GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,370 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can failed Shriveling spell still cause damage with arcane tome? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Weatherley
Canada
flag msg tools
When i cast my shriveling spell and get zero successes, i flip the card over to resolve the effects.
I have in my inventory an arcane tome that adds +2 when resolving spell effects.
the resolve effects are
0: spell backfires. take 2 hp
1: lose one sanity
2+: all monster on this space take 2 damage.

with arcane tome do i just skip to the 2+ effect and deal 2 dmg to all monsters even though the spell failed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcane tome, like most +X items, adds +2 to your lore stat when casting the spell, it is not +2 automatic successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Weatherley
Canada
flag msg tools
oh ok thanx. i feel like the wording is bad since typically you "resolve" effects after something has been cast lol. but thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaska Saedelaere
msg tools
mbmb
The effect you are looking for would be something like Professor Armitage:
"Once per round, you may add 1 success to your test result when resolving a Lore test as part of a Spell effect."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuma273 wrote:
oh ok thanx. i feel like the wording is bad since typically you "resolve" effects after something has been cast lol. but thank you

"resolving the effects of a spell" refers to ALL the effects of the spell, not just the back of the card. Casting the spell, applying (if you succeed) the benefit of the spell, and flipping the card over and reading the back are all collectively the effects of the spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reacher
msg tools
Chipacabra wrote:
fuma273 wrote:

"resolving the effects of a spell" refers to ALL the effects of the spell, not just the back of the card. Casting the spell, applying (if you succeed) the benefit of the spell, and flipping the card over and reading the back are all collectively the effects of the spell.

So, I'm confused now. Does this Tome add +2 successes to the back of the card, +2 to my Lore before I cast the spell, or both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackNoneReacher wrote:
Chipacabra wrote:
fuma273 wrote:

So, I'm confused now. Does this Tome add +2 successes to the back of the card, +2 to my Lore before I cast the spell, or both?

It gives you +2 to your lore, unless you have some other effect that gives you a higher +X to your lore (since you only take the highest +X bonus you have in all your possessions or other effects).

Professor Armitage gives you one success when using Spells, so if you have him and the tome (and nothing else), you get +2 to your lore, plus 1 success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.