GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,974 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Millennium Blades: Set Rotation» Forums » General

Subject: Why I love Boss Mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, I sat down to play a solo Boss Mode session. The randomizer gave me Deques Applenti, and my opponent was randomly chosen as the TCG-lluminati.

This was my first time playing as Deques, and I was looking forward to exploiting the two Deck Box strategy. I started shopping, looking for some boxes that would mesh well in a single deck. The 7:00 mark hit, and I flipped the boss' second accessory: Lockbox. Guess who won't be getting Score effects from Deck Boxes and Accessories?!?

With a fistful of Deck Boxes with a Score effects, I had to start over. Luckily, these would make good fodder for a fusion, at least. With Ardent Box of the Underworld (from Vex), I had one non-Score RP generator. I used my ability to name Universe of Cards (from They Game From Space master pack) and set about building a rainbow deck. My accessories weren't looking great, so I brought some sleeves, a Mini Flippable Table, and a Duelist Fashion Ring.

Against the normal onslaught of TCG-lluminati Boss cards, I tried to pace my RP gain. I barely avoided Jeeves Stackson by flipping him early. My rainbow strategy was looking dicey with Kazuki in play, but I made it past him, too. I made sure to flip Ardent Box for RP, and I didn't forget Duelist Fashion Ring. After Meta, I felt pretty good about my score of 129, all things considered.

I began to tally the Boss score. Dark Card Fusion Altar was good for 30 RP, the Deck Box provided 75, and one Meta was good for 15. Missing the second Meta and Zin Master left the Boss at 120.

Who knew the game would revolve around a Duelist Fashion Ring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey, mate -

I've heard there is a turn-based variant. Can you use that in solo as well?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUR13L wrote:
Hey, mate -

I've heard there is a turn-based variant. Can you use that in solo as well?

Cheers

The turn-based variant is good for playing two-handed solo. Ultimately, you're playing against yourself, which for some is an acceptable solo experience but for others is not.

The turn-based rules require you to build a deck as you play it, in a way. You have a maximum hand size of seven cards, and that hand starts as a random draw off the top of the store deck. Ideally, your deck will play at least nine cards (6 in tableau, a deck box, and two accessories). This means you have to start playing cards (either committing them to collections, selling them, or placing them into play) before you have a full idea of what your deck will be. At some point in the turn-based game, you decide to score your tableau as if it were the end of a tournament. This is often the feel of "I've done all I can with the cards I have".

Theoretically you could play against a Boss with turn-based rules, but you'd have to come up with rules for when the boss plays cards (since the turn-based rules allow much more flexibility in that regard). Also, the Boss decks are very competitive. Generally speaking the deck you build in a 20-minute real-time phase is much better than what you cobble together during turn-based. It'd be much much harder to win against a Boss if you're building with turn-based rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmb
Got it - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.