GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,939 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Monsterpocalypse» Forums » General

Subject: Can I play without a starter set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raw Kyle

Mississippi
msg tools
I recently heard about this game from Team Covenant's podcast and want to try it but I am having a very difficult time finding a starter set for sale . If I were to buy an accessory pack plus some boosters, would that be enough to start playing? Or does anyone have any other ideas for a new player at this point?

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The minimum you will need to play this game is two monsters, some units, some buildings and dice for both players.

And the dice can also be found in some of PPs other games, There was that soccer style game with the WarMachine mechs in it. (The name escapes me). But they had the Monpoc dice in there.

Welcome to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Spazzfist wrote:
The minimum you will need to play this game is two monsters, some units, some buildings and dice for both players.

And the dice can also be found in some of PPs other games, There was that soccer style game with the WarMachine mechs in it. (The name escapes me). But they had the Monpoc dice in there.

Welcome to the game!

Grind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll also want a map. Those were available in places besides the starters, but at this point I don't remember where. Map packs and strategy guides?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Connor
msg tools
mb
The starter set really is the best for newbies; it gives everything 1 person needs to play with.

If you don't or can't get it, you will need: An accessory pack (dice and health tracker, though writing health down somewhere is perfectly viable), a map pack of some kind (for the play-mats plus a bonus building guaranteed), 1 monster booster or 1 monster (with its alpha form and ultra form), plenty of units, and plenty of buildings. That'll get you started - for one player. Having everything for 2 players means you need to double everything but the map pack.

Alternatively, if you ever find a 'DMZ' pack, those will have complete armies in them, but very few buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Put your location in your profile. I have a starter and expansions I picked up for $75, and can trade or sell it locally (SF Bay Area).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raw Kyle

Mississippi
msg tools
I love in Mississippi. What other expansions would you include with the starter? I may be interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raw Kyle

Mississippi
msg tools
Helljin wrote:
Spazzfist wrote:

Welcome to the game!

Grind

Does Grind use the same dice? Or are you suggesting I should just play that instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ksellner wrote:
Helljin wrote:
Spazzfist wrote:

Welcome to the game!

Grind

Does Grind use the same dice? Or are you suggesting I should just play that instead?

Same dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raw Kyle

Mississippi
msg tools
Thanks for all replies. One more question, how many units and buildings would I need for two players to be able to play casually?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 player battle box has the following. per side

1 monster (2 versions)
13 units
3 buildings

The DMZ box came with the following.
2 monsters
1 morpher (and its combiners)
16 units
2 faction buildings
1 building

The starters 1 monster, 13 units and 3 buildings per side was fine for casual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you want a few more buildings, personally. For casual play it doesn't really matter what they are, just that they can serve as a source of power dice and extra damage from power attacks. Aim for six buildings per player, at least. (IMHO)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.