GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,322 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Thoughts on Co-ops; why you like or don't like them also [POLL] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
1. How do you feel about cooperative games in general, not a particular game but the concept of co-ops. (Choose one)
I really like the concept of cooperative games
I am pretty okay with the concept of cooperative games, however there are some games I like more than others.
I'm somewhat indifferent about the concept of cooperative games, to me they are just another way to play a game.
I'm not a big fan of the concept of cooperative games however there may be one or two at most I'd play but honestly, I'd rather play another type of game.
I do not like the concept of cooperative games, at all.
None of the above come even close to how I feel about cooperative games (good or bad), I'll comment below.
2. Using the BGG rating scale for individual games, use the chart, instead, for how you feel about playing cooperative games, in general (but not a specific game). **I modified the language of the scale a bit**
10 Outstanding – will always enjoy playing co-op games
9 Excellent – very much enjoy playing co-op games
8 Very good – enjoy playing co-op games and would suggest playing one
7 Good – usually willing to play a co-op game
6 Okay – will play a co-op game if in the mood
5 Mediocre – take it or leave it
4 Not so good – but could play again (if my arm is twisted)
3 Bad – likely won’t play a co-op again
2 Very bad – won’t play a co-op ever again
1 Awful – Just awful, wish they didn't exist.
      479 answers
Poll created by killerjoe1962
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like co-op games, I have yet to play one that I didn't like though that's not saying very much since I've probably played less than 10 different ones to date.

Pandemic is NOT one I'd pick to play every time but I would pick Pandemic: Iberia or Pandemic: The Cure or Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu.

I always enjoy playing Eldritch Horror or Elder Sign or Arkham Horror: The Card Game but not Arkham Horror.

For my birthday I will be getting Defenders of the Realm and even though I have yet to play it I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

What I like about co-ops is the team work, working together to solve a problem, to me that's fun! Yes, the "alpha gamer" thing is bad but I do my best to address that when it becomes necessary (hasn't been too many times).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall I enjoy co-ops! I enjoy playing them with my husband because we discuss our choices, so it's a good way to interact without "take that!"

When I play co-ops with inexperienced people I make suggestions here and there, but I do my best to let them do their thing. My husband can get a little alpha with other players but he's mostly good about letting people do their own thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of coops in general, but haven't found any actual game that is engaging for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like games that are co-operative, insofar as co-operation is necessary to play them.

I don't like single player puzzles that are broken down arbitrarily in to parts for more than one player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I enjoy cooperative games well enough, but I've only found three that have stood out enough to add to my collection - Hanabi, Witness, and Familiar's Trouble. One common thread between all three is that they can't be played solitaire; the latter two, in fact, have fixed player counts (4 and 3, respectively), and can't be played with any other number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather compete, but cooperative games are a pleasant experience. They're particularly handy when you have one or more kid/moron/noob in your midst and you can't get rid of them.

Pete (turns to the cooperative games when he has to include his 8 year old in the gaming)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I certainly enjoy cooperative gaming, but unfortunately I don't really enjoy the common template for cooperative games that allows succesful "quarterbacking". My favorite co-ops integrate substantial hidden information and/or time pressure that make quarterbacking impracticable. Right now, my favorite co-ops are Pandemic: The Cure and Zombicide: Black Plague), which both rely on hidden information in the form of chance. I also have a few cooperative (or cooperative-capable) games that I haven't yet had the chance to try or try cooperatively): Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game, Space Empires: 4X, Hanabi Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and soon Leaving Earth and Hero Realms: The Ruin of Thandar Campaign Deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoy Co-ops like Sentinels and Arkham Horror Card game. They are really easy on my anxiety. Losing sucks but it feels less frustrating then when I lose badly against another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like co-ops.
I'm also not a fan of solo games.
If I wanted to do a puzzle, I'd do a puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my opinion, if a single player has access to all the information, and has the time to process that information, then there isn't any need for more than one player, and playing such games with multiple players is just boring and frustrating. I will play such games solitaire but don't enjoy them played cooperatively with others.

Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Ghost Stories and Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game are all prime examples of what I'm talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I certainly enjoy cooperative gaming, but unfortunately I don't really enjoy the common template for cooperative games that allows succesful "quarterbacking". My favorite co-ops integrate substantial hidden information and/or time pressure that make quarterbacking impracticable. Right now, my favorite co-ops are Pandemic: The Cure and Zombicide: Black Plague), which both rely on hidden information in the form of chance.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that "Pandemic: The Cure" has "hidden information in the form of chance". There is no hidden information in that game and it plays perfectly well solitaire (playing with multiple characters). There is certainly plenty of chance in the game but I don't see how that contributes towards hidden information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
In my opinion, if a single player has access to all the information, and has the time to process that information, then there isn't any need for more than one player, and playing such games with multiple players is just boring and frustrating. I will play such games solitaire but don't enjoy them played cooperatively with others.

Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Ghost Stories and Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game are all prime examples of what I'm talking about.

I'm curious. . .do you play Go, Checkers, or Chess completely solo as well?
Those are all competitive games where all the information is available to all players with time to process it (assuming you aren't playing with a speed clock).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love co-op games. Because they're essentially solo games to me where I can use my brain at its fullest and have no downtime laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maklen9 wrote:
Those are all competitive games where all the information is available to all players with time to process it (assuming you aren't playing with a speed clock).

Perhaps I should have added "and all players are working towards the same goal" in my definition. Obviously, I was not referring to competitive games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maklen9 wrote:
Fried Egg wrote:

The conversation is about coop games. Those are not coop games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that "Pandemic: The Cure" has "hidden information in the form of chance". There is no hidden information in that game and it plays perfectly well solitaire (playing with multiple characters). There is certainly plenty of chance in the game but I don't see how that contributes towards hidden information.

I believe that you and I have different understandings of what constitutes "hidden information".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I would rather play a cooperative game as a solo game. When I play games with other people I have more fun trying to beat them than I have trying to beat the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Fried Egg wrote:

I believe that you and I have different understandings of what constitutes "hidden information".

By "hidden information", I mean information that is known to one (or more) player(s) but not all. I'm not sure what you mean...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I like the idea of coops in general, but haven't found any actual game that is engaging for me.

I'll flip what Eric said around. I don't like the idea of coops in general. One reason (among many) that I like playing boardgames is the experience of competing directly against a table of other smart people, trying to be the best if only for that moment.

But there are a couple coops I'll admit to enjoying. Team Ticket to Ride, Forbidden Island, Hanabi. Totally dependent on the partners though. I tend to play these games with my kids, and so what I'm enjoying is that particular group experience. Those same games with another group--I could imagine not having a good time at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Co-ops are great. They fulfill several purposes:
- Great for new gamers
- Great for people that like to solve puzzles
- Great for when you just want that satisfaction of playing as a team

I feel like you could have a similar discussion with player elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dislike co-ops. I play them if I have kids or specific people that have trouble handling losing. I have tried a lot of them, but they simply don't do it for me. I like the challenge a real opponent brings rather than a random set of cards. I love being able to play off my opponents (in a sense where I benefit and they don't), but co-ops don't give me that option. yuk

Just has a bonus, if I had to chose my favorite though, it'd be Dead of Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to Scott:

I love Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia's team version, but I don't think of a game with multiple competing teams as a co-op. I don't think of Bridge as a co-op, for example.

To me gaming is not about striving to beat others, but about trying to make good decisions in an environment in which I interact enjoyably with others -- for me, the context in which those decisions are made isn't critical. I'd be happy to play a pure co-op with interesting decisions. It's just that the ones I've seen haven't been that interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me board games are not primarily about competition, but about having fun. So as long as the game is enjoyable I'm just as happy to play a co-op game as a competitive game. My favorite (straight) co-ops would be Defenders of the Realm, Agents of SMERSH and T.I.M.E Stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Gallardo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like co-ops. I prefer to play against players, not a system. In addition, I do not like deck building games. I don't enjoy reading a lot of text on cards and making combos.

However, I do like deck building co-ops! I discovered this through playing Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. In this genre, I can ask players which card is good and which isn't! (The schmaltzy theme also adds to the enjoyment of the game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.