GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Unlock! Escape Adventures» Forums » General

Subject: Unlock app, be careful, dont switch to another app rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Frey
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing Unlock! Squeak and Sausage we were down to about 4 minutes and thought we could win, but for some reason I felt the need to switch from the Unlock app, to another app on my phone to check something.
Bad idea!
Fair warning to not switch from the Unlock app to something else mid-game.
When returning to the app, it just started over from the beginning language screen and lost all our progress.

I still feel like we technically won though

So for anyone else playing unlock, just leave the app running and mess around on some other device if you must.

Could be a phone/OS issue, don't know, just fair warning.

good luck, its a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which platform were you on, Android or iOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frey
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android 7.1.2 Nexus 5x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrey wrote:
Android 7.1.2 Nexus 5x

Thanks. I was trying to reproduce the issue on iOS but wasn't able to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frey
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically I switched to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
a barcode reader app to try to scan the code

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Strange behavior.

I can't reproduce it on my phone. I used (for testing purpose) to launch an adventure and make other things. Normally the timer continues to go down.

REgards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frey
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, i opened a few other apps and none of them cause the unlock app to restart, just he one i mentioned in the previous post.

this one...

hiding it cause its kind of a clue, but try installing that and opening it if you're trying to reproduce it. it may be a problem with that other app and not the unlock apps issue at all, but again its just a warning for folks to be careful. Better to just use another device to look stuff up while the timer is running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
Probably caused by running out of RAM. You switched apps, the OS decided it needed memory for the new foreground app, and killed the background processes. On Android when this happens it will still show "recent apps" that are no longer running in the background, and when a recent app is selected, it is relaunched.

For repro, open unlock and start the timer, then switch away from unlock and open a bunch of apps or at least one or two memory-intensive ones, then attempt to switch back to unlock.

This can likely be fixed by saving the current app state in the onStop() callback. That way when the user navigates back to unlock, the data can be retrieved in the onCreate() callback (if it exists).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frey
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i tried it with a ton of other apps open, flipping back and forth. it seems to be only the app i mentioned at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.