GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: thinking of getting in rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the Arkham Horror LCG and the Game of Thrones LCG. I am thinking of adding a third. I would mostly be playing with my fiancee. Is it too late to get into this game? I like the theme and I like the pod deckbuilding as neither she nor I are big into building decks from scratch. Any advice would be helpful in the above areas or even about balance between the two sides and between factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too late at all, as they have just released another cycle of cards. I think it's a great game, and the pods do make deck-building more simple. Rather than trying to find card synergies, you find yourself thinking​ about which strategies to enable in your deck, rather than tactics.

To me, one of the highlights of gameplay are the edge battles. They can be so crucial, and it can be agonizing trying to decide whether to throw Obi Wan's four force icons into the battle, or to save him and bring him out onto the battle field ("summon" him). The fact that you draw up to a full hand every round seems easy, until you realize it's often folly to bring out every single card in your hand on your turn and leave yourself no cards to use in edge battles when your opponent goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you imagine that the cards are still available and will be for long enough to gradually catch up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
They have announced the next cycle of cards which will be released until the end of this year if not into early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that they are going forward with more new cards but con cerned about older card sets remaining available for a while longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had zero problems finding the base game or expansions, for the most part. The big-box expansions, in particular, are easy to get at retail. Second hand market is very plentiful too, with fair prices. Some of the older cycles, like Hoth, are maybe a little harder to come by, but far from impossible and still reasonably priced.

I would encourage you to search the Geek marketplace, and also retailers like Amazon, see for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not interested in joining the competitive scene, start with a core set and the Edge of Darkness box - preferably two of each if you can afford it. The core gives you cards for Jedi, Rebels, Sith and Imperial Navy, and Edge of Darkness adds a third faction to each side - Smugglers and Spies for the light, Scum and Villainy for the dark. Those products contain only one copy of each objective set, and you're allowed to use two copies of each set, which is why you'd want two of each.

If, after buying that and playing, you're having fun, you could do worse than pick up deluxe boxes for your favorite factions - Behind the Shadows Between the Shadows has cards for Jedi and Scum, Imperial Entanglements has cards for Navy and Smugglers, and the newest one, Galactic Ambitions, has cards for Rebels and Sith. One copy of a box is enough - every product except the core and Edge of Darkness contains a full playset of everything.

If you're only going to be playing 2-player, you can skip the Balance of the Force box entirely - it's mainly geared towards multiplayer, and the few sets from it that you're even allowed to use in 2-player don't justify the cost.

After you've got the boxes you're interested would be a good time to start buying Force packs. Each cycle has a sort of a common theme, and sometimes some new mechanisms, so it's probably better to get all packs of one cycle before going to another cycle, but there's no need to buy cycles in order. As for the Hoth cycle (that's the very first one), if you were going for competitive play, I'd tell you to skip it entirely - it's by far the weakest one, and is going to rotate out in the not too distant future. I don't do casual play much, but even if I did, I think I still wouldn't use Hoth cards often, so I think you're definitely okay not grabbing that cycle first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Every deluxe (and two of Edge of Darkness) fills in the factions nicely. If you want the Hoth cycle Book Depository still have packs from the earlier bunch. Cheap too.

I have a pair of cores+EoD, three deluxe boxes and my massive collection of FOUR force packs. It's already looking like too many cards to wrap my head around, so every deluxe and a couple of the most recent cycles should last you forever casually

TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Behind the Shadows

"Between the Shadows", for those copying and pasting into a search box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
If you're not interested in joining the competitive scene, start with a core set and the Edge of Darkness box - preferably two of each if you can afford it. The core gives you cards for Jedi, Rebels, Sith and Imperial Navy, and Edge of Darkness adds a third faction to each side - Smugglers and Spies for the light, Scum and Villainy for the dark. Those products contain only one copy of each objective set, and you're allowed to use two copies of each set, which is why you'd want two of each.

If, after buying that and playing, you're having fun, you could do worse than pick up deluxe boxes for your favorite factions - Behind the Shadows has cards for Jedi and Scum, Imperial Entanglements has cards for Navy and Smugglers, and the newest one, Galactic Ambitions, has cards for Rebels and Sith. One copy of a box is enough - every product except the core and Edge of Darkness contains a full playset of everything.

If you're only going to be playing 2-player, you can skip the Balance of the Force box entirely - it's mainly geared towards multiplayer, and the few sets from it that you're even allowed to use in 2-player don't justify the cost.

After you've got the boxes you're interested would be a good time to start buying Force packs. Each cycle has a sort of a common theme, and sometimes some new mechanisms, so it's probably better to get all packs of one cycle before going to another cycle, but there's no need to buy cycles in order. As for the Hoth cycle (that's the very first one), if you were going for competitive play, I'd tell you to skip it entirely - it's by far the weakest one, and is going to rotate out in the not too distant future. I don't do casual play much, but even if I did, I think I still wouldn't use Hoth cards often, so I think you're definitely okay not grabbing that cycle first.

That is some great info and advice. I would be playing almost exclusively 2 player and not in any intense competitive environment. So I might not initially get 2 boxes of anything but might eventually go that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Behind the Shadows

"Between the Shadows", for those copying and pasting into a search box

Yikes. How did that happen. Thanks for the correction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who replied and helped convince me. I traded some things I wasn't playing and now have 3 core sets coming, 1 Edge of Darkness and the Hoth cycle of packs. If I have as much fun as I think I will, I'll be adding a second Edge of Darkness soon and then buy my way deeper into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Thanks to everyone who replied and helped convince me. I traded some things I wasn't playing and now have 3 core sets coming, 1 Edge of Darkness and the Hoth cycle of packs. If I have as much fun as I think I will, I'll be adding a second Edge of Darkness soon and then buy my way deeper into this.

3 cores? You only ever need 2 (unless, of course, you plan on losing or damaging your cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
rickert wrote:

3 cores? You only ever need 2 (unless, of course, you plan on losing or damaging your cards).

With my fiancee and both playing I thought either of us might want to put multiples of certain objectives in decks and have multiple decks constructed and ready to play. Plus I made a trade for one core set and then made a package deal that included everything else that I mentioned so I jumped at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.