GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,129 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Yokohama» Forums » General

Subject: Play time - is it really 90 minutes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My deluxe edition should be arriving soon but I wanted to know how long it takes before I open it.

I know this is a tough question to get a definitive answer. After two plays and with people who are slowish is this likely to take under 2 hours? Also, the info page says 90 minutes so does it not matter how many players?

I don't have the space for another game that is over 2 hours. I can find only one report to length and that took 3.5 hours for a first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game will easily take over 2 hours. At full player count expect 3. After a few games you might get it down to 90.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
First game will easily take over 2 hours. At full player count expect 3. After a few games you might get it down to 90.

Thanks.

With 3 players (after 2 games to get the rules "sorted") is 90-120 minutes a realistic goal? I would play it most often at this number (occasionally 2 and 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenrowlands2 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Thanks.

With 3 players (after 2 games to get the rules "sorted") is 90-120 minutes a realistic goal? I would play it most often at this number (occasionally 2 and 4).

90 min, for 3 players on their 3rd play is very realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game 5 times now. It's 2.5-3 hours ish for 4 players first time. Play time will come down with repeated plays and less players.

I'm working on the official rules video right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Neilitz
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just played a 4 player game this past weekend. The actually play time was 115 minutes (one of the other players timed it), although that's not including playing time. I don't think 90 minutes is too far off once everybody knows the rule. 2 hours is probably about the right time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mayes
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 3 games so far and if you're playing with 2-3 players 90 minutes is about right. Definitely a little longer with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like it heavily depends on how people are playing. I could see some games where if a certain area was focused on you could really meet on of the end game conditions quickly. Our first game was 2 players and I feel like it was a longer game because we really spread it around. It probably didn't help I had a few beverages in me while teaching and playing. I was the only one on the Church or Import board. I ended the game with 8 shops on the board and I had 1 trading post left. We still had quite a few orders left.

I actually lost by 1 point. My opponent got 24 points for 2 full sets of foreign symbols. Great first game! I just watch the Dice Tower live play and they played a 2 player game with teaching and final scoring in under 70 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter B
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends how fast or slow players play. I think 90 minutes is not realistic in general for 4 players. Think about 2+ as a minimal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Potomac
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I've played this game 5 times now. It's 2.5-3 hours ish for 4 players first time. Play time will come down with repeated plays and less players.

I'm working on the official rules video right now

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Forrest
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I just taught a 3 player game tonight. First time playing for all three of us. Came in at 100 minutes including teaching but not setup. I imagine a 4th player would have pushed us to 2:15-2:30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Bath
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4 player game and it took about 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so silly when a 2-4 player game just states "90 minutes" on the box with no regard to player count.

So far, it looks like Yokohama is more like about 30 minute per player, 45 minutes per player learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Took us three hours for a four player learning game. We do have some analysis paralysis prone players though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
It's so silly when a 2-4 player game just states "90 minutes" on the box with no regard to player count.

So far, it looks like Yokohama is more like about 30 minute per player, 45 minutes per player learning the game.

Unfortunately, our quality control safeguards did not catch that the 90 minute play time on the box had no regard to player count before we sent out the games. We're really sorry for this inconvenience. None of us are happy about the error. The only cost-effective solution we can offer at this point is the knowledge that 90 minutes is an estimated average, and that all players play at different speeds. We know that's not a perfect solution, and again we're really sorry about the mistake. We hope that you enjoy the game anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the useful replies. Sounds like we should come in under 2 hours after a few games with 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
amodman wrote:

Unfortunately, our quality control safeguards did not catch that the 90 minute play time on the box had no regard to player count before we sent out the games. We're really sorry for this inconvenience. None of us are happy about the error. The only cost-effective solution we can offer at this point is the knowledge that 90 minutes is an estimated average, and that all players play at different speeds. We know that's not a perfect solution, and again we're really sorry about the mistake. We hope that you enjoy the game anyway!

Nice one, Seth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
amodman wrote:

Oh, cool. Now you're following me around and being snarky instead of still actually apologizing for Yokohama's production error. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
amodman wrote:

Oh, cool. Now you're following me around and being snarky instead of still actually apologizing for Yokohama's production error. Awesome.

It looks to me like he did apologize.

Fun game, btw, nicely done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
amodman wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
amodman wrote:

I was a little surprised when this popped up on my subscriptions. But since you're necro-posting it back, I'll go ahead and fill you in about how immature Seth Jafee was being in this thread.

His entire post is a copypasta / "I'm making fun of you" insult towards me from the thread where I criticized their non-action and lack of apology for screwing up the disc stickers in Yokohama.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25744539#25744539

Those are literally my words, not Seth's. Basically, he was following me around the Yokohama boards and being an asshole.

I used to buy TMG games, but I regret giving them any money now after the behavior of their owner. It's truly pitiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
skutsch wrote:
amodman wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
amodman wrote:

I was a little surprised when this popped up on my subscriptions. But since you're necro-posting it back, I'll go ahead and fill you in about how immature Seth Jafee was being in this thread.

His entire post is a copypasta / "I'm making fun of you" insult towards me from the thread where I criticized their non-action and lack of apology for screwing up the disc stickers in Yokohama.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25744539#25744539

Those are literally my words, not Seth's. Basically, he was following me around the Yokohama boards and being an asshole.

I used to buy TMG games, but I regret giving them any money now after the behavior of their owner. It's truly pitiful.

Dude, I read the thread you linked and I don't see what you see. Yeah, the stickers thing was a minor suck, but that's all. The 90 minute thing isn't even a ding. I think you need to mellow out a bit but that's up to you. Have a nice one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Dude, I read the thread you linked and I don't see what you see. Yeah, the stickers thing was a minor suck, but that's all. The 90 minute thing isn't even a ding. I think you need to mellow out a bit but that's up to you. Have a nice one.

Agree with this post, plus, if he is a person associated with the publication of Yokohama, isn't it to be expected that he is watching the forums about yokohama? I don't think he is stalking you, I think you are visiting his game's forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

What are you even going on about? I honestly think you're arguing just to argue. Your post literally does not seem related to anything that has been said whatsoever.

In this thread, Seth was being a petty asshole with this copypasta:

sedjtroll wrote:

This was nothing more than a satirical copy/paste joke made with the intention to mock me. In the thread wherein I criticized his company's lack of any apology for their screwed up stickers, I made up a mock apology to show them how easy it is to apologize. The following are my words, a fictional apology that I wrote in 15 seconds as an example for what an actual apology from the company might have sounded like (if they had chosen to apologize).

amodman wrote:
"Hey backers! Unfortunately, our quality control safeguards did not catch that the 100 point stickers were printed too large for your tokens before we sent out the games. We're really sorry for this inconvenience. None of us are happy about the error. The only cost-effective solution we can offer at this point is a downloadable file that you can print off on sticker sheet paper. We know that's not a perfect solution, and again we're really sorry about the mistake. We hope that you enjoy the game anyway!"

Seth's post in this thread is completely unrelated to the thread. He posted merely to make fun of me by copying my words from the other thread since I posted here. He's being a sarcastic asshole, and nothing more.

Also, this discussion is 7 months old. I have no idea why you people are even posting here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.