GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,638 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Of Dreams & Shadows» Forums » Rules

Subject: Call of Storm against a Villain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Severí Vinyoles

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A doubt arised yesterday, when Selene could use a spell against Arawn. The card says that as an action it may inflict 1D6 damage to a Foe, but Arawn is not exactly a Foe, but a Villain. In such cases, when a combat card refers to a Foe, are Villains regarded Foes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Lycaon wrote:
A doubte arised yesterday, when Selene could use a spell against Arawn. The card says that as an action it may inflict 1D& damage to a Foe, but Arawn is not exactly a Foe, but a Villain. In such cases, when a combat card refers to a Foe, are Villains regarded Foes?

When Villains are in play, they do count as Foes. Selene can cast Call the Storm to damage Arawn, but only if she also has a Quest token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severí Vinyoles

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks. That's what I had interpreted. Anyway it's amazing how a weakling like Selene can become a killing machine, once she acquires "Call the Storm".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lycaon wrote:
Many thanks. That's what I had interpreted. Anyway it's amazing how a weakling like Selene can become a killing machine, once she acquires "Call the Storm".

Indeed. We had two players with that. I had it for most of the game. Then another player got one and we ended up killing the dragon on consecutive actions by rolling well... it was a bit anticlimactic really...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep an eye on this spell. It's really rare to have both copies out and it is meant to be powerful, but if it becomes an issue I'll put out an errata and change it to flat damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good idea Gordon.

I can see where this might be rare.

We were burning through cards as much to see what else was in the deck as anything - buy done, trash one - so we may have been more likely to run into it as a result.

I had Brom (initially our only "Spirit-Touched" character) and I chose him because we needed someone who could cast spells. Initially I found him to be a little weak and avoided fights when possible - but when I got "Call of Storm" I started to wade in...

Just a suggestion - if you do decide to amend the spell - perhaps make it a die roll for a regular or epic foe, and either a flat damage for the more powerful villain. I think that would be thematic. An alternative to the flat damage would be to have it become a half-roll when used against a villain, similar to the longbow...

(I also fear that just making it a flat damage all around will weaken those who start the game as Spirit-Touched a little too much)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Good suggestions, will keep in mind. Spirit-Touched characters will also be getting quite a bit of love in the expansion (several more spells including ones that help control the board).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severí Vinyoles

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, "Call the Storm" is one of the few ways to make characters like Selene -who otherwise are clearly weak in comparison- can fight and become decisive, beyond going to quests or supporting the "stronger" characters. I think it's perfect how does it work now, but it's up to the designer..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lycaon wrote:
In my experience, "Call the Storm" is one of the few ways to make characters like Selene -who otherwise are clearly weak in comparison- can fight and become decisive, beyond going to quests or supporting the "stronger" characters. I think it's perfect how does it work now, but it's up to the designer..

This is certainly the case early on but in Act II, as we encountered, having a killing machine (or, worse yet, two) during the action​ phase can really unbalance things - hence my last suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Lycaon wrote:

This is certainly the case early on but in Act II, as we encountered, having a killing machine (or, worse yet, two) during the action​ phase can really unbalance things - hence my last suggestion.

I agree that this is too powerful vs villains. It's pretty easy to get 2 actions against a villain and this spell has an expected value of 7 damage with 2 uses. That will mostly kill villains before any combat occurs. This doesn't even account for possibly having 2 characters doing an expected 14 easy damage if you can get 2 copies of the spell.

I feel like an easy fix would be to rule that villains are not foes. Then, this spell can wreck foes but combat would be required for villains. We played it this way and still won with the spellcaster finishing off the dragon with combat. This also opens design space for cards to target foes or villains as separate entities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This might be a really stupid question, but can you use Willpower to increase the roll for Call the Storm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
No, you can't use Willpower to increase the damage roll for Call the Storm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.