GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,891 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Brass: Birmingham» Forums » General

Subject: Board Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric F
msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding the board art on the upper left side of the board is three sign board-like black boxes. What are they for? I imagine one is for the draw pile, but what are the other two for? Side note when will the rules be up or at least the differences between Lancashire and Birmingham gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Leedham
Australia
Croydon Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The differences are highlighted on the main page for the game (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/224517/brass-birming...). I'm also keen to see the rules (in draft at least) up before the end of the KS campaign but it's looking unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nailloc wrote:
Regarding the board art on the upper left side of the board is three sign board-like black boxes. What are they for? I imagine one is for the draw pile, but what are the other two for? Side note when will the rules be up or at least the differences between Lancashire and Birmingham gameplay?

The draw pile, and 2 wild piles.

We have replaced the double action build with a new action: Scout. To scout you simply discard 3 cards and take a wild industry and wild location card. When you use wilds they are returned to these spaces.

There is no space for cards discarded on your action because all cards in both Lancashire and Birmingham are now discarded in your play area. Brass players can have a tendency to occassionally forget to discard a card for a canal, loan, sell, or develop action. Now, if someone forgets to redraw at the end of their turn, you easily see who the culprit was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Dean
United Kingdom
Lichfield
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Arve backed it cus it looks bostin' an I'd like to say to Gav and Matt gud werk aer kids but war arm fret abart on the Brass Birmingham board is weer yow've put The Black Country an weer yow reckon it is. Tay noweer by Uttoxeter an theers ony Wolverampton an Dudlay worram Black Country tarns on yower map. Yowm gunna mek a few Yam Yams wanna giv yow a larrupin' cus Brummagem bay never bin in the Black Country an it bay never gunna be neither.

Translation

I have backed it because it looks very good and well done to Matt and Gav for their hard work. What I am concerned about is the location of the Black Country which is only a very small area of the map. You might upset some Black Country residents by the inaccuracy of labeling the wider Midlands area as the Black Country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Country
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
How you view the world says nothing about the world, and everything about you.
badge
I had a fox instead of a teddy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Deanie wrote:
Arve backed it cus it looks bostin' an I'd like to say to Gav and Matt gud werk aer kids but war arm fret abart on the Brass Birmingham board is weer yow've put The Black Country an weer yow reckon it is. Tay noweer by Uttoxeter an theers ony Wolverampton an Dudlay worram Black Country tarns on yower map. Yowm gunna mek a few Yam Yams wanna giv yow a larrupin' cus Brummagem bay never bin in the Black Country an it bay never gunna be neither.

Translation

I have backed it because it looks very good and well done to Matt and Gav for their hard work. What I am concerned about is the location of the Black Country which is only a very small area of the map. You might upset some Black Country residents by the inaccuracy of labeling the wider Midlands area as the Black Country.

Thanks for pointing that out! I don't think we ever meant to claim, "This map defines the boundaries of black country", but I can see how one might think we meant it that way. We'll take the feedback into consideration for sure, and kudos for the post, I'm proud to say that I figured out what you meant before reading the translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Fowler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Deanie wrote:
Tay noweer by Uttoxeter an theers ony Wolverampton an Dudlay worram Black Country tarns on yower map.

and Walsall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deanie wrote:

Translation

Yes, the Lancashire map also spills out of Lancashire. We may take the references to Black Country off the board before going to print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Fowler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
RoosterJuice wrote:
[q="Deanie"]
Yes, the Lancashire map also spills out of Lancashire. We may take the references to Black Country off the board before going to print.

NO! Don't do that. It's important that players of this game realize it's more about the Black Country than it is about Brummagem. Even a vague and inaccurate reference to the Black Country is better than nothing as at least it will make people have a conception of the fact that the Black Country is something quite distinct, and more far more important, than Birmingham.

(says someone who thinks the game should have been called Brass: Black Country. And that one of your stretch goals is to get the word "bostin" into the rule book.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Deanie wrote:

Translation

Rather than removing the reference, possibly remove the dates and move the Black Country name to within the Dudley, Wolverhampton, Walsall triangle (I guess you'd need smaller lettering).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.