Popular Tags: [View All]
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
How you view the world says nothing about the world, and everything about you.
badge
I had a fox instead of a teddy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of changes and rebalances we are introducing in our version of Brass: Lancashire.

Changes to the components:

level 1 cotton mills changed from 3 to 5 points

After analyzing data from orderofthehammer.com that building lvl 1 cotton mills is strongly correlated with losing. We have thus increased the points moderately. We still feel that a player should almost never play a level 1 cotton mill as the return is so poor, but now believe that there are at least edge cases where it is now a viable play.

2 cards removed from the deck (one coal and one cotton)

To make setting up the rail phase simpler, and to reduce some edge cases where players can be unwittingly helped or hindered by the random cards that were removed.

Virtual link between Birkenhead and Liverpool removed

From another thread:

Quote:
Hi folks,

Who would have thought that an edge case rule in a game published years ago on a rather obscure theme would generate such a discussion.

I would like to make it clear that I am 100% in favour of this change. I have complete confidence in Roxley to develop the game as they see fit. Originally the rule was included to deal with a situation which we thought might crop up occasionally. Now with many thousands of logged plays it seems to be the case that the rule is hardly ever applied.

Although this may be hard to believe but I do try to simplify my designs as much as possible. I think removing a rule that has almost zero impact on the game and which makes it that little easier to teach is a bit of a ‘no-brainer’. I’m sure that my opinion on this will probably solicit more replies, some of which may be rather critical. My suggestion is to just relax, its only a game.

Many thanks to all of those folks who have pledged so far.

Martin Wallace

Two player support added

Through playtesting we discovered that limiting the location cards in the deck has a similar effect on the game as limiting the board itself, and that the only times it is not the same, it's an interesting decision point.

To play the new two player rules with an old copy of Brass and see for yourself:

2 player rules

Play with a modified deck
Birkenhead x2
Blackburn x2
Boltoln x2
Bury x1
Ellesmere Port x1
Liverpool x3
Manchester x4
Oldham x2
Preston x3
Rochdale x2
Stockport x2
Warrington & Runcorn x2
Wigan x2
Iron x3
Coal x4
Port x2
Shipyard x3

Start with 25 pounds

Distant market
Play WITH the following tiles: 0,1,2,2,3,4
Start with the demand marker one space lower on the demand track. (as if a 1 had already flipped)

Remove 2 cards from the deck during the canal period

3 player rules

Play with a modified deck
Barrow-in-Furness x2
Birkenhead x2
Blackburn x2
Bolton x2
Burnley x2
Bury x1
Ellesmere Port x1
Fleetwood x1
Lancaster x3
Liverpool x3
Manchester x4
Oldham x2
Preston x2
Rochdale x2
Stockport x2
Warrington & Runcorn x2
Cotton x5
Wigan x2
Iron x3
Coal x4
Port x4
Shipyard x3

Distant market
Start with the demand marker one space lower on the demand track. (as if a 1 had already flipped)

Remove 3 cards from the deck during the canal phase

edit: 2 cotton added to 3p, removed liverpool and preston
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite game is Gaia Project
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for posting this.

mopeymatt wrote:

To make setting up the rail phase simpler, and to reduce some edge cases where players can be unwittingly helped or hindered by the random cards that were removed.

So there is no removing of two random cards, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thumbs up. And this is going to save you so much stress meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
max bredow wrote:
Cool, thanks for posting this.

mopeymatt wrote:

So there is no removing of two random cards, right?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark von Minden
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there changes to the map? I'm far from a Brass expert, but I see a couple differences from the image on the KS page & the original map:

- Lancaster Mill/Port is now an Ironworks.
- No rail link between W&R and Liverpool.

Wasn't sure if those changes were intentional or mistakes. Apologies if these have been discussed elsewhere already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gómez
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Aquí irá una frase ingeniosa
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is really helpful to understand your changes, thanks. I hope to play your two players​ solution tomorrow.

Will cards have setup information? Something like a small 3 or 4 to note which cards to use in 2, 3, 4 player games. Distant market tiles also should have this setup information​.

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Membrillo wrote:
This post is really helpful to understand your changes, thanks. I hope to play your two players​ solution tomorrow.

Will cards have setup information? Something like a small 3 or 4 to note which cards to use in 2, 3, 4 player games. Distant market tiles also should have this setup information​.

Yes, this is easily seen on the bottom right corner of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrkvm wrote:
Are there changes to the map? I'm far from a Brass expert, but I see a couple differences from the image on the KS page & the original map:

Wasn't sure if those changes were intentional or mistakes. Apologies if these have been discussed elsewhere already.

These seem important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrkvm wrote:

It has been discussed elsewhere, but I think it will help others to see the answer here. :)

We are aware of those and they have already been updated in the current file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is end game money officially worth points in this edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
lsamadi wrote:
It'd better not be, and would clearly have said so here as it would have been a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rastislav Bodi
Slovakia
flag msg tools
The 7 Stages of a Board Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mopeymatt wrote:
Membrillo wrote:

Yes, this is easily seen on the bottom right corner of the cards.

Should this be visible on the KS page "Whats in the box" graphics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
lsamadi wrote:
It'd better not be, and would clearly have said so here as it would have been a change.

Did I miss something?

To my knowledge, end game money has always worthed points (1VP/10£).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gómez
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Aquí irá una frase ingeniosa
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
mopeymatt wrote:

Two player support added

Through playtesting we discovered that limiting the location cards in the deck has a similar effect on the game as limiting the board itself, and that the only times it is not the same, it's an interesting decision point.

To play the new two player rules with an old copy of Brass and see for yourself:

Each player starts with $25

Play with a deck consisting of the following cards:
Card: Number:
Cotton 6
coal 4
Port 4
Iron 2
shipyardl 2
Blackburn 2
Burnley 2
Bolton 2
Bury 1
Colne 2
Fleetwood 1
Barrow-in-Furn 2
Lancaster 2
Liverpool 3
Manchester 2
Wigan 1
Preston 2

Remove 0, 0, -1, and -3 tiles from the distant market tiles.

All other rules are the same as the base game, including our changes to the components listed above.

Hi Matt,

I would like to test your 2 player version tomorrow. I've noticed that card distribution is slightly different from Harju's variant (total number of cards remains the same), see below:

Cotton 5
coal 4
Port 3
Iron 2
shipyard 1
Blackburn 2
Burnley 2
Bolton 2
Bury 1
Colne 2
Fleetwood 1
Barrow-in-F 2
Lancaster 2
Liverpool 3
Manchester 3
Wigan 1
Preston 2
Warr & Runc 2

Since your version does not cover any location, I understand that you may needed to change card distribution. I'm OK with that. Although I noticed that you removed all Warrington & Runcorn cards. Just to double check before playing tomorrow.

At the beginning of the canal period we should remove 2 cards randomly from the deck, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
lsamadi wrote:

Did I miss something?

To my knowledge, end game money has always worthed points (1VP/10£).

Never mind...my bad. All these years I could never ever find it in the rulebook. And NOW I just found it. LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who tests the new 2P rules -- please report back to the thread regarding how well it works compared to the unofficial variant everyone uses today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of similarities between this and the other 2p variant.

Notably, you're removing Warrington & Runcorn cards in order to give us some extra industry cards.

The missing Rochdale, Oldham, Stockport, Birkenhead, and other southern cities are common in both variants.

I can see what they mean by not blocking off any cities from the board.
It looks like we're welcome to build in places like Rochdale, W&C, Stockport, and even W&R, but we will only do so with an industry card and neighboring influence.

I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Membrillo wrote:
mopeymatt wrote:

Two player support added

Each player starts with $25

Play with a deck consisting of the following cards:
Card: Number:
Cotton 6
coal 4
Port 4
Iron 2
shipyardl 2
Blackburn 2
Burnley 2
Bolton 2
Bury 1
Colne 2
Fleetwood 1
Barrow-in-Furn 2
Lancaster 2
Liverpool 3
Manchester 2
Wigan 1
Preston 2

Remove 0, 0, -1, and -3 tiles from the distant market tiles.

All other rules are the same as the base game, including our changes to the components listed above.

Hi Matt,

I would like to test your 2 player version tomorrow. I've noticed that card distribution is slightly different from Harju's variant (total number of cards remains the same), see below:

Cotton 5
coal 4
Port 3
Iron 2
shipyard 1
Blackburn 2
Burnley 2
Bolton 2
Bury 1
Colne 2
Fleetwood 1
Barrow-in-F 2
Lancaster 2
Liverpool 3
Manchester 3
Wigan 1
Preston 2
Warr & Runc 2

Since your version does not cover any location, I understand that you may needed to change card distribution. I'm OK with that. Although I noticed that you removed all Warrington & Runcorn cards. Just to double check before playing tomorrow.

At the beginning of the canal period we should remove 2 cards randomly from the deck, right?

Correct. Remove 2 for the canal phase, it's been many months since we decided on that distribution, and we are open to fine tuning it further. Thanks for giving it a spin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mopeymatt wrote:
No other changes to the base game rules

Considering what has been said in another thread, this wording - and the list as a consequence - is very confusing.
Here you are NOT listing the differences with the current rulebook. You are listing the differences with the current 4p rules. Which is not the same.
For instance, under Roxley's version the 3p game lasts 8 rounds per era. While in the current game, a 3p last 10 rounds per era.

Could you please list the differences with the current rulebook instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
mopeymatt wrote:
No other changes to the base game rules

Considering what has been said in another thread, this wording - and the list as a consequence - is very confusing.
Here you are NOT listing the differences with the current rulebook. You are listing the differences with the current 4p rules. Which is not the same.
For instance, under Roxley's version the 3p game lasts 8 rounds per era. While in the current game, a 3p last 10 rounds per era.

Could you please list the differences with the current rulebook instead?

In any version of the rules, you play until the deck and hands are empty. In the Roxley version, the 3p game is 9 rounds, because the deck runs and hands run out after 9 rounds. (remove 3 cards in the canal phase)

This is all we have to go on for the moment, our rules are still being edited. Sorry about the confusion!

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to your changes. I know that many people are complaining about every little nuance. You guys are doing a great job and I would imagine the majority feel that way and the rest are just a very vocal minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
You guys are doing a great job and I would imagine the majority feel that way and the rest are just a very vocal minority.

+1

You have almost 6000 backers. Don't let the very vocal minority discourage. The whining, vitriol, flame throwing, and downright trolling is coming from a few dozen. Let the actual success of the campaign be evidence of your great work.

Your patience and professionalism are also noted by me and I'm sure also by the vast majority of backers who love what you're doing and have nothing to crow about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mopeymatt wrote:
mrkvm wrote:

It has been discussed elsewhere, but I think it will help others to see the answer here.

We are aware of those and they have already been updated in the current file.

Can you comment on how much playtesting was done with these incorrect (eg mistaken Ironworks and rail link missing)? Any chance this altered play enough to matter, considering you made some changes to cards and other rules in the version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.