selfless gentleman. (sarcasm)

Crew: Kaylee
Best mechanic in the ‘Verse. Knows Serenity inside and out. Keeps her running even in dire straights. A cool ability with good synergy, I think.

Reference Card
Legit, right?

Cards Considered but not made (yet?):
Crew card for River Tam.
Crew card for Shepard Derrial Book
Tech card for Transmitter Bouys aka “Crybabies”
Talent card based on Wash’s quote “I am a Leaf On the Wind”

Errata (to be fixed in the future):
Wash is missing CAPTAIN designation on card
Some card title fonts aren't tall enough

I’m completely open to suggestions for revisions to or errors in these cards and suggestions for cards to add; feel free to download and playtest! I haven’t had as many chances as I’d like to play test, but these cards have already gone through quite a few revisions. (Serenity used to have 4 hull and get like 3 evade tokens a turn. OP.)
I have a Reaver Trans-U and some other Capitol ships in the works, but who knows when I will have time to finish those cards or print models for them! Still; I’m open to suggestions for cards for them.

If you’ve made it this far; thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haven't read through all the cards yet but the text for Serenity jumped out at me.

It says that you take a [1] Sensor Echo but then it says "and you may place an evade and auxiliary power token beside the ship".

I think your intention is that the evade is optional but the auxiliary power token is not. However, "may" in STAW is always read as everything afterwards is optional. Typically these kinds of actions come with cost of an aux. So if that is the intent, that you spend an action and gain an aux token for performing the sensor echo then I would reword that part of the card as follows:

"....you may also place an evade token beside your ship. You must place an auxiliary power token beside your ship."

It's possible I'm misreading and your intention is that in addition to the echo you may also place an evade token, but at the cost of also gaining an aux.

It does feel a little powerful to me that the ship does not gain an aux for performing the sensor echo regardless.

My two cents.

Great work in general!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the Serenity was unarmed, apart from when they strapped a cannon to its hull to annoy reapers. Can you explain the thought process behind the weapons rating of 3 and the weapons refit, not sure what thats supposed to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nifty.

My only real critique would be that the Weapon Retrofit actually ADDS the weapon stat boost instead of lowers it.

Might I suggest you have the Serenity have 0 attack (which makes its point cost to be played 6 less) and an upgrade that works similarly to the Improved Phasers which came with the Enterprise B, see below.

But instead of 4 attack make it 3 and make it a 2 point Upgrade.

Also watch your spelling on Shield, I before E except after C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I would update the dial a bit. Remove the 3 u-turn for a red 6 straight. She did "moon" plenty of adversaries.

Change the reverse to white. Green is way too good.

I would consider taking a page from the QuadJumper in XWMG and give it a 1white reverse and 1 white reverse banks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
I thought the Serenity was unarmed, apart from when they strapped a cannon to its hull to annoy reapers. Can you explain the thought process behind the weapons rating of 3 and the weapons refit, not sure what thats supposed to do.

As I explained under the Weapons Retrofit card; Serenity was not armed, and "(for those who have watched the movie; I considered having to Disable the captain card so he could climb on top of the ship and use the cannon there; but that idea seemed ill-conceived, if canonically accurate☺)"

However, having a ship with an attack of "0" is not only (in terms of the basic gameplay= attack/defend) worthless, it's not very fun to play! 3 attack kept this firefly competitive but not over-powered when playtesting. Also, see what MaximumDT had to say!

MaximumDT wrote:
Nifty.

My only real critique would be that the Weapon Retrofit actually ADDS the weapon stat boost instead of lowers it.

Might I suggest you have the Serenity have 0 attack (which makes its point cost to be played 6 less) and an upgrade that works similarly to the Improved Phasers which came with the Enterprise B, see below.

But instead of 4 attack make it 3 and make it a 2 point Upgrade.

Also watch your spelling on Shield, I before E except after C.

I had a version of the ship card that did just that; had a 0 and added the attack with the weapon. It seemed simpler to me if the attack was always going to be 3 anyway; to have the -2 token and the base stat.
However, I love the idea that the Weapons Retrofit MAC cannons become the "primary attack" that can be used every other turn w/ 2 time tokens. What if it was the same as the Enterprise B and was a 4 attack every other turn with the same price? I think I may see how this plays and adjust this! Thanks :]
(and thanks for the shield spelling! Shame on me!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:

I think your intention is that the evade is optional but the auxiliary power token is not. However, "may" in STAW is always read as everything afterwards is optional. Typically these kinds of actions come with cost of an aux. So if that is the intent, that you spend an action and gain an aux token for performing the sensor echo then I would reword that part of the card as follows:

"....you may also place an evade token beside your ship. You must place an auxiliary power token beside your ship."

Hey, good catch! I am going to rephrase that! If you are getting a sensor echo AND an evade; it should definitely be at least an APT! Will edit. Thanks! Let me know if you see any other seemingly unbalanced cards! :]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
I would update the dial a bit. Remove the 3 u-turn for a red 6 straight. She did "moon" plenty of adversaries.

Change the reverse to white. Green is way too good.

I would consider taking a page from the QuadJumper in XWMG and give it a 1white reverse and 1 white reverse banks.

"3 u-turn to red 6 straight" -Love it. "Full Burn" baby!

"Reverse to white" -Sounds logical. I didn't use the reverse too much when play-testing; I'm for this change.

"1 white reverse banks" Hey; that's awesome!!! I never considered that before... What would I take off to make room? Or should I just have a 17 maneuver ship instead of a 15? Love this idea!

Thanks so much for the movement dial feedback! You're totally awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.