GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,765 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Forum question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
Etterbeek
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

not exactly new but i've got a newbie question...
I subscribed on a couple of forums to get notifications, but I'd like to stop the notifications for certain threads, when I can't be bothered with them.
For now I opened the thread, clicked on the subscribe arrow and clicked "Block".

I just try to do it again but I couldn't block it. Also, there's actually a list now of blocked threads. I think there is a way to turn off notifications for each thread individually, but I can't find how.

Thank you for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woffle wrote:
Hi all,

not exactly new but i've got a newbie question...
I subscribed on a couple of forums to get notifications, but I'd like to stop the notifications for certain threads, when I can't be bothered with them.
For now I opened the thread, clicked on the subscribe arrow and clicked "Block".

I just try to do it again but I couldn't block it. Also, there's actually a list now of blocked threads. I think there is a way to turn off notifications for each thread individually, but I can't find how.

Thank you for the help

Get rid of the block for whatever forums are blocked, then toggle between 'subscribe' and 'unsubscribe' (once you click subscribe, you'll see the word itself change; don't use the pull down arrow). Also note that if you click on 'My Geek' at the top of the page, one of the keywords you'll see then is 'Subscriptions', which will let you fine tune them. For example, I prefer to get notices for new threads, but not for each new post to threads I've already seen as my default.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Etterbeek
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, the problem is the system seem bugged for me. I go into the manage block section, click 'unblock' and then refresh, and the thread is back in the blocked section.
The same happens when I click subscribe on an individual thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
I'd try again later. I'm currently also having a problem when I thumb a post - it looks like it worked, but when I refresh the page, it isn't there (someone else has posted about it in the bugs forum, too: Tipping in the G4GG raffles is negating thumbs....). So maybe the same is happening with the block/unblock settings.

For what it's worth, I just tried it with one of the threads I blocked, and I'm having the same issue - the setting doesn't "stick", and when I load the page again, it's back to the old setting. It probably is a temporary, general problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Etterbeek
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never understood the purpose of the "block" function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palmer Eldritch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that this thread should pop up now. I've been trying to clean up my thread subscriptions today and I cannot. When I click on the 'Unsubscribe' in the list it changes to 'Subscribe' but the new setting is never saved. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Lecce
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same experience for me yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I've never understood the purpose of the "block" function.

Say you subscribe to a forum, and you want to stop seeing only one thread. You Block the thread and the forum remains subscribed. You were never actually subscribed to the thread, just the forum, so you can't actually unsubscribe it: you Block it.

(Ideally, you should just unsubscribe and BGG should handle the details invisibly, but the programming bones show through here.)

The same applies to parts of a game subscription etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Walt! I've never subscribed to a forum, thus I hadn't realized the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Etterbeek
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What are the settings to subscribe to a forum, but where you need to subscribe to each thread individually once you've read it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Set to subscribe to Threads only and not Replies.

Further: once you subscribe to a forum, hit the little down arrow button next to it, and click Edit Subscriptions, and then make sure those two options show how you want it to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Etterbeek
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got it, thanks.
I'm a bit confused because I'm subbed to 1P guild & wargames, and I can't seem to find them browsing the forum manually. Weird

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
woffle wrote:
Got it, thanks.
I'm a bit confused because I'm subbed to 1P guild & wargames, and I can't seem to find them browsing the forum manually. Weird

You mean you can't find them if you browse
https://boardgamegeek.com/forums/region/1/boardgamegeek ?

Unless I'm mistaken, guilds are separate, and not part of the general (visible) forum "tree".

You can manage your guild subscriptions in "Manage subscriptions > guilds", though:
https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/manage/feeds/guild
Or on the individual guild pages themselves, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.