GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Deadball» Forums » General

Subject: Check Your Messages For Final Team Sheets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Akers
msg tools
designer
publisher
Hey folks!

Just letting you know that I sent out a message through Kickstarter with a final draft of all the team sheets, asking people to check to make sure their name is spelled correctly. If you were a $30 backer, glance over it this afternoon.

On a semi-related note, why does everyone want to be catchers? I had like 12 people requesting to be Southern Circuit catchers. Nobody wanted to be a fleet-footed left fielder, and only one or two of you wanted to be starting pitchers! What's so cool about being a catcher? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am not named after any players, I would imagine it is partially due to the ability to control the game some. The catcher exerts his influence on his relationship with the pitcher, his framing, throwing runners out and pitch calls. While I personally would in another more athletic life be a pitcher for the one on one battle with the batter, catcher is certainly appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neh, I know I would ask because I've *played* the position. Best position in the infield. (The pitcher-first base player in the family agrees to disagree.)

But you're right: good catching makes a good pitcher better. And I was a better catcher based on the tutelage of an experienced pitcher. There are all sorts of nuances associated with glove placement behind the plate.

Do not let anyone fool you. A catcher must be a stellar, nimble athlete as well as a tactician. Just ask his or her knees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yesa Fakename
United States
Guam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Movie magic?
I blame Hollywood. 90% of baseball-based features tend to drive home that unique pitcher-catcher relationship. And since we are all essentially playing armchair baseball, who is usually the one making all the strategic calls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.