GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,978 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: First Impressions - a bit disappointed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just bought City of the Ancients, Harvesters, Trederra, & the Frontier Town expansions. First off that's an ungodly amount of stuff to punch out! I noticed that the Trederra cardboard was of a much lower quality than either the core game or tnt frontier town. First of all the tokens wanted to rip vs pop out, & there was a grittiness to a lot of the board sections & tokens. The only core game cardboard components I had issue with were the sheeta that had the frozen sections on the back. They seem to have gotten some kind of residue adhered Thu them where they were in contact with the frozen sides of the sheeta. It formed a pattern that matches the cuts in the cardboard that was touching ight. It looks like it should just brush off but out does not.

As for the minis the trederra & frontier town models are not yet aasembled. The Harvesters went together without issue, as did the player characters. The small tentacle demons weren't awful but a tad awkward. On the other hand, the night terrors, & the big bad all required massive amounts of greenstuff in order to fill the rather obvious gaps. I'm not unaccustomed to this level of work... on pewter & resin models that is, just not with multipart plastic. Even Malifaux I haven't needed so much greenstuff.

So after spending over $200 on this I'm a bit disappointed. Is it just thatIb have really bad luck or is this about normal for Flying Frog &/or Shadows of Brimstone?

All that said I've watched a lot of videos & I'm really looking forward to playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is good.
The miniatures (particularly in both cores) are terrible.
I personally had no issues with any cardboard components, but I don't have Trederra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures from both core sets are rather shabby, lack detail and don't assemble in a standard for the "hobby grade minis" they were touted to be by FFP.
But- they learned their lesson from the initial customer backlash and more recent minis are quite good in comparison.

Despite that, the game is really fun once you get into it- so just relax and enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a game in, you'll enjoy it.
Take the core mini's as a personal challenge (if that make you feel better), once I finally put my stuff together I was very happy despite the lack of quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis have gotten a lot better since the core sets, so there's that small comfort. And the game is fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the others, I can't speak to the Trederra cardboard, because I'm saving that expansion for last in my groups playthrough of all the missions.

Also, as others have said, the core minis suck. There's just no other way to describe it. They are unnecessarily difficult to assemble: tons of tiny pieces that are easy to break/lose, poor details, and pieces that don't actually fit together correctly.

The good news is that that is by far the worst of it. Every subsequent model has improved over the prior ones. I recently got the swamp raptor and Sand Kraken and I was delighted at the detail and how well everything came together. The pieces made sense in the way they were molded on the sprue. Then, the other day I put together some Darkstone Brutes, and I was immediately reminded how far FFG has come. Those models were not as bad as the core, but nowhere near the quality I have come to expect.

Again, I'll reiterate what others have said: Get some games in and your frustration over those minis will diminish. Not vanish, but diminish. The game is a blast and well worth the pain in the ass of assembling those core minis.

If I could recommend a future purchase, I would say get the Scafford Gang box, followed by the Serpentmen of Jargono. Both are deluxe boxes, adding new items and events into the mix, and the enemies themselves really add diversity to the game. After that, good luck keeping your finger off the trigger when it comes to buying more. I have failed time and time again on that front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco pacchiarini
Italy
pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recently bought the city of the ancients core set from Miniature Market and every single cardboard sheet had the same problem you describe. After wiping them with a moist cloth most of the residue or whatever it was came off, but it was extra work and it shouldn't have happened. I thought it could be some kind of mould...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leto K
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same white powder residue issue with my Swamps of Death core set. It wiped off ok but was a bit alarming.

As others have said, the minis are a mixed bag. I haven't purchased many add-ons, but these at least were terrific to fit together and good detail:
- Trun Hunters
- Serpentmen of Jargono
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the mould/residue problem too with the tiles of the two core sets (City of the Ancients and Swamps of Death), not a good sign indeed.

I can confirm that the minis are a mixed quality, I really like the Harvesters from beyond because you can put the arms in different positions.

The Serpentmen of Jargono are good, but I hated the head of the Serpentman Shaman although the end result was great.

Excluding the two core sets, I had big problems to put together the Dark stone brutes. They seem an easy job but it's difficult to position them well on the base on the three support points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.