GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: Loot question: reinforced buckler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dear gearlocs, got yesterday for patches the heavy reinforced buckler which grants you a def. die every turn without dex. Super powerful.

Did I play it correct when I used the buckler die everyturn even though the die of the buckler from last turn was still in the active slot i.e. not used? I would asume so as the card does tell me "every turn". But I am unsure as normally active def. dice can not be rolled as they are still active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barandum wrote:
Dear gearlocs, got yesterday for patches the heavy reinforced buckler which grants you a def. die every turn without dex. Super powerful.

Did I play it correct when I used the buckler die everyturn even though the die of the buckler from last turn was still in the active slot i.e. not used? I would asume so as the card does tell me "every turn". But I am unsure as normally active def. dice can not be rolled as they are still active.

I don't think you need to specify that the defence die you put in your Active slot is the Loot die or your normal defence stat. die.
Regardless I would say that you always check the number of defence dice in your Active slot and compare them with your defence stat. to see if you can roll any more defence dice.

So if you have a DEX of 3 and a DEF of 3 plus the Reinforced Buckler you could roll 4 DEF dice (3 from dex/def and one from Buckler).
If you place 2 of these dice in your Active slot as shields, you have reduced the number of possible defence dice to roll the next turn to 2 dice (one from dex/def and an extra from the Buckler)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, my question is similar. Does the buckler just allow you to roll one of your def dice without spending Dex, or does it also come with its "own" def die as well (giving you an almost-imcrease in DEF as well)?

Isn't really clear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tarod wrote:
Yep, my question is similar. Does the buckler just allow you to roll one of your def dice without spending Dex, or does it also come with its "own" def die as well (giving you an almost-imcrease in DEF as well)?

Isn't really clear...

Well the card text is crsip & clear "add a def. dice every turn (no dex)"

But it sounds too good thats why I am uncertain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wielgus
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read it literally. It's telling you to add a DEF die to your roll each turn, says nothing about taking your Def Stat into account, but we'll make a note for future clarification.

But short answer, ignore Dex and Def Stat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I have a defence stat of 0 (Tantrum yay!)

I guess I can still roll a defence from the Buckler.
But what if I have that defence in the active slot from last round? Can I roll another defence in the following round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it adds one every turn, I don't see why not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:

Yes. Your def stat or any other stat for that matter has no bearing on the die that the buckler gives you.

nobody82b wrote:

But what if I have that defence in the active slot from last round? Can I roll another defence in the following round?

I believe you would get an additional DEF die from the Buckler in this case.

The rules say that the DEF you have available each turn is determined by your DEF stat, which in your case is zero, and that the total number of Def Dice in your Active slots will reduce the available Def Dice.
I read this to only be affecting your DEF stat but I might be wrong.

Reading it literally it could be interpreted to also reduce the DEF die from the Buckler as your available DEF dice technically now are 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nusferatu wrote:
nobody82b wrote:

Yes. Your def stat or any other stat for that matter has no bearing on the die that the buckler gives you.

nobody82b wrote:

I believe you would get an additional DEF die from the Buckler in this case.

The rules say that the DEF you have available each turn is determined by your DEF stat, which in your case is zero, and that the total number of Def Dice in your Active slots will reduce the available Def Dice.
I read this to only be affecting your DEF stat but I might be wrong.

Reading it literally it could be interpreted to also reduce the DEF die from the Buckler as your available DEF dice technically now are 1.

The Buckler always gives you 1 dexterity-free Defense Die regardless of your Active Defense. That's a benefit of the fact that it's a heavy loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
indy lim

Minneapolis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So just to understand, a gearloc with the heavy buckler could fill up all its active slots with defense dice regardless of their DEF stat? And we can use any bones rolled on this extra defense die for the backup plan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
indylim wrote:
So just to understand, a gearloc with the heavy buckler could fill up all its active slots with defense dice regardless of their DEF stat? And we can use any bones rolled on this extra defense die for the backup plan?

Yes, that's all correct. However, if your Gearloc has a defense stat of 2, for example, and your use of the buckler provided you with 2 defense dice in active slots, you would still have to count those against your defense stat. As a result, you wouldn't be able to roll more than the 1 buckler defense die on a subsequent turn (not until you exhausted some of that active defense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Moore
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
is that an official ruling on it Larry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
lorddog wrote:
is that an official ruling on it Larry?

This part is official:

Say Tantrum has a 0 Defense Stat and he's carrying the Reinforced Buckler. He has a defense die in an active slot thanks to the Buckler from his last turn. Question: Does the Buckler allow him to roll another single Defense Die in spite of the Defense Die already present in the active slot?

Josh Carlson: This is a Heavy item and is meant to be quite powerful. Yes, you can roll 1 Def die per turn (that has no bearing on your Def Stat). When you have a Def die in an Active Slot, it only affects your Def Stat in terms of how many more Def dice you can roll. Therefore, this Buckler can keep rolling a Def die each turn no matter what is active already.

Everything else is opinion and commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon (Stanza)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry's ruling seems correct to me as well, if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.