GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,978 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
88 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Unfair» Forums » General

Subject: So what do we know about the expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Unfair has been a big hit in my group. We played a bunch of times, and people keep asking for it (despite a damaged board and miscut cards in my copy). Which is surprising considering my group's Euro tendencies, but I digress.

The one aspect that we have enjoyed the most so far is how different it feels with different packs. So far we've mostly played with 4 players, so that limits the variety in games, and yet it felt so different when we subbed in a single deck for another.

So the questions are:

-When is the expansion expected? I think they said it was in the works, and that is made even more obvious from the large amount of promo cards included in the Kickstarter. Anybody knows if it's soonish, printed at the same time as the replacements, or later?

-How will it be distributed? I think I grasped a comment somewhere that said it wouldn't be a Kickstarter in May. So does that mean a Kickstarter but later? Or not a Kickstarter but available in May? Or neither?

-Can we expect all the presented factions in promos? Or only a select few at a time?

-What else do we know that might have slipped by my eyes?

So color me intrigued, as for me the main attraction of the game is its different feel with different combinations, so that makes me crave for more rather sooner than later, compared to other games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much everything known is here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213147/unfair-theme-packs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Mesa
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
They said somewhere on twitter that it may not be till next year, but I doubt it will be that long if the game does well in retail. I'm thinking sometime during September or October? Just a guess

As for the theme packs i'm 100% sure the western pack is going to be among the first releases because it's been teased so heavily. Pretty sure they said each expansion is going to have multiple theme packs but I don't think it will be all of the promo ones at once. But i'm expecting the first expansion to have western and possibly the alien pack as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they confirmed Western is furthest along. They seem to be having a lot of fun with the new Intelligence related one too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that have a lot of development quickly.

Work always goes faster when you're having fun with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think there was actually an Intelligence one (yet), those were just espionage-related promo cards for the Secret Cabal fundraiser or something. Although if it's like the other promo cards they WOULD just be copies of something that would show up in later packs. So who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be mis-remembering but was there mention of a full Western PnP? That'd be nice to tide over some of the wait for expansions whistle laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
By way of obvious misdirection, let me just say that the only promo cards to date are Gen Con and the Playtester. The others are all technically sneak peeks, including the Secret Cabal cards... but I can assure you there will never be an Intelligence theme pack in Unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
I can assure you there will never be an Intelligence theme pack in Unfair.

Indeed it has been announced there will be no 'I' theme in Unfair. It does not exist and will never do so.

Period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
kbrebach wrote:
joelfinch wrote:
I can assure you there will never be an Intelligence theme pack in Unfair.

Indeed it has been announced there will be no 'I' theme in Unfair. It does not exist and will never do so.

Period.

the only word i can think of now is "insincere"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAKE NEWS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wrigley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know that a certain thing staring with "I"doesn't exist. No amount of tinfoil headwear will change that fact. Nothing to see here, move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Finch
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Like this tin foil headwear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
note that we did this quote from Joel yesterday
joelfinch wrote:
I expect that at least the first expansion will fit in the existing box even with sleeved cards, though the leftover sneak-peek cards may need to be tucked in the central slot.

which would indicate that the expansion will be four decks.
Let the guessing beginning for which 4

I think Western and Alien are a lock. My hope is for Dinosaur but that seems iffy. The mysterious I-thet-doesn't-exist is a good candidate given the efforts to suppress it lately. I do believe Hacker is the other pack that Joel & Co have been playing with in tests
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to type a big thing but I agreed with everything you said.

So, just read the comment above mine a second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
joelfinch wrote:
I expect that at least the first expansion will fit in the existing box even with sleeved cards, though the leftover sneak-peek cards may need to be tucked in the central slot.

I think Western and Alien are a lock. My hope is for Dinosaur but that seems iffy. The mysterious I-thet-doesn't-exist is a good candidate given the efforts to suppress it lately. I do believe Hacker is the other pack that Joel & Co have been playing with in tests

Notice Joel's quote begins with the letter 'I', which instantly shows that it is a ludicrous conspiracy theory!

Honestly we have not decided on the number of themes per expansion yet. It may depend a little on how the base game goes, and many other factors like shelf location next to the main game and other things like expansion fatigue. But 2 and 4 themes per expansion are the most likely.

Obviously you guys are fanatics who will likely buy anything Unfair... but I'd be interested in your views about whether you prefer more regular 2 pack expansions or less regular 4 pack expansions... I'm hearing a lot of pros and cons either way.

But certainly we made the core box have enough slots to fill out the first expansion or 2.

We are considering a big box option later if expansions are successful enough to warrant it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. My thoughts are:

For packs of 2... selfishly, I think this fits in more with how frequently we play. We play a lot, so I think by the time we were hitting the point where the new packs were becoming predictable there'd probably be 2 more coming soon. I also figure plenty of people who aren't in love with the game but do like it may pick up at least the first 2 packs this way, just to see. So you might have an easier time pushing volume on the first few packs. However there is a lot more waste (and monetary waste from both manufacturer and consumer ends) this way with shipping, packaging, etc.

Packs of 4... people will probably view this as more content for your dollar. Plus it may be good to stagger the releases like this so people who aren't playing every day don't feel like they have to constantly upgrade their game. It looks like Cosmic Encounter released an expansion once a year for several years and I feel like people received that schedule well. I do suppose though, that people may have to like the game more to pick up a "pack of 4" than a couple packs of 2? Hard to say.

Generally speaking I think I'd prefer more frequent Packs of 2, but I think the better move sales-wise would likely be Packs of 4. People won't have to pay as much shipping, and environmentally there's less waste. Plus people will probably see it as greater value for their money "Wow four new themes for one purchase! That's almost a whole new base game!"

Of course a mixed approach might be good too. Especially if you ever did themes outside the alphabet. Like, for example... a promotional dual pack with Halloween and Christmas whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-F Audy
Canada
Chambly
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I prefer smaller expansions, preferably with themes that are quite different. This way it will be easier to get new cards without paying as much as the base game each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Smith
msg tools
Faster but smaller expansions(2) until the base box is filled then you can slow it down to a 4 block expansion with a new box. After that fast and smaller to fill it up. Rinse, Repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
joelfinch wrote:

Western and Alien do seem like they are on the up and up. I guess you'd expect the 6 that we already got teasers for to be in the box sooner, but I'm actually hoping to see Time Travel and Egyptian move up the order, as both hold a ton of appeal for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, I'm surprised to find myself in the minority... I definitely would prefer 4 packs per expansion than 2. Four packs feel like they make a big impact... you can even play a four player game up front with all new decks, so it really feels like something new. 2 packs just feels more like not so much has been added.

Perhaps I would feel differently about future packs if the first pack was 4 decks. At that point, there's going to be a good amount of variance from game to game even when playing with 4, and after that point 2 packs.... it's probably more a matter of me feeling a little thin on the ground with only 6 packs so far.

So, having thought this through carefully... I guess I like the idea of 2 pack expansions, but with the first two expansions releasing at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The question of whether to have 2 pack expansions or 4 pack expansions is an interesting one.

First of all one has to consider that each time the base game receives a print run only so many copies can be printed. Granted a near endless amount could be printed sure but the publisher has to be realistic. At this point you have to figure out how quickly each print run sells out. If each print run sells out quickly then perhaps you do regular 2 pack expansions timely released with each new print run but if your print runs don't sell out so quickly then maybe you do 4 pack expansions.

As noted both have their pros and cons though. Doing 4 pack expansions can help avoid what might feel like expansion fatigue but if the release between 4 pack expansions becomes too long then you risk maintaining peoples' interest in the game.

It doesn't sound like they would be but another thing to consider is whether these theme pack expansions would be kickstarted or not.

Going with 2 or 4 pack expansions doesn't solve the other inevitable issue and that is storage. Once a 5th theme pack expansion would be released then additional storage would be required otherwise what are people to do.

Taking this issue into account, going with 2 pack expansions might make this issue feel like it is a fast approaching one. Going with 4 pack expansions though might delay this inevitable feeling but also it might be easier to bundle additional storage with a 4 pack expansion versus a 2 pack expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
My vote would be for the first expansion to be 4 themes and then switch to 2 theme expansion packs after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmb
My personal preference would be for expansions of two decks. For the following reasons:

- they will be less expensive, and can be purchased on a whim.
- I am not a completionist, I anticipate that I will likely buy many of the expansions, but not possibly all. I know this may not be what you want to hear having regard to your business model, but I'm likely to look at individual expansions and consider whether the themes seems cool before buying the expansion. Without in any way prejudging your price point, If it is two decks for $24.00 and I am not sold on one of the decks 50% I'd probably get it anyway. If it was 4 for $45.00 and two 50% did not grab me I'd give it a miss.
- I bought two copies of unfair and provided one as a gift to family. I have friends who also own a copy, different expansions are ways to customise our sets, I can buy expansions for me, and buy different expansions as gifts for them. That way we can have a different game experience at their home than we do at ours.
- There are 4 empty slots. I don't necessarily want to fill those in one hit, I want at least the illusion of a slow chosen considered expansion.

Unfair is a game that rewards multiple plays.
We know from reviews and these forums that there is a small percentage of players who see only the take that, and don't have the patience to explore the games potential. They won't be buying expansions anyway.

Beyond them though the game appears to have been very well received.

I would expect and hope that that will continue to be the pattern in retain and there will continue to be enough support for expansions moving forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I'm interested in - how much do people think theme will factor into their interest in a new pack, and how much the mechanical differences?

We're working hard to make each pack add something unique to the game each time, so that there's a noticeable change in the feel of how it plays when that pack is used, beyond "just" new ride names and artwork, so from that point of view, I'm certainly aiming for there to be no dud packs.

If there's a strong mechanical addition, but the theme is Zombies, say, and you're meh about Zombies, will the new mechanism win out, or the theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
Something I'm interested in - how much do people think theme will factor into their interest in a new pack, and how much the mechanical differences?

We're working hard to make each pack add something unique to the game each time, so that there's a noticeable change in the feel of how it plays when that pack is used, beyond "just" new ride names and artwork, so from that point of view, I'm certainly aiming for there to be no dud packs.

If there's a strong mechanical addition, but the theme is Zombies, say, and you're meh about Zombies, will the new mechanism win out, or the theme?

I think my initial reaction will be based on the theme but my review will be based on mechanics. I'm meh on Zombies as a theme, but if it adds a neat new way to play, then I'm ok with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.