GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,656 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Championship Formula Racing» Forums » General

Subject: Season Rules & Alternative Car Models rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, looks like this is the game for me very excited to play! I ordered my copy in the mail.

2 questions

1) Does the game come with season rules for multiple plays?

2) I was reading the cars that come with the game don't fit the board, does anyone have any suggestions for alternative cars?

Thanks!

P.S. I apologize I may be duplicate posting but I swear my posts arent showing up after I post them WTF sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no season rules included with the game. I will use the actual F1 season rules, which are simply awarding points for finishing position for each driver. The current F1 points are:
Pos Points
1st 25
2nd 18
3rd 15
4th 12
5th 10
6th 8
7th 6
8th 4
9th 2
10th 1

As for the car models, cars from Speed Circuit, Formula De/D, and Race! Formula 90 all work fine. There are some links and pictures here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1747385/cars-too-big/pa...

I have the Speed Circuit, Formula De and some Shapeways ones myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:

I've use a slightly different point system than traditional F1 (although F1 will also periodically change their system.)

1st -- 23 pts
2nd -- 16
3rd -- 11
4th -- 8
5th -- 6
7th -- 4
8th -- 3
9th -- 2
10th -- 1
11th, 12th, or DNF -- 0 pts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to be running fewer than 10 cars, I recommend you use the older point-scoring system from F1 - 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is that Doug?

And thank you Darrell, I'm running a lot of 6 car races, s perfect!

FWIW, the Speed Circuit Campaign game used 10, 5, 3, 1, 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucidphoenix wrote:
Boze wrote:

I've use a slightly different point system than traditional F1 (although F1 will also periodically change their system.)

1st -- 23 pts
2nd -- 16
3rd -- 11
4th -- 8
5th -- 6
7th -- 4
8th -- 3
9th -- 2
10th -- 1

With fewer cars, I'd actually recommend starting from the bottom. So for six cars,

With 8 cars,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed on the main page description of this game describes that it does in fact come with season rules?

- rules for weather, differing types of tires, running a full race season

so is that not the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are tire choices. There are two different tire compounds available for a race that is longer than one lap. Tire changes require pit stops which mean more than a one lap race

Season rules are not specifically spelled out. There is really no wrong way to run a season. However, some of the primary items to consider if planning a season would be:
Car setup
Which tracks will be used
How many laps per race
# of points awarded for each place at the race end

For Car setup, does the driver set up the car for the entire season before the first race; not changing it between races
or
Is the driver able to change the car set up before each race
or
some other combination
As long as it is decided before the first race of the season, it is fair for everyone.

For tracks, you might want to decide which track will be used first, which second and so on. You can choose how many races will be run during the season. It is certainly acceptable to race more than once on a track in a season

For Laps per race, the more laps the longer it takes to complete the race. By deciding the number of laps for each race before the start of the season, it is again fair for everybody. If you choose to have multiple races on a track, you might choose to have a different number of laps the second time the track is used.

There are many different point options. The winner gets the most points. Every car may be awarded points, or perhaps only the top 3, 6 or 10 finishers. Whatever you choose, stay consistent with that choice for the season.

Most of all, a second season can use the same season rules or completely different ones at your discretion!

At this time, I do not see specific rules for weather. They may be spelled out at a later time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
Why is that Doug?

My point system has been tweeked over the years and grew out of my PBeM series. Like many changes, this one came about because I did not like how a particular 3-race season ended -- it just did not seem right to me. So I changed things around and came up with different 3-race scenarios until I liked the results based on this point system.

But I'm not sure there is any magic to the points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
It seems that the normal or modified point system would work if you were also doing the same amount of races as a normal F1 season (19-21 grand prix). Since most of us aren't doing that many, that high of a weighted result could easily knock half the players out of the running after the first race or two.

I think Mr. Suitcase's "start from the bottom" may produce a more competitive season as the spread is tighter and the max is still achievable by those farther down in the standings. I would actually run the "8 car" season point spread as the max for all 8+ car races just to keep it from getting too far spread out.

Granted, I have no experience with this game but from strictly a game design perspective, I think you'll keep gamers involved longer in the season if they feel like they still have a shot at placing near the top of the podium at the end of the season. The more races you run in a season, however, the more you can spread the points out like the actual F1 point system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:

I think Mr. Suitcase's "start from the bottom" may produce a more competitive season as the spread is tighter and the max is still achievable by those farther down in the standings. I would actually run the "8 car" season point spread as the max for all 8+ car races just to keep it from getting too far spread out.

That's the idea, since your opponent who placed 1st is more likely to place again in subsequent races with a smaller field. This keeps it competitive.

Compared to a larger field, where your opponent who placed 1st is less likely to hit another big finish due to the larger number of racers. Therefore, you still have a chance to compete. Mind you, if your opponent does get those additional big finishes, they will get an unassailable standing - and probably deserve it, since they succeeded against a full grid multiple times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Polcen
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
I play Speed Circuit / Championship Formula Racing at Redscape.
badge
www.redscape.com... proud sponsor of neighborly warfare since 1998
mbmbmbmbmb
Redscape's PBEM series runs 3-race seasons with the F1 points system and 12 car fields. The points system makes it almost necessary to win a race to be in the running for the series championship and do well in at least another.

Points, however, also matter in another way. We have 3 (soon to be 4) different circuits with promotion & relegation between seasons. 1/3 of the field moves up and 1/3 down. Points matter and the promotion/relegation lines are often very close. This can make for some very interesting racing in the final contest.

At the end of they day, the F1 points system works very well for us.

We're also looking for a few more drivers if you want to race...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephane heed
France
Vaugneray
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
lucidphoenix wrote:

1st -- 23 pts
2nd -- 16
3rd -- 11
4th -- 8
5th -- 6
7th -- 4
8th -- 3
9th -- 2
10th -- 1

With fewer cars, I'd actually recommend starting from the bottom. So for six cars,

As a gaming perspective, I very much like that idea of starting from the bottom. However, as an ex-competitor I would also add a "+1" bonus for winning for field counts 7, or 5, or under (in order that a 1st and 3rd place finish is better than 2x2nd)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
We actually just used this odd point scheme for a 6 player, two race season:

1st: 3.0 pts
2nd: 2.1 pts
3rd: 2.0 pts
4th: 1.2 pts
5th: 1.1 pts
6th: 1.0 pts

The goal was to keep all the racers engaged for both races as feeling like they had a chance to win the overall regardless of their first race performance. You could drop the decimals and go 30, 21, 20, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.