GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Tide of Iron: Days of the Fox» Forums » General

Subject: what is this worth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I came across a DotF box with 2 unpunched boards (although a few tiles are loose/falling off), maps in ziplock, all British infantry and bases, rules and reference sheets and sealed card deck.

Artillery, trucks and tanks are all missing.

Is there any value in this "mostly" complete set?

What are complete sets going for now?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, without the armour and guns you will find it dificult to play the scenarios, unles you're willing to proxy. You could use Soviet vehicles and guns found in Fury of the Bear (since the colour is vaguely similar), if you don't mind the historical inaccuracies involved. Alternatively, if you don't have FotB, you could use American stuff from the base game instead.

If you would find proxying jarring, well, the set is not that usable. Off the top of my head, I think there is only one scenario which doesn't use vehicles/guns provided in this set.

The cards, boards and majority of the counters are only used in scenarios provided in this set and the Designer Series Vol. 1 book. However, I assume that to play most of the ones from the book, you would still need British vehicles.

If you just want British infantry, they were also featured in the Normandy expansion which is much easier to get hold of nowadays. The german Panzer III tank also comes in the Stalingrad expansion.

Of course, the set does have some value as a collector's piece but just how much that would be depends entirely on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Complete sets are hard to come by, and their cost varies depending on where it is sold and in what condition. Considering that Days of the Fox is one of the harder expansions to find, even an incomplete set has to be worth something. It is a shame that the important pieces (artillery, trucks, and tanks) are missing. If it had only been the infantry, getting the Normandy expansion is almost a fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made me wonder how you managed to lose the vehicles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

I really don't remember what happened. While cleaning up in the basement, I found this box stuffed away.

I could have added the vehicles to my base game as all is sorted into plastic storage containers or it could have been a garage sale/thrift store/game con buy. (having kids tends to play havoc on the memory)

I will look today and see what I can find.

Robert

PS: are there any desert scenarios with Americans vs Germans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one with a combined Brit/American force. There might be more in the Designr Series book.

PS: When writing my post I was under the impression that you were looking to buy DotF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
still a very helpful post Mike.

surprised there are no American scenarios as N Africa was the USA's baptism by fire for WWII was it not?

should know by noon if the mechanized pieces exist. Too bad the M'44 med pack doesn't have more variance in tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robert t wrote:

N Africa was the USA's baptism by fire for WWII was it not?

'twas for that theater. But there were bad guys on the other side of the world to contend with before Rommel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course. I just meant with regard to TOI is all.

Since there will be no Japanese expansion, we are left with the European theatre.

In this light, I am surprised an American company produced a WWII game and N. Africa expansion only to include scenarios with the USA fighting Germany in Europe.

A a side note, I found my missing tanks/artillery. (mixed in with another game...whistlewhistlewhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fantastic news! Enjoy.

And yeah, too bad about the PTO. Adding the Japanese army to the ToI family would be fantastic. The line just seems to be missing something... seems incomplete without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure FF pulled the licence just before selling out to Asmodee.
Probably made it a condition of the sale. No licence agreements to honour by the new owner.

Too bad really as Bill from 1A games had DOTF almost done and was starting on a 1 or 2 game Japanese expansion(s). Early and late war or Japan vs America and Japan vs the UK/ANZAC.

That would have been glorious. I think a great opportunity was missed by FF in not promoting this game. They were at the point where small expansions would work. (i.e. France, Italy, ...) Memoir '44 had the right idea with smaller expansions for less money. People bought two $30 expansions more readily than plopping down $70-$80 for one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid there's more to it than that. M44 is a very simple kids-friendly game (even the artwork is more simplified, cartoony almost) and can be sold by a variety of outlets, including toystores, to a wider audience. ToI is much more involved and the target gropup is significantlly smaller. I'm no expert, but I'd also assume it's more expensive to produce, what with more varied, better quality models and components. No wonder it didn't turn as much a profit as M44.

Having said that, for me (a "serious" gamer who nevertheless finds most traditional wargames too long and heavy) ToI is perfect and I do believe there is still market for it. I'd love to see a Pacific Front expansion and I fully agree that it would complete the line: 5 distinct nations and 4 theartes of operations... the thought alone makes me smile!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I meant was expansion size not game specifics. (And here anyway, M'44 is a war-game so not found in stores with clue/monopoly)

What M'44 did right.

Sold winter and desert maps separately.

Imagine the weight and size difference that would mean to DOTF and FOTB! The costs would drop as well.

A terrain pack for tiles found in expansions.

Having a generic board with a lot of tiles sucks, but keeping 6-9 boards butted up to each other isn't much fun either.

Infantry bases are innovative to be sure, but are they necessary? A plastic clip to hold the few specialization tokens upright would also work. Keeping different squads apart would be tricky though...

Anyway, having seen TOI demoed before it was even printed and watching the excitement from the FF guy, it really is a shame this game now gathers dust in some remote corner of FFs warehouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.