GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,578 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

878: Vikings – Invasions of England» Forums » General

Subject: Debating which add-ons to get??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm picking up Frigg's Vision, and looking at the add-ons.

So far, the add-ons that are clear to me that I want are the army cubes, the pewter ships, and 2x of the sleeves.

I'm curious whether anyone is planning on picking up extras of the leaders, building, or army miniatures?

Is there any game variant that would make getting more of any of these worthwhile?

Is there another game that an extra pack could be used for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
I'm picking up Frigg's Vision, and looking at the add-ons.

So far, the add-ons that are clear to me that I want are the army cubes, the pewter ships, and 2x of the sleeves.

I'm curious whether anyone is planning on picking up extras of the leaders, building, or army miniatures?

Is there any game variant that would make getting more of any of these worthwhile?

Is there another game that an extra pack could be used for?

I am picking up a set of the building minis to use as cities, settlements and forts for War of the Ring. I think they will make a nice addition to my anniversary edition, with a bit of painting.

The leader minis are a strange scale, and I actually like the standees so I do not plan to get those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bclayj wrote:
I am picking up a set of the building minis to use as cities, settlements and forts for War of the Ring. I think they will make a nice addition to my anniversary edition, with a bit of painting.

I just received the northern (4D Hobbit puzzle pieces) set of these today for WotR AE:

The southern set (LoTR puzzle) should be here this week.

Not impressed with the paint job, but OMG... Hobbiton, Dale, Lonely Mountain....

Amazon had the northern map on sale, and ThinkGeek had the southern map on sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting the bigger map. It looks nice and I have a large table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davis Stringer
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I went for all of it I guess:

I got the big map, leader minis, building minis, and blocks

I figure to use the blocks with the smaller map when at the hunting camp or other places where a smaller footprint is needed.

The leader stands look cool and remind me of the ones in Star Wars: Rebellion. I guess I just want the option of the minis.

The extra set of unit minis was very tempting and I didn't know about them until doing the survey. In the end, I just couldn't think of what I would need them for.

Also got Freedom and 1754. I recently bought 1775 and have enjoyed it. Added the wooden card holders for 1775 on the survey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pinner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Am curious: what is the point of the cubes? Aren't they replaced by little miniatures? Or do you think that the cubes will be simpler? The cubes are certainly an inexpensive add-on. I thought about but didn't see the point.

Would welcome thoughts as I think there's still time to change our mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with the giant map, leader minis, and card sleeves. I like the bigger map just for ease of visualization so things don't get cluttered as some wargames can get. I liked the leader minis despite the larger scale because I was concerned the standees would occlude what's behind it, disrupting my clear view of the battle map. And I went with the card sleeves because they are a reasonably priced way to protect the oft handled cards.

As I understand it, Acadamy war games previously used cubes to represent their units on the board. Vikings will be the first time they use minis instead. But they were gracious enough to also include cubes as an inexpensive add-on for those that prefer to continue using cubes instead of minis. Kudos to them for expanding their game's contents without alienating the previous fans of their games. I, personally, enjoy seeing minis on the board. But I can also see the practicality of the cubes. They don't take much space and stack easily if necessary. Clusters of minis can become very cluttered. I've never played games with cubes before, but I have played war games with unit chits. It was always easy to move a stack a chits. I'm sure moving stacks of minis won't be so easy to keep organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized this is gonna be $112 CAD so I'm not adding anything to my pledge as the core price isn't leaving much room for luxury addons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like the giant map, but on the fence about the building minis. Are they just cards if you don't get the minis? I don't see many in this thread saying they are going for the buildings. What are people's thoughts on these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone on the fence about the giant map... with Mare Nostrum I went out on a limb and and got it.

After seeing it... this time it was a no-brainer. Definitely getting it.

As for the cubes, I love minis. I have often hunted down minis to replace cubes. But, just in case I change my mind $5 is cheap insurance.

As for the building minis, I love the minis from Fief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Oh man this is difficult. I got the $120 level with 1754 game. I may opt for the buildings and leaders minis, cubes, pewter ships.

Really on the fence about the expensive giant map and cubes, extra army minis.

Thinking about the card holders are they good also?

What is the use of the giant map ? It it really that good? The graphics are kind of plain though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick, your comment about the giant map convinced me! I went for the map and the buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Petsas
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It seems that cubes are a good replacement option for those that think of painting the minis.. You can temporarily replace a faction being painted with the corresponding cubes.. Not a bad option at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davis Stringer
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David from what I can tell I'd say the leader and building minis probably are the least necessary add ons. The leader stands look great and the building as tiles are fine. I got the minis just because if I am going to trick out my first ever kickstarter then I'm gonna trick it out all the way. I'm sure the leaders and tiles are fine. I just wanted the option of minis in what I believe is going to be an epic game.

There are many uses for cubes and for $5 it's worth getting them just in case, especially for those that don't opt for the big map. Different people have different ideas of what a cluttered map is. In an earlier post I mentioned I'm going to use the smaller map when I have to set the game up in a smaller footprint and then may use the blocks if I feel the minis don't have enough room to breathe. Personally, I'm looking forward to the big map. I've always wanted to play a game where all writing, symbols, and map whatnot were comfortably visible at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be a boardgamer like you, then I took a dice bag to the knee from Tonya Harding
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up going with big map, leader minis, cubes. didnt care for the building mini's. the chits seemed to have buildings burning/on fire, which the mini's dont 'show', and I think I'd prefer cubes over the base single colour sculpts. I think the leader minis with cubes on the big map will look sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.