GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,352 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Questions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ry Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished game five and I STILL have questions! Sheesh...

1) How the Empire wins. You need to have an imperial unit in the rebel base system, and no rebel units. Okay, so even if you captured the rebel base with ground troops, but lost the space battle, you don't win as the empire? That doesn't make any sense! Also, since blowing up the rebel base with the death star is an automatic win, isn't capturing the rebel base with ground troops the same thing? (just less dramatic)

2)I'm pretty sure it's the Interrogation Droid card, the one where the empire tortures a captured rebel leader into revealing three systems where one is the rebel base. I'm pretty sure the rebels can send another leader to defend, as that is the right of anyone defending against a mission, but just thinking from the standpoint of common sense, how are the rebels able to send someone to help defend against an interrogation when they are captured in a cell somewhere. I'm pretty sure I'm just thinking too much about it...

3) Do the rebel mission cards, Hidden Fleet, and Plan the Assault, require that the rebel base be unrevealed? The cards states that the units are coming from the 'rebel base space', so once the rebel base is revealed all their units on that space are moved to the actual system space. Does that mean they can't use those cards until the base is hidden again and then move their fleet back?

4) Can you choose to discard one of your initial reusable mission cards? We got to a point where the probe deck was empty, and the rebel base was revealed, so the rebel player wanted to discard the Rapid Mobilization card as it was useless now (although it's possible they could warp troops back to the base if my question three turns out a certain way). I didn't think it till just now, but I suppose the imperial Gather Intel card is in the same boat then.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryazii3000 wrote:

1) How the Empire wins. You need to have an imperial unit in the rebel base system, and no rebel units. Okay, so even if you captured the rebel base with ground troops, but lost the space battle, you don't win as the empire? That doesn't make any sense! Also, since blowing up the rebel base with the death star is an automatic win, isn't capturing the rebel base with ground troops the same thing? (just less dramatic)

Those are the rules...

Quote:
2)I'm pretty sure it's the Interrogation Droid card, the one where the empire tortures a captured rebel leader into revealing three systems where one is the rebel base. I'm pretty sure the rebels can send another leader to defend, as that is the right of anyone defending against a mission, but just thinking from the standpoint of common sense, how are the rebels able to send someone to help defend against an interrogation when they are captured in a cell somewhere. I'm pretty sure I'm just thinking too much about it...

Again...those are the rules...

Quote:
3) Do the rebel mission cards, Hidden Fleet, and Plan the Assault, require that the rebel base be unrevealed? The cards states that the units are coming from the 'rebel base space', so once the rebel base is revealed all their units on that space are moved to the actual system space. Does that mean they can't use those cards until the base is hidden again and then move their fleet back?

Unless a card specifically says the base must be hidden, any card that references the base space is considered to refer to the system, instead.

Quote:
4) Can you choose to discard one of your initial reusable mission cards? We got to a point where the probe deck was empty, and the rebel base was revealed, so the rebel player wanted to discard the Rapid Mobilization card as it was useless now (although it's possible they could warp troops back to the base if my question three turns out a certain way). I didn't think it till just now, but I suppose the imperial Gather Intel card is in the same boat then.

Thanks again!

You may not discard starting missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
ryazii3000 wrote:

That's essentially what happened in Hoth (in an abstracted way). The Rebels lost the ground fight, but thanks to the Ion Cannons, they managed to fend off the Space units long enough to get away. In this game, that exact situation doesn't have a direct parallel (they didn't DESTROY the Star Destroyers), but I think it can be abstracted out that way.

Basically, by securing the space, the Rebels are able to get enough of their HQ leadership to safety.

Quote:

It could be seen as a sort of pseudo rescue mission; perhaps the rescuer isn't able to free them, but their appearance distracts the interrogation enough to make it more difficult (and perhaps the prisoner hears about it and gains stronger resolve in the process).

Quote:

Hidden Fleet and Plan the Assault are nice because you do NOT have to have the base revealed, and have the extra bonus of allowing you to make the attacks specified without having to even be adjacent to your base, so you can do these missions without giving the Empire any information.

Quote:

As Craig says, Starting Missions cannot be discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barry
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers above are correct. Additionally I'd like to weigh in on Q 4.

If the base is revealed you may not warp troops back to the base via its text. If there are no Probe cards in the deck and the base is revealed Rapid Mobilization does absolutely nothing when it resolves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Clark
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
[q="ryazii3000"]

Think of this: The death star comes floating up to the planet, any rebel ships are no match for the big lad so off they go, no time to evacuate the personnel on the base. Death star powers its big old laser and no more base..... no more anything! OK so that it fairly thematic.... So no big star of deathness, the imperial fleet arrives and drops off the troops, the rebel fleet smashes the imperial fleet with admiral Akbar saying 'you in my trap now bitches'! We can then assume that there is enough personnel left to be evacuated to the remaining ships to 'get out of dodge' and set up elsewhere.
Totally thematic!

Quote:

The rebellion always has a network of spies to alert them to any undue activity so Han or someone turns up to try and make the rescue! But they are only going to succeed or fail! (thematically perhaps they where a little late or it was to risky)
if they fail then they poke him/her until they give up some info then they are of no more use! Again Totally thematic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
ryazii3000 wrote:

The possibilities are endless! The rebel counter-mission could...

-Send Rogue Squadron to feign an attack on the prison complex, preventing the imperial leader from arriving at the facility!
-Deploy a group of goons to threaten to kidnap the imperial leader's family if the interrogation succeeds!
-Sneak a spy into the prison to replace the interrogation droid's truth serum with gatorade!
-Hack into the prison's network to warn the prisoner what's about to happen!

And so on.

What's more entertaining to me is figuring out the theme behind countering the homing beacon mission, whereby if you succeed, your leader remains captured:

"HQ? I'm free! Heading back to the base now."
"No, it's a trap, they've got a beacon on you! Get back to your cell this instant and act like nothing happened!"

... there are more plausible thematic explanations, but it still makes me laugh every time it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.