GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Will the base game be needed if there is ever an expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to get rid of the big game box after we played enough but I would like to play an expansion some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
Just guessing here

When (not if) he makes an expansion, I would expect new:

* Classes
* Scenarios
* Items
* Gameboard
* Monsters

But would expect he will still use the old:

* Map Tiles (well, he might add some new ones, but no doubt will re-use the old ones)
* Combat Decks
* Monsters (although hopefully he will mostly use new types, I would expect that Bandits are everywhere!!)

In other words, I think that the base game will be needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
amanwing wrote:
I would like to get rid of the big game box after we played enough but I would like to play an expansion some time.

What? How do we know something that's so far in the future and even if we come to some conclusion here, this would never be 100% sure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Scott
msg tools
Sorry, Still Hairy not Crystal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
One would expect that if it is called an expansion it would require the base game. If the base game weren't to be needed one would expect it to be a sequel or another game entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect they'd just include the whole base game in with the expansion. It surely wouldn't add much to the cost...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
One would expect that if it is called an expansion it would require the base game. If the base game weren't to be needed one would expect it to be a sequel or another game entirely.

well, "stand-alone expansion" is not a weird expression.

i would prefer something like that. a game playable by itself, but with elements compatible with gloomhaven.

anyway... this is talk for the sake of talking. i'm sure Isaac has his own planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd be happy to see a second base game at that point, with maybe some crossover scenarios available.

Allow players to mix & match heroes from the two base games, but otherwise make the new game function as a standalone product. I believe from what i have been told that expansions sell relatively poorly compared to base games, but that new base games don't have that problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy_K wrote:
I expect they'd just include the whole base game in with the expansion. It surely wouldn't add much to the cost...

Wait - didn't Isaac already do that?

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Andy_K wrote:

Or size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 95% sure that the expansion that isaac is planning (since december) will probably use many materials from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
I am 95% sure that the expansion that isaac is planning (since december) will probably use many materials from the base game.

And that makes the most sense, especially if it expands on the story. I would prefer he use the base game materials for whatever is viable and then add what is new with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
Hard to say if I'd rather see a new game/expansion in the same universe or, say, a different theme using the same mechanics.

Or maybe just both.

A sci-fi/futuristic/post-apocalyptic take on these mechanics would be awesome to see as well as more content in the Gloomhaven universe.

I doubt even Isaac knows yet if any potential future Gloomhaven content would be standalone or not. Let's face it, though - whatever it ends up being, we'll all buy it.

I'd just keep hold of the base game regardless - it's not running out of content anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no possible way of knowing, but it'd be pretty crazy to do a standalone expansion for a game of this size I think. You'd have to basically duplicate so much stuff, and you'd lose access to all the core game monsters you didn't duplicate. It'd make sense if the setting were sufficiently different, but that wouldn't really be an expansion IMO.

Personally, I don't see a GH expansion without skeletons in it, and I don't see Isaac making us buy new skeleton standies. But if Isaac's crazy enough to make this game in the first place who knows, anything could happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
You will definitely need many components from the base game, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Even if it's a couple years out, it would be great for him to throw that up on the current Kickstarter as an add-on. I'd grab it immediately!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.