GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing Multiplayer without Milestones or Awards - Shorter and Simpler? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremie Bergeron
Canada
Okanagan Falls
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, in a effort to simplify and shorten the game a bit, I've played my first three games without milestones or awards. This also shortens the teaching and playing time quite a bit since it's one less thing for each player to worry about, especially when learning the game.

Has anyone else tried this? It seems like they definitely add some complexity and strategy to the game, but to play a simpler quicker version you can just omit them. I still have yet to play a game with them. I try hard to keep our games to 2 hours or less (which they have been every time!) since more than 2 hours gets difficult due to real life

Maybe it could be compared to playing RFTG (which I'ved played a lot) without including the goals.

Now if the general consensus is that they are invaluable and omitting milestones and awards highly affects the enjoyment of the game, then I will have to make sure to incorporate them into my next play-though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they are "invaluable" but they definitely give players something to shoot for in the early and late game.

I just don't think that removing them removes any amount play time other than the actions players use to claim/fund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Dan....they aren't "invaluable", but they just give players something to aim for in the game.

I also don't believe that removing them will shorten the game at all. Like you mention, it might shorten your teaching (just a few less things to explain), but actually game play will most likely be unaffected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would probably shorten teaching 3-5 minutes including reminders of how they work during play, and a few minutes in game as people claim them. It would also remove 30-36 Victory points from the game (assuming all awarded and funded).

Personally I wouldn't remove them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Next Game Please
England
Frome
Somerset
flag msg tools
Find a Friend
badge
Next Game Please
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try copying the solo game and limiting the rounds to 20. Then, like CO2, if the three goals are not achieved, everyone has lost- time has run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I teach the game to a group of new players, I play 1-2 generations before I explain about Milestones and Awards.

I agree it's a lot to take in from the beginning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandra P
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've just played our third session. We play with our 8 years old son, so to make it easier for him, we've chosen to play without awards, but we still use milestones. Milestones are easy to grasp, benefit from awards is IMO trickier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishticuffs wrote:
You could try copying the solo game and limiting the rounds to 20. Then, like CO2, if the three goals are not achieved, everyone has lost- time has run out.

20? How many generations are your games taking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
Fishticuffs wrote:

My first thought as well. I doubt our games last longer than a 10-12 turns at the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tellerium wrote:
jeff0 wrote:
Fishticuffs wrote:

My first thought as well. I doubt our games last longer than a 10-12 turns at the most.

I played this co-op with my wife as an interesting exercise. Obviously this plays differently to versus as we're racing to terraform and not to get the most points. This only took us 12 turns playing quite inefficiently, but just for the experience. I can't see how it's possibly for a game to ever get to 20 rounds as the more players in it, the faster Mars is 'done'. Obviously engine speed means an extra going from 2 to 3 players doesn't reduce the time to complete by 33%, but it's a huge change each time on number of rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player advanced start and then you both spend the time building the engine instead or racing the terraforming, we would average 18 generations playing that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.