GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,612 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing scenario #5 Expanding the Bridgehead from this module solo. I used the first edition of this title, a second edition used winterized maps. During the game I made use of the optional rules for gun jamming and random casualties. I did however not use the DRM’s mentioned in the random casualties optional rule. The crops on the map can be ignored, since this battle took place in October 1941.

After crossing the Volkhov River by assault boats, the Spanish Division Azul started to work on expanding the bridgehead established there by taking the village of Russa. Soviet forces had established defensive positions on the outskirts of the village, facing the Spanish bridgehead.

The Spanish attackers moved to the village and assembled an attacking force in the woods, north of the village. The main attack would come from the left, while supporting forces would keep the Soviets occupied on the right near the river bank.

A small hill on the extreme left allowed the placement of light mortars and machineguns, which could lay down fire on the Soviet positions. Making use of smoke grenades, some Spanish infantry squads moved forward towards a workers settlement which consisted of simple wooden buildings.

Soon a first toehold allowed the Spanish troops to get an overview of the Soviet positions, and started feeling for a way into the village.

The troops in the workers settlement bore the brunt of the defensive fire. One of the Spanish machineguns suddenly stopped firing, a weapons jam.

Despite desperate efforts made by the machinegun’s crew, the weapon would be unable to fire for the rest of the attack. Some attacking squads were ready to leave the woods in order to help their fellow soldiers, but some support would have been welcome.

When they broke out of the safety of the woods, the volume of defensive fire increased. Yet the attackers stormed towards the village. Smoke was all around, a thin veil to hide the men that tried to use every fold in the ground for cover. Soon they were upon the first houses. Mayhem reined.

One of the Soviet positions stood its ground, but in another place the defenders melted away. On the right, the exchange of fire started to hurt the Spanish supporting positions. Losses mounted.

More Spanish soldiers move forward, the Soviet positions seemed to crack under the strain. Chaos was all around.

Slowly the defending forces retreated, and house-to-house combat ensued. Turning a corner or crossing an open spot proved to be deadly, but progress was made.

The intensity of the fight also wore down one of the Soviet machineguns. The weapon stuttered and stopped. This allowed some Spanish squads to start moving again.

The battle was starting to get bloody. More melees seemed the order of the day…

…and then, while looking at the scenario card, I realized that I had completely forgotten to bring on the Soviet reinforcements on Turn 4… Ouch!

I had a great time playing this scenario. It was mayhem all around, attackers and defenders breaking, smoke popped, weapons jammed, squads eliminated (the squads on the scenario card that are upside down). I did put a marker on Turn 4 on the card as a reminder for the Soviet reinforcements, but in the heat of battle I must have brushed it aside. A good sign I think.

I do need to play this again soon!

Note: The smoke markers on the scenario card serve as a reminder for me to use smoke grenades during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sava Toufexis
United States
Conesus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We can play it. We have the technology.

Sav
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I have used the 3.091 rules version for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice...Good to see that ATS isn't completely dead

It makes me want to play again, but I have a hard time finding opponents soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
larry marak
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
ATS is alive and thriving...see the advanced Tobruk system facebook group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.