Colosseum» Forums » General

Subject: Runaway Leader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Intile
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Hey all!

I have been playing lately this game a lot, but I have seen a trend in always having a Runaway Leader, the one that gets the podium(or multiple podiums) is always the winner, and this is usually determined on the first round.

I wanted to share this and know if you have experienced this and what can be done about it? Because we were pretty excited about the game but it has begun to get watered down due to this.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McGillivray
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
It has been quite a while since I played this game but I always felt the same. I liked the idea of the game but felt like there was no way to catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runaway leader has never been a problem in any of our games. The trading should help balance that out. If someone is in the lead, others tend not to offer them the best trades. If you have a runaway leader, why are you making generous trades with them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nor have I.

Do keep in mind that you can put on the same show the next round and that it is only the highest scoring production of any round (usually the last) that is used for final scoring.

So sometimes players horde resources and money to go huge on one big production. I've seen a player go from last to first, having acquired the right biggest show and putting it on at the end.

But, of course, it is harder to do if you let someone win consecutive rounds. As others have pointed out, when there is a leader, be very careful in trading with him or her. Don't trade them what they need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The podiums are important for sure...I do find the person with the most podiums tend to win, but not always. I find this to be more of the case if you play with players winning multiple auctions.

Playing with only 1 auction win per player per round, limits the resources thus making the leader losing one tile much more painful. That being said, it might be best to yank a tile they desperately need rather than what last place really needs.

Honestly, most of my games go down to nobles... And typically it's been 2 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordy Lelon
Belgium
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
If someone is winning, you should leverage them to pay more for the resources they want. Treat trades with them differently compared to others, he is already in the lead. If he wants you to help him stay in the lead, he will have to pay dearly for it.

This goes for most games involving trading, and is a common mistake people make. Via the trading, you should be balancing out his advantage from winning the last round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to see the opposite! People who are in the lead near the start of the game rarely are toward the end. Being in the lead hurts, because you loose an extra performer, all for an extra +3.

Which version are you playing? If you're playing the original, make sure you play the "intense auction" variant. It definitely enhances the gameplay as people can make multiple purchases. I think it'll help stop the runaway leader thing as people will be less likely to dump their entire stack of coins on a single bid, and will instead try to spread them out across multiple sets, which increases the trading potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poddster wrote:
I tend to see the opposite! People who are in the lead near the start of the game rarely are toward the end. Being in the lead hurts, because you loose an extra performer, all for an extra +3.

Which version are you playing? If you're playing the original, make sure you play the "intense auction" variant. It definitely enhances the gameplay as people can make multiple purchases. I think it'll help stop the runaway leader thing as people will be less likely to dump their entire stack of coins on a single bid, and will instead try to spread them out across multiple sets, which increases the trading potential.

I like the 'intense' auctions -- but I feel it only promotes a runaway leader. If you can win multiple auctions, then you'll have more resources. Odds are you'll attempt to win ones you need (or will need in the future). With more resources, the loss of a single resource because you are first, just isn't too damaging -- heck if at all damaging. Though a savvy stealer could yank a tile that gave you a +4.

You might be right that trading potential may increase, but could easily see scarcity of resources also promote trading (ie Torch piece I have no desire using ever...I'd probably find an easier time trading with limited resources then with an abundant amount of resources). Either way, trading is crucial in this game, and it's probably the REAL reason you get runaway winners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.