GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,457 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster reactions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello... just trying to make sure I understand this correctly. Fighting the butcher and almost all cards have React triggers. The rule book says all successful wounds are removed. So can you not wound any cards with the (r) symbol??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Pg. 219 of the Rule Book:

Reflex (Reaction): A type of monster reaction. This reaction occurs regardless of whether or not the wound attempt succeeds or fails.

Not really sure what you're reading that gave you your first impression. In any event, reactions fall into four types: Failure, Wound, Reflex, and Critical/No Reaction.

A critical hit on a wound location with a critical icon cancels all reactions, period. It is the same as if the hit location never had a reaction printed on it in the first place. Some will quibble that this isn't a real reaction, but I'm putting it here as a sort of "Null Reaction".

Failure reactions trigger when you miss the wound attempt.

Wound reactions trigger when you succeed the wound attempt.

Reflex reactions trigger regardless unless you hit a Critical.

In all scenarios you still are trying to hurt the monster and, if successful, you remove an AI card from its pool and place it into the wound stack. The exception to this format are Impervious locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Additions for clarity:
-wound reactions also don't trigger on a crit
-an autocrit that doesn't mention a regular wound (such as with founding stone) doesn't wound if the location doesn't have a crit. And a roll that would crit, on a wound location without a crit, doesn't mean you've wounded (though the roll will usually still wound unless your strength is terrible).
-some effects work like reactions, but unless they have the reaction symbol etc., they aren't for purposes of things taht interact with reactions, and the timing can be different
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
Pg. 219 of the Rule Book:

Reflex (Reaction): A type of monster reaction. This reaction occurs regardless of whether or not the wound attempt succeeds or fails.

Not really sure what you're reading that gave you your first impression. In any event, reactions fall into four types: Failure, Wound, Reflex, and Critical/No Reaction.

One of the other players had the book and read "Reactions occur after a wound attempt and any successful wounds are removed." Pg. 32

I ended up seeing it In the detailed showdown page. That wording just confused us. It seemed like no matter the reaction, wounds do not happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Ryn
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Digmecolder wrote:
One of the other players had the book and read "Reactions occur after a wound attempt and any successful wounds are removed." Pg. 32

I believe it means reactions occur after ant health/AI has been removed for a successful wound attempt.

"Reactions occur after {a wound attempt and any successful wounds are removed.}" rather than "Reactions occur after {a wound attempt} and any successful wounds are removed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Svensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Successful wounds are removed = the monster's ai cards are moved to the wound stack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this has been clarified
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add in:

If a monster is knocked down, reactions are cancelled, but critical hits are not. This matters when fighting The Gorm (who can be knocked back when being Critted), the DBK (also KB on crits) and the Manhunter (who can really hurt you for critting him).

You haven't lived until you have punched a knocked down Gorm into the air and over a giant stone face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.