GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Would you like a bag with that? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a small storage solution project I thought would be fun to share with other Scytherians, Scythians, Scytherines, whatever we people are.

I was recently trying to think of a better way to organize my copy of Scythe, preferably in a way that would make the setup and clearing of the table as fast as possible. I used to store everything in the sealable plastic bags that came with the game and use the plastic containers for coins and resources while playing, but there was still a lot of sorting and arranging involved. That’s when it occurred to me that I could use cloth bags that would work well for both storage and use during the game.

I measured everything I had in the box and estimated what size of bags I would need – and how many. Then I headed to Amazon (the German one) and picked two 12-packs of 15 x 10 cm (roughly 6 x 4 inches) cotton pouches. The bags were slightly bigger than I needed, but I figured it wouldn’t be a problem. For some reason, most of the sellers on Amazon don’t deliver goods like this to Finland, so it took a while to find one that did.

The bags arrived in a few days, so I got to work. First, I put them through the washer. They smelled nice and fresh, but I wanted to make sure there were no chemical traces. Plus, if they survive the washer, they’ll survive the use I’ve intended for them. After the pouches were dry, I moved everything from the original plastic bags to the cotton pouches.

Here are the pouches, still empty, some of them folded up for use.

Here’s everything packed into their pouches, ready for a game or two. I still need to find a solution for the combat wheels and the cards, but for now, they can stay in their original plastic bags.

A close-up of the resources in their pouches.

A close-up of the faction pieces in their pouches.

A close-up of the coins in their pouches.

Here’s how everything looks when packed into the boxes. I could have folded the pouches a little more nicely, but this is who I am.

All the leftover plastic that I can now repurpose somewhere else.

The cotton pouches will provide nice padding for the realistic resources and coins, plus I think they look rather fancy. However, their main benefit is that they’ll make my life easier during the game. I tested this solution with a match against the Automa and was really satisfied how everything turned out. Handling the coins and resources was easy, and clearing the table was just as fast as I expected.

This is still a bit of a work in progress, though. The pouches could be smaller, especially for the coins. The cards and combat wheels need their own pouches, custom sized for each. These minor annoyances I can live with, but there is still a problem with the pouches lacking a way to identify the contents without opening them. There are multiple ways to mark the pouches, such as stitched patches, using a pen suitable for cloth, using a stencil, or using a stamping method of some kind, but I’m not really a crafty [sic] person. If anyone has suggestions on how to mark the pouches in a way that is both easy and looks fantastic, I’m all ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Potomac
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Smart. I found the following in American Amazon Website. Here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KUGUT3Q/ref=ox_sc_mini_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frey
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very nice, i like the bags a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cloth bags are a nice idea, however I don't really see how this is a solution versus organizing the components into plastic bags. I have all of one faction in each bag, and coins in another, etc. This bag idea would merely replace the plastic I already use to organize components. I don't really see how clothe bags organize anything any differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
dboyee wrote:
The cloth bags are a nice idea, however I don't really see how this is a solution versus organizing the components into plastic bags. I have all of one faction in each bag, and coins in another, etc. This bag idea would merely replace the plastic I already use to organize components. I don't really see how clothe bags organize anything any differently.

Well, yeah, for organizing purposes the material of the bags doesn't matter. Maybe I phrased something awkwardly. The cloth bags offer extra protection to the heavier pieces and stay upright when you fold them like on the images. I found it easier to pick coins and resources from the bags while playing, and I managed to skip the phase where I sort stuff from plastic bags to the plastic containers. Plus they look cool - and would look even cooler with some kind of printing on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:
dboyee wrote:

Well, yeah, for organizing purposes the material of the bags doesn't matter. Maybe I phrased something awkwardly. The cloth bags offer extra protection to the heavier pieces and stay upright when you fold them like on the images. I found it easier to pick coins and resources from the bags while playing, and I managed to skip the phase where I sort stuff from plastic bags to the plastic containers. Plus they look cool - and would look even cooler with some kind of printing on them.

OK, I can see how the bags provide protection to the pieces - looks like you have the collectors edition. Because you can stand the bags up must mean that you leave the components in the bags? I can see how that would speed up set up (rather than emptying bags!). I get how this is an improvement now - thank you for elaborating on it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:
Here's a small storage solution project I thought would be fun to share with other Scytherians, Scythians, Scytherines, whatever we people are.

LOL, I vote for Scythians, getting biblical and all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally created a BGG profile just so I could respond to your post. I recently got into drawstring bags for game components myself, they're handy and look great with Scythe. For the different faction bags, I used permanent marker to color around the lip of the bag in faction-related colors. For example, Rusviets have a thick red line around the edge with a thin black outline, Nordic have a thick light blue line and a dark blue outline, etc.

It works out well because 1) it's easily identifiable whether the bags are closed or open or folded, and 2) it's much easier than trying to stencil on canvas (which bleeds ink like crazy). I'm also not that great of an artist.

I'm a newbie and at work, but if you would like photos, I might be able to figure it out later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
SepiaPenguin03 wrote:
I finally created a BGG profile just so I could respond to your post. I recently got into drawstring bags for game components myself, they're handy and look great with Scythe. For the different faction bags, I used permanent marker to color around the lip of the bag in faction-related colors. For example, Rusviets have a thick red line around the edge with a thin black outline, Nordic have a thick light blue line and a dark blue outline, etc.

It works out well because 1) it's easily identifiable whether the bags are closed or open or folded, and 2) it's much easier than trying to stencil on canvas (which bleeds ink like crazy). I'm also not that great of an artist.

I'm a newbie and at work, but if you would like photos, I might be able to figure it out later today.

This is the first time I've directly caused someone to join a forum, so I should probably treat myself a cup of coffee to celebrate.

Of course I'm interested in seeing how you've approached the idea. My girlfriend told me that there are markers especially designed for textiles, so I could get myself a bunch of those. Factions could be color-coded like you've done, the coins could use a circle with a number inside and the resources could use simple shapes such as some triangles for wood and a few lines for food (wheat).

Edit: Gosh darnit embarrassing typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
SepiaPenguin03 wrote:

Yes please, photos would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go:

I tried to match the feel of the faction symbols while keeping it simple. Even though Saxony and Crimea are the same colors, I don't think you'd ever confuse their bags, and even though Polania is plain, it's still pretty obvious which one it is. Best of all, it took about ten minutes to do, and the colors are pretty bold, though I'm sure you could deepen them further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pictures, your solution looks very nice. I don't know if my hands are steady enough to draw such straight lines, but I might implement this idea somehow on my own project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. I love the custom colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan Pitkin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Those are sweet! I would like a bag with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.