GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,183 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very tempted by this, but it seems to be largely card driven.

Are the mechanics similar to QMG,where the route to victory is clever card play or more like M44 where the card play allows tactics to be played out on the board. Not sure if I have explained this very well :-)

I like one of those games a lot, less keen on the other so any advice would be great.

Also is it playable solo at al (official or otherwise)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is more in the middle, as the second CDG of the modern CDG era. You play cards either as events to affect the situation (reinforcements, weather, reduce opponents hand, similarity to QMG) or as command points to activate leaders and their stacked troops (similar to M'44, except that the points are generic and some leaders are easier to activate and there are no sectors). You choose.

Combat is by cards from a combat deck. Some people hate it, some love it. You get a number of cards based on the general, type of attack and some other stuff, including troops. Then each plays a card, comparing them for results, repeating until the battle is resolved. Longer than dice+crt but more evocative of the era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, having played all three games this is what I can tell you:

1)QMG is VERY simple and straightforward; Hannibal is much, MUCH more complex and time consuming.

2)Is also quite different from M44; first of all, Hannibal is a strategic game while M44 is a tactical game! Depth and gameplay are much different.

3)in Hannibal you simply use a separate deck for the occasional combat ( that can or cannot happen! ) but Hannibal is a Card Driven Wargame at heart; on your turn you play a card and either use it as "OPS" points, reinforcements or use it as the event described

4)Have no clue about solo play, sorry!

I am in a hurry now, feel free to ask for more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No solo play. Sorry for that.

It is a card driven game, however with plenty choices for each card play. Depending on the type of the card, you can:

a) Compete for political control of regions/provinces
b) Move your armies, which in turns allows a)
c) play Events featured on cards
d) Move armies overseas
e) Recruit units

Whenever armies meet in the same space, the battle is resolved with a use of a separate, battle deck.

The winner of the game is the one, who controls most of the provinces in the Western Mediterranean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add that Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage is a wonderful game. Many people think it's the best card-driven game (though obviously some would choose Twilight Struggle or Paths of Glory for that accolade.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
No.
Other than cards being part of the game mechanics, not similar at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really like either of those games; sorry!

And it's definitely more complicated than both.

Unless there is a solitaire variant that I don't know about, I would say it plays pretty badly solitaire: a lot of the tension comes from not knowing what cards your opponent has (because the cards limit her tactical choices)

Mike .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.