GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,355 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many games have the starting player determined randomly (i.e. by random draw, dice roll, or the classic 'youngest player goes first' mechanism).

However, I've noticed that a few games have a random, yet thematically-appropriate(if not occasionally a little silly) mechanism for determining starting player.

A couple of examples:

The Grizzled: The 'hairiest player' is the starting player/mission leader at the beginning of the game.

Unicorn Glitterluck(I have young children - I make no apologies): The player 'who most recently saw a rainbow' goes first.

Any other examples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Ticket to Ride states whomever has been to another city most recently gets to go first.

In Sheriff of Nottingham the start player is whomever has the most cash on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey you...yeah you...the guy busily preparing your list of previous threads and geeklists on the topic... Just don't.

Pete (thinks maybe we should just let people have their fun)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Hey you...yeah you...the guy busily preparing your list of previous threads and geeklists on the topic... Just don't.

Hmm... Telling them that there are already lists and geeklists of these seems already fun-killing to some degree, if you subscribe to the theory that informing is fun-killing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
russ wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Hmm... Telling them that there are already lists and geeklists of these seems already fun-killing to some degree, if you subscribe to the theory that informing is fun-killing.

I think it's just tone? I doubt anyone minds someone popping in and (cheerfully) saying "Hey, don't forget these!" or "Check it out, someone compiled a list like this a few years ago, what else can we add?", but I'll kinda agree with Pete that all too often someone will come in with a more, ahem, contemptuous attitude or a tone that implies the new thread shouldn't exist.

Don't be that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Popsicle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
In Herbaceous it's the player who most recently cooked with or planted herbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
russ wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I think it's just tone? I doubt anyone minds someone popping in and (cheerfully) saying "Hey, don't forget these!" or "Check it out, someone compiled a list like this a few years ago, what else can we add?", but I'll kinda agree with Pete that all too often someone will come in with a more, ahem, contemptuous attitude or a tone that implies the new thread shouldn't exist.

Don't be that guy.

Totally agree. Tone and phrasing is everything.

Besides, if there is an older thread on the same topic, whose to say that there isn't newer information or that attitudes/opinions have changed?

After all, if older threads are allegedly the final word on all topics, whats the point of even visiting the forums?

Plus, let's be honest, resurrecting dead threads is no fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patchwork has something similar as well, i think it's something like the player who most recently sewed something or so.

anyway, even if partially OT, i usually let chwazi decide for me, i find it nice and fast (and usually i don't have any dice on me) i guess it's known by the vast majority of the people here on BGG, but maybe someone doesn't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale - person who lives in the largest house dwelling

Pandemic - person who got sick most recently

Felix Cat In The Sack - the person who most recently petted a cat, or has the most cats? I need to look this up.

Glory To Rome has a mechanically related one:
flip up cards from the deck in front of each player. Player with the card that starts from the most beginning in alphabetically order goes first. All of those cards then go into the Pool (the game's version of a "glorified discard pile"), which has a gameplay purpose and used in-game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in Deep Sea Adventure it's the player who most recently went in the sea.

And I've got a feeling I've played a game where it was the player who's most recently been to a museum, but I can't remember and can't think of a game I've played where that would fit. Ah well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I can't remember which games they are from but I've seen longest beard and pointiest ears. IIRC Rampage (aka something about Meepletown) has 'best monster roar'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Nottingham whoever has the most cash in their wallet goes first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Brookville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In MP:EE it is the person that used the least amount of fuel to get to the location you are playing the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Played Yokohama and I think the start player was the person who last visited Yokohama. Unsurprisingly, no one at our table of four in Northeast Tennessee had visited Yokohama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Hivemind wrote:
IIRC Rampage (aka something about Meepletown) has 'best monster roar'.

I love it when games do this: make it a mini-challenge to be completed quickly on the spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island: The last player to visit an island.
Forbidden Desert: The thirstiest player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemists has whoever was in a lab last, which is great because I work in one.

Pandemic has the last person that was sick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chwazi is the best way to go, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard a lot about Start Player but I can't remember how it determines who plays the first card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The starting player in Quartz is whoever has the longest beard, which obviously favors male players. But if nobody has a beard, the starting player is whoever is shortest, which favors female and young players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
confusedvicky wrote:

And I've got a feeling I've played a game where it was the player who's most recently been to a museum, but I can't remember and can't think of a game I've played where that would fit. Ah well.

Valley of the Kings. I won this once after visiting a King Tut exhibit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Chwazi is the best way to go, imo.

This is what my game group does in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this was Stone Age, but there was a game where the "hairiest" player is the starting player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Here you go!

Starting Player rules!
Best Starting Player Rules
Who Goes First? - No Ordinary Starting Player Generator
Idiotic starting-player rules
Most unique / funniest 'First Player is...' rule (NOW A GEEKLIST!)

(I had no intention of doing it until you complained that we shouldn't.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice: '... the one who can say "Braaaaains!" with the most feeling.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.