GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: POLL: Which enemy trait or ability do you find the most frustrating, and why? Possible Spoilers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which enemy trait or ability do you find the most frustrating?
Push/Pull
Multiple target/AOE
Multiple attack
High Range
Laying Traps
Low Initiative Deck
Flying
High Damage
High Health
High movement value
High shield value
Retaliate
Duplicating/Summoning
Healing
Attackers at Disadvantage
Attacks with Advantage
Immunity to conditions
Wounding
Poisoning
Blessing
Cursing
Immobilize
Muddle
Disarm
Stun
Turn Invisible
Consume Elements
      179 answers
Poll created by ebridge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: POLL: Which enemy trait or ability do you find the most frustrating? Feel free to explain why.
Cursing...by far. Everything else you can somewhat plan for. Curses just pop out of your deck randomly, which for me means whenever I have a critical attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Williams
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: POLL: Which enemy trait or ability do you find the most frustrating? Feel free to explain why.
Picked flying. I really enjoy manipulating enemies into traps and hazardous terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Goddamn Shield b!†©hm0†h∑®fµ©k∑®s! That stupid Flame Demon is the bane of my existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shield. If you don't have a class with good anti-shield-skills, you are in big trouble.
Close contender: poison, especially on swarm monsters (i.e. many otherwise individually weak monsters, each of the triggering the poison bonus or re-poisoning...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack. Every monster seems to have it. Without it, the game would be muuuuch easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why the trait "instanta-self-destruct" did not make it through playtesting - would have helped a lot

On a side note: Personally, I do not care, but there are lot of traits listed on the list above that could be considered spoilers - I haven't seen quite a few of them with about nine games in. So you might want to consider "spoiler-protceting" your poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Everything can be mitigated pretty well but to me its high shields. Unless you plan specifically for it, it can be really annoying. BUT if you do plan for it with the right items and cards those enemies are like paper mache.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Invisibilty, without a doubt. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does it's just ruinous. I really don't care much for that mechanic, either on players or monsters -- being invisible shouldn't mean that you get to do everything you normally do plus also being invulnerable to effectively all forms of non-retaliate damage and effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierce. Which isn't listed. Pierce is super annoying.
High Shield value can be annoying, but most classes have some way to deal with it, eventually, and there's a reason that Piercing Bow is a Prosperity 1 unlock...

Out of the ones that are listed, a high range value is chief among reasons we fail scenarios. If the ranged characters can sit back safely and plink while melee move in... Gonna have a bad time. Even worse if they also do some effect off of every attack, but a melee Poison is much easier to deal with than a ranged Poison.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
And there's an enemy type that comes in swarms, poisons, AND is ranged. They suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Duplication (on one particular monster). It's really annoying to actually resolve the effect, especially when it happens multiple turns in a row. When that particular foe is in the game we often run out of damage tokens, and spend more of the play time duplicating it than playing.

Close second is high shield, because the existence of it demands that you have pierce or wound in your team, somehow. As we play 2p, this has a signifiant impact on our available strategic space. If a class only has one wound or pierce effect, we have to pick that card (otherwise we have to get equipment that covers the gap). Shield is the only trait that has this effect on high level strategy, others can be addressed in multiple ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
Duplication (on one particular monster). It's really annoying to actually resolve the effect, especially when it happens multiple turns in a row. When that particular foe is in the game we often run out of damage tokens, and spend more of the play time duplicating it than playing.

Close second is high shield, because the existence of it demands that you have pierce or wound in your team, somehow. As we play 2p, this has a signifiant impact on our available strategic space. If a class only has one wound or pierce effect, we have to pick that card (otherwise we have to get equipment that covers the gap). Shield is the only trait that has this effect on high level strategy, others can be addressed in multiple ways.

Well, you can Poison, or just focus on high damage attacks as well. There are still several ways to deal with Shields. I really don't mind them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:
Pierce. Which isn't listed. Pierce is super annoying.
High Shield value can be annoying, but most classes have some way to deal with it, eventually, and there's a reason that Piercing Bow is a Prosperity 1 unlock...

Out of the ones that are listed, a high range value is chief among reasons we fail scenarios. If the ranged characters can sit back safely and plink while melee move in... Gonna have a bad time. Even worse if they also do some effect off of every attack, but a melee Poison is much easier to deal with than a ranged Poison.

And there's an enemy type that comes in swarms, poisons, AND is ranged. They suck.

Oops! I knew I would forget at least one. Sorry about that. I need to play more classes with shield and heavy armor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:

This. I hate seeing the aforementioned monster type in a scenario, not because they're particularly difficult, but because they tend to draaaaaag out the scenario length.

High shield enemies are my 2nd choice, although I think the effect it has on you tends to vary significantly with party makeup. My current group has a lot of direct damage or retaliate effects, which means we can deal with them pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano Fish
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh my god I read through that list and kept thinking "oh that one!....oh no no no its' THAT one! Wait, oh mAn thaaaat one is the worst"

gah! basically they all suck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shields, high ones, low ones, any of them! Nothing worse than needing (X) points to kill something and it shields off the last point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
Candi wrote:

This. I hate seeing the aforementioned monster type in a scenario, not because they're particularly difficult, but because they tend to draaaaaag out the scenario length.

High shield enemies are my 2nd choice, although I think the effect it has on you tends to vary significantly with party makeup. My current group has a lot of direct damage or retaliate effects, which means we can deal with them pretty easily.

Here's my solution for that:

I like to get them down to 2 HP and then leave them to self destruct before they can split

However, I picked Immobilize. Nothing worse than planning out your actions and then having a monster with lower initiative immobilize you and ruin your high-damage, high-XP generating, WOW moment because you can't get to your intended target. Thank goodness we don't have to choose the top/bottom combo until it's our turn to act...sometimes you can at least salvage your turn even if it ends up being an inferior combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Man
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I voted duplicate/summoning, partly for aforementioned time it takes. We played a scenario last night with duplicaters and it took us four hours... to lose. So, we have to do that thing again. I don't think anyone is anxious to retry it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Summoning/Duplication is probably the most annoying IME, since it can be both time consuming to handle and can severely punish a bad set up when those enemies appear.

Playing as the Cragheart, flying was maybe the second most annoying thing, since it rendered a lot of its battlefield control irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted Shield but my 2nd choice would be Poison. Especially in scenarios with lots of poisoning enemies, the extra point of damage and more importantly, the sorta negation of heals is HUGE.

Maybe Poison is actually worse than high shield, because most high shield monsters have lower health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelly54 wrote:
Sassycat wrote:
Candi wrote:

Here's my solution for that:

I like to get them down to 2 HP and then leave them to self destruct before they can split

However, I picked Immobilize. Nothing worse than planning out your actions and then having a monster with lower initiative immobilize you and ruin your high-damage, high-XP generating, WOW moment because you can't get to your intended target. Thank goodness we don't have to choose the top/bottom combo until it's our turn to act...sometimes you can at least salvage your turn even if it ends up being an inferior combo.

That is the most efficient way to deal with them, I think. But it still tends to take much longer than other enemy types. I think next time I encounter them, I'll try coordinating a bunch of Stun with my party members to try and cut them off early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Roe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The few times I've actually been furious with a monster ability was when my Brute was IMMOBILIZED. This is maddening. The Brute can really deal some damage in combination with movement, and to have that all planned out and then have a monster say, "nope," is just...

Shields are difficult but at least you can plan more for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Dreams
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's close between high shield and summoning, but high shield has never cost me the game, but summoning absolutely has dunked me into the ground every time we've lost except once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OP here. Wish I could change my vote now. I voted high shields, because I previously felt that Fire Demons were the most annoying enemy in game.

But now I realize that EVERY game that we have lost now had Oozes who were duplicating like crazy. Seriously, I'm at the point now where if there are ever 8 Oozes on the board at one time in a 2 player game, we should just pack it up and quit, because we're just playing for loot and XP at that point. Unless you happen to have classes with big AOE attacks, you just can't kill them fast enough because of their dumb HEAL card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After we fought Oozes the first time, we didn't even know they had a Heal card.

We've never lost to Oozes.

We've lost twice to Flame Demons.

Twice to scenario rules causing... issues. (Scenario 38. You know what you did.) It wasn't related to any stat line the monsters had, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.