GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Germany

Subject: Visiting Berlin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thumis Dalidalisa
Kazakhstan
Astana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be visiting Berlin Wednesday-Saturday of this week. During the day I will be quite busy but in the evenings I should have some time.

I did a little bit of research and see that on Wednesday there is a game group in Leopoldplatz. Not sure if it is possible to contact anyone in advance?

On Thursday, I saw there is a meet-up in Friedrichshain. Looks a little young for an old man like me ... :-0

On Friday, there is a place on Urbanstrasse.

I'll be spending my daytime hours near Alexanderplatz. Not sure how convenient all the above are to that location.

I like to play all kinds of games. If you give me my choice, I'll play a wargame or heavier game. The idea of Die Macher in Germany sounds very cool!

I don't speak any German.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I was at Leopoldsplatz at Wednesday or at the Urbanstraße on Friday, but I think for both of these it's fine to just go there without contacting anybody. The hosts are friendly and welcoming. Both of these groups prefer Euros; if you are looking for something heavier and meatier, I think Wednesday is your best bet, as there are several fans of heavier Euros there. I recall Friday being more of a light-to-midweight (and also smaller) group.
You should be able to get by without speaking German.

I haven't been to the meetup in Friedrichshain on Thursday. Is it close to the Ostkreuz? Because a friend of mine sometimes goes there, and as I understand it, that group also contains lots of foreigners, so English is actually the most-spoken language there.

Enjoy your stay in Berlin, and make sure you visit www.brettspielgeschaeft.de (U-Bahn Eberswalder Straße) and, if it's not too far away, www.gamers-hq.de (U-Bahn Schlossstraße) if you are looking for great stores!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
Kazakhstan
Astana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks and thanks also for the tip on the shop. This was actually another question I had: In these days of globalization is there anything interesting (games-related) that I can get in Germany that's not available in the United States?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolumel wrote:
In these days of globalization is there anything interesting (games-related) that I can get in Germany that's not available in the United States?

No. Obviously not. But there are things which are easier to get and/or cheaper here. (It's just the same the other way round, when we visit the US.) For instance, you could get a German/English version of Great Western Trail for less than 40 EUR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolumel wrote:
Thanks and thanks also for the tip on the shop. This was actually another question I had: In these days of globalization is there anything interesting (games-related) that I can get in Germany that's not available in the United States?

I think it's more a matter of price and availability. When this question comes up, I frequently read that Glen More is a lot easier to get in Germany when compared to the US.

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization is a lot cheaper here. An English version bought in Germany is probably still cheaper than a regular English copy in the US.

The German box of Guildhall is way smaller than the overblown US box.

I'm sure there are dozens of examples like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borja Morales
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Welcome to Berlin!

I've attended several times to the Meetup in Friedichschain, it is a very international group so it won't be a problem with the language and they play all kind of games but mostly light-medium games.

It is 15 minutes from Alexander Platz with the S-Bahn.

Also I could recommend you for shops www.brettspielgeschaeft.de it is 10 minutes from Alexander Platz in U-Bahn and they have a huge selection of games both in english and german. I will be there this evening, so don't forget to say hello I you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
Kazakhstan
Astana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am going tonight unless work prevents it. See some of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry to hijack this thread- I'm moving to Berlin in July.
Interested to learn more about the Leopoldsplatz group - their location will be closer to where I think I'm going to be working/living.

I've tracked down the Friedrichshain (Thursday) group on FB and Meetup. I'll check them out for sure too.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those visiting Berlin in July should check out: https://hunterundcron.de/berlincon — it is a board game convention on July 15th and 16th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.