GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,176 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

B-17 Flying Fortress Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Optional Weather Rule Interpretation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spent the day doing a learning campaign with the suggested U-Boat Focus 1942 while also adding an optional rule each week to add further dimensions.

In week 2 I added weather rolls.

In week 3 I rolled a 1 for the UK Base which is a "Stormy" result. Per page 36 of the rule book, under "Weather" section it states,

"Stormy. If the weather is Stormy in a sector, no missions can be performed against targets in that sector."

There are no targets in the UK Base sector as it just refers to the UK Base. Further down page 36 it states,

"UK Mostly Cloudy. If the weather in the UK is Mostly Cloudy, then missions can be performed, but you must roll for each Group to determine if they can join the Formation at the Rendezvous Point. You can pay 6 SO points to delay the missions for a day, allowing a re-roll for weather in all sectors."

Logically, I don't think the bombers would have tried to take off in what the game calls "Stormy" conditions. So I stood my bombers down and instead rested everyone which allowed me to replenish against my losses from weeks 1 and 2.

Dean, do you have an opinion on this? Should I have treated it the same as "UK Mostly Cloudy" or is "Stormy" meant to shut down the base for that week?

Or should/could I have spent the 6 SO to re-roll weather on the next day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sundborg
United States
Carthage
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can have a Stormy result for the U.K.

Per the weather section, there is a +1 modifier for the U.K., thus making it impossible to have a stormy result.

"For each of the four zones, roll a die, consult the Zone Weather table, add a +1 modifier for UK Base, and place a weather counter in the appropriate Weather Zone box."

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct and I completely missed that paragraph.modest

Thanks for setting me right, Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reyes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had situation with the weather. You roll for weather then pick targets. And after that you can delay the mission by re-rolling the weather. The reason for the re-roll was the UK had mostly cloudy and if they fail the formation check they do not go on the mission. So I did the re-roll and Zone 1 which had both of my targets I picked when to stormy weather which means no bombing runs there. So do I pick different targets or do I lose a week of bombing because the weather front that was over the UK moved and became a full blown storm. And bomber command did not expect it and did not have a back up plan. I actually played it that way and gave my bomber groups a week off. Unfortunately it was the last week of the month and screwed me with the end of the month procedures. I guess following the sequence of play this would be correct.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to reselect your targets in a new sector. The re-roll for weather basically chooses another day in that week to run your missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is pretty clear in the rules, which specify that weather is determined at the "beginning of the morning briefing". Therefore, the Assign Targets step hasn't been performed yet. You don't have to assign targets until you've seen how weather plays out.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.